Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MaxPower View Post

    Which is why we need to stop reporting/caring about positive case numbers, which at this point are mostly irrelevant, if not entirely irrelevant. Hospitalizations and ICU admissions for Covid are the only important metrics at this point.
    It would be nice to have goals that can actual find the balance. Hospitals and ICU's to actually be used. The question is for what? Equalibrium?
    Hey, covid is paying the bills too!

    Comment


    • Saw an interesting topic in the news the other day; since the court document appears to cite the pandemic as an impetus for the lawsuit (implying that the pandemic made it a hardship to replace employees who were leaving, I think), I decided to post it in this thread rather than make a new one.

      As I understand it, one health system sued a competing health system to get a judge to require the employees that were leaving one job for another to remain at the hospital to provide patient care to the health system they resigned from. The judge initially granted the request to the organization bringing the suit, and then reversed the decision.

      https://www.wpr.org/thedacare-loses-...f-who-resigned

      Comment


      • Originally posted by redsand View Post
        Saw an interesting topic in the news the other day; since the court document appears to cite the pandemic as an impetus for the lawsuit (implying that the pandemic made it a hardship to replace employees who were leaving, I think), I decided to post it in this thread rather than make a new one.

        As I understand it, one health system sued a competing health system to get a judge to require the employees that were leaving one job for another to remain at the hospital to provide patient care to the health system they resigned from. The judge initially granted the request to the organization bringing the suit, and then reversed the decision.

        https://www.wpr.org/thedacare-loses-...f-who-resigned
        Those employees didn't have a non-compete or anything right? I guess the hospital really won't love you back! My own hospital would rather pay agency nurses and staff big money instead of giving the regular staff a raise. And therefore, we have a lot of new faces around because tons of people left.

        Comment


        • On the lighter side, bumper sticker.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post

            Those employees didn't have a non-compete or anything right? I guess the hospital really won't love you back! My own hospital would rather pay agency nurses and staff big money instead of giving the regular staff a raise. And therefore, we have a lot of new faces around because tons of people left.
            My hospital apparently doesn't want to pay agency nurses NOR give regular staff a raise. And therefore we have a lot less faces around.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post

              Those employees didn't have a non-compete or anything right? I guess the hospital really won't love you back! My own hospital would rather pay agency nurses and staff big money instead of giving the regular staff a raise. And therefore, we have a lot of new faces around because tons of people left.
              From my understanding the employees were techs and nurses. I’m not sure how common non-competes are for those types of positions, if they exist at all. And to make it even worse, they went back to their current hospital and told them about the new offer, asking them to match, and they refused. So the 7 turned in their notice and then the prior hospital got upset and filed the injunction.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post

                Those employees didn't have a non-compete or anything right? I guess the hospital really won't love you back! My own hospital would rather pay agency nurses and staff big money instead of giving the regular staff a raise. And therefore, we have a lot of new faces around because tons of people left.
                I don't believe there were non-competes in place, based on what I read. If there had been, I imagine a non-compete would be like one they have for physicians, to prevent an employee to work for another within a geographic distance of the employer, for some amount of time. It sounds like the former employer sued them to keep the employees (or at least a portion of them) working for them, rather than to sue for a violation of a non-compete.

                Comment


                • At least 7000 people in NY with fake vaccination cards.
                  https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/29/long...5-million.html
                  Two nurses pulled in $1.5m in three months.
                  NP side hustle I guess.

                  .

                  Comment


                  • Johns Hopkins Analysis: ‘Lockdowns Should be Rejected Out of Hand’

                    https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...d-out-of-hand/

                    The biggest take away: "To which I would add another: We can never squelch free discourse and debate on public-health issues again."



                    Comment


                    • https://usafacts.org/visualizations/...19-spread-map/

                      Have not seen much progress in vaccine mandates or mask mandates.
                      I have seen that mandates are still being resisted and actually causing a lot of social disruption and some potential harm (debatable). School kids, airline conflicts, and supply chain (vendors and truckers) are the most headliners.

                      Have not received the free test kits and the forced terminations are still in process. Those are a function of political power. I feel for an old man getting arrested for honking his horn and a convoy of truckers being painted as Nazi's and insurrectionists. Yes, maybe some are. That is not the question. I find it "funny" that mandates are being removed the week after the Super Bowl! I also find it ironic that the person that is most at risk is the only one not wearing a mask.
                      https://usafacts.org/visualizations/...tracker-states

                      I am struggling with the narrative that many of the mandates actually cause a severe drop in covid cases. The results of different states do not seem to alter the course of infections and deaths. They should, but the numbers don't really support the conclusions. The default is mandates have not made much difference.
                      I still have not seen the free N-95's yet either. Yes, vulnerable populations need to have precautions available. I do not think there is any question about that.

                      The question is have mandates actually had any impact? If not, don't do it. It is not an ethical question, it is whether mandates themselves are effective.
                      Counterpoint: Sad result for some kids.
                      https://news.yahoo.com/10-old-girl-d...142436672.html
                      Last edited by Tim; 02-09-2022, 01:41 PM.

                      Comment


                      • "A Conversation with Dr. Fauci - Woke AF Daily"
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Rh3egdlPE.

                        Just yesterday, Dr. Fauci is still making the rounds. Not however a sought after expert valued by political scientists. He had a great run!
                        Come the fall elections, my guess he will retire. I doubt the country will ever get a factual history of the origin of Covid and the actual data that was gathered.
                        RIP Dr. Fauci. I do hope this never turns into a political issue again. I can hope. The embers on the fire are still smouldering.








                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          "A Conversation with Dr. Fauci - Woke AF Daily"
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Rh3egdlPE.

                          Just yesterday, Dr. Fauci is still making the rounds. Not however a sought after expert valued by political scientists. He had a great run!
                          Come the fall elections, my guess he will retire. I doubt the country will ever get a factual history of the origin of Covid and the actual data that was gathered.
                          RIP Dr. Fauci. I do hope this never turns into a political issue again. I can hope. The embers on the fire are still smouldering.
                          I was in CVS a month ago or so. It was late at night, no one was there, and I was checking out. As I left, the cashier said I could have two of those free N95s…. Apparently, not many takers. I said, “that’s ok, save them for somebody else.” I smiled, and she burst out laughing. Neither of us were wearing masks. …..Life in Florida.

                          I have not seen a single case of COVID in a month or two? I can’t remember now…. And most people stopped wearing masks in public in 2020 around here.

                          I found it strange that in the State of the Union, Biden was talking about getting “free” COVID tests out to people. Is anyone seeing any COVID at all out there at this point?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post
                            I found it strange that in the State of the Union, Biden was talking about getting “free” COVID tests out to people. Is anyone seeing any COVID at all out there at this point?
                            I had a case a week or so ago. She had appendicitis and was going to surgery. