Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Surprised they didn’t call it a COVID-induced psychiatric disturbance and then refuse admission to the psych floor.
    A) Don't give Them any suggestions.
    B) Stateofmyhead didn't say they actually accepted the patient without a 7 day ER boarding/quarantine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post

I was in CVS a month ago or so. It was late at night, no one was there, and I was checking out. As I left, the cashier said I could have two of those free N95s…. Apparently, not many takers. I said, “that’s ok, save them for somebody else.” I smiled, and she burst out laughing. Neither of us were wearing masks. …..Life in Florida.

I have not seen a single case of COVID in a month or two? I can’t remember now…. And most people stopped wearing masks in public in 2020 around here.

I found it strange that in the State of the Union, Biden was talking about getting “free” COVID tests out to people. Is anyone seeing any COVID at all out there at this point?
      I tested about 10 people this week with two positives.

In contrast to my heaviest weekend January I tested about 40 people with 35 positives.

There's still a lot of crud out there so people are still getting sick with a respiratory illnesses but the percentage of it being covid is much less. Our hospital numbers have improved dramatically too. It is quickly disappearing from our area but still remnants around.

Master still required in healthcare settings but local businesses and other public areas gave up on them a few weeks ago and schools just lifted it this past week. It's still "strongly encouraged" but I don't see anybody wearing masks except for maybe 10%.

Unfortunately a big chunk of my life is at work and I think we're going to be required to wear masks and a healthcare setting for quite some time. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Comment

• Originally posted by G View Post

A) Don't give Them any suggestions.
        B) Stateofmyhead didn't say they actually accepted the patient without a 7 day ER boarding/quarantine.
        A) ^^This!
        B) No in fact they did not and the two "covid psych" units in the state have closed so they board or after a few days are considered stabilized and discharge

Comment

• Almost back down to preOmicron levels here - 700-1000 cases/day at county level whereas base was about 500/day. Prevalence probably a bit higher since home testing so available now.

Hospitalizations/ICU ratios nearly back to delta levels. Those vaccinated typically turn around or succumb rather quickly due to high risk underlying/low reserves.

The long haul people in trouble and large portion of the primary COVID hospitalizations remain the previously healthy+unvaccinated

As this whole pandemic, FL has been the canary being a large entry point for Southern Hemisphere travel and low public restrictions. This is a good sign for Spring/Summer and hopefully not another cycle until Fall/Winter.

Still betting on future guidance to be seasonal update Flu+Covid shot.

Comment

• DS's GF and then DS2 tested positive 10 days ago. Both had been triple vaxxed with most recent dose in December. GF was flu-like and URI. DS had sore throat. Both feeling well now. We still have indoor mask mandate likely until end of the month. Hospital and ICU numbers are way down and very manageable. Hopefully a quiet summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
              "A Conversation with Dr. Fauci - Woke AF Daily"
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Rh3egdlPE.

Just yesterday, Dr. Fauci is still making the rounds. Not however a sought after expert valued by political scientists. He had a great run!
              Come the fall elections, my guess he will retire. I doubt the country will ever get a factual history of the origin of Covid and the actual data that was gathered.
              RIP Dr. Fauci. I do hope this never turns into a political issue again. I can hope. The embers on the fire are still smouldering.
              Well I watched the video and it is an odd venue for him, kind of like a former star that's now playing Holiday Inn lounges. In a way I feel sorry for the guy, he's a scientist/physician that was put in the role of social messenger and never appeared to get much useful guidance from either administration.

There will be some interesting books written about COVID, some might even be accurate. And I understand it's not over, we will likely see more spikes and variants

It's an interesting comment hoping pandemics won't turn into political issues again, because to me it's inevitable they will and should. I think it was a mistake for the government to defer to the CDC, since the pandemic response had to strike a pragmatic balance between science, economics, manufacturing, supply chains and many other factors the CDC knows little about.. For better or worse the people to do that are going to be politicians.

The goal should be to come up with a plan that seems reasonable and practical then explain it in such a way that most people will buy in. I don't know that I ever felt that on a national level. Maybe that's what New Yorkers were getting from Cuomo for a while though he turned out to have his own flaws.

Comment

• CDC is a pragmatic political health machine.

NIH is the more scientific branch.

Fauchi was drafted into an impossible political task.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  "A Conversation with Dr. Fauci - Woke AF Daily"
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Rh3egdlPE.

Just yesterday, Dr. Fauci is still making the rounds. Not however a sought after expert valued by political scientists. He had a great run!
                  Come the fall elections, my guess he will retire. I doubt the country will ever get a factual history of the origin of Covid and the actual data that was gathered.
                  RIP Dr. Fauci. I do hope this never turns into a political issue again. I can hope. The embers on the fire are still smouldering.

I bet he thought 'Woke AF' was really 'Woke Aspergillus Fungi'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

I tested about 10 people this week with two positives.

In contrast to my heaviest weekend January I tested about 40 people with 35 positives.

There's still a lot of crud out there so people are still getting sick with a respiratory illnesses but the percentage of it being covid is much less. Our hospital numbers have improved dramatically too. It is quickly disappearing from our area but still remnants around.

Master still required in healthcare settings but local businesses and other public areas gave up on them a few weeks ago and schools just lifted it this past week. It's still "strongly encouraged" but I don't see anybody wearing masks except for maybe 10%.

Unfortunately a big chunk of my life is at work and I think we're going to be required to wear masks and a healthcare setting for quite some time. I would love to be proved wrong though.
                    Honestly, until we improve indoor ventilation, it seems safer for patients even with the flu etc. I don't find masking in healthcare objectionable at all; quite the contrary. I think it will make healthcare much safer for frail patients.

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post

Honestly, until we improve indoor ventilation, it seems safer for patients even with the flu etc. I don't find masking in healthcare objectionable at all; quite the contrary. I think it will make healthcare much safer for frail patients.
                      I feel the same if someone is sick. But for every other interaction I look forward to going back to normal.

Comment

I feel the same if someone is sick. But for every other interaction I look forward to going back to normal.
                        I think the concern is you getting the patient sick, not your health- don't you treat immunosuppressed patients and elders? How will they be able to avoid asymptomatic transmission from you and other caregivers?

Comment

I think the concern is you getting the patient sick, not your health- don't you treat immunosuppressed patients and elders? How will they be able to avoid asymptomatic transmission from you and other caregivers?
                          I treated the same people 3 years ago. I didn't wear a mask during cough and cold season to protect them back then. I don't plan to always assume I am an asymptomatic spreader.

I don't argue about the mask. I wear it when required. But I do not like it and look forward to it not being required. If some people want to mask forever that is fine. I am not going to judge them.

Comment

I treated the same people 3 years ago. I didn't wear a mask during cough and cold season to protect them back then. I don't plan to always assume I am an asymptomatic spreader.

I don't argue about the mask. I wear it when required. But I do not like it and look forward to it not being required. If some people want to mask forever that is fine. I am not going to judge them.
                            But we are discovering more and more nosocomial transmission of all viruses within healthcare settings to patients. Shouldn't a healthcare setting be a safe place for the immunosuppressed and elderly?
                            Your logic makes no sense- Covid didn't exist prior to 2020, so of course we didn't mask for it. But it exists now, with no effective vaccine for people with certain medical conditions. Until we have such a vaccine or preventive treatment, they are at higher risk, still. Additionally, we have dispensed with the ridiculous droplet dogma and realize that viruses are transmitted by aerosols, and that healthcare settings are centers of viral spread.

Are you going to warn your patients of this increased risk? Improve ventilation? Or just not worry about their safety? Or advise them not to seek care?

Comment

But we are discovering more and more nosocomial transmission of all viruses within healthcare settings to patients. Shouldn't a healthcare setting be a safe place for the immunosuppressed and elderly?
                              Your logic makes no sense- Covid didn't exist prior to 2020, so of course we didn't mask for it. But it exists now, with no effective vaccine for people with certain medical conditions. Until we have such a vaccine or preventive treatment, they are at higher risk, still. Additionally, we have dispensed with the ridiculous droplet dogma and realize that viruses are transmitted by aerosols, and that healthcare settings are centers of viral spread.

Are you going to warn your patients of this increased risk? Improve ventilation? Or just not worry about their safety? Or advise them not to seek care?
                              Do you tell your patients to drive only when absolutely necessary to cut down on MVAs?

There is some level of risk in everything in live and we cannot eliminate it. Sometimes we can reduce it but there comes a point where there is practically no benefit.

Covid has brought infectious disease practices into view. It is good to improve things and make changes when justified but I do not see any evidence or experts suggesting masking should be indefinite.

If you want to fine. No one is stopping you.

If you only want to see a physician who holds they same conviction that might be more tricky but I am sure there will be a few like minded people out there for a few more years.

However as of now nothing has changed. I wear a mask with all my patient encounters. I just am saying I look forward to not having to. I am surprised that is a contentious viewpoint.

Comment

Do you tell your patients to drive only when absolutely necessary to cut down on MVAs?

There is some level of risk in everything in live and we cannot eliminate it. Sometimes we can reduce it but there comes a point where there is practically no benefit.

Covid has brought infectious disease practices into view. It is good to improve things and make changes when justified but I do not see any evidence or experts suggesting masking should be indefinite.

If you want to fine. No one is stopping you.

If you only want to see a physician who holds they same conviction that might be more tricky but I am sure there will be a few like minded people out there for a few more years.

However as of now nothing has changed. I wear a mask with all my patient encounters. I just am saying I look forward to not having to. I am surprised that is a contentious viewpoint.
                                I mean, we obsess over hand washing in the hospital- this is much less of a patient safety issue than masking/ventilation. We don't tell patients they have to assume the risk of caregivers with unwashed hands, which is arguably much less of a risk than an unmasked caregiver.

Cases may stay at the level they are now permanently, give or take- so how would we decide when not to mask?

Comment

Working...
                                X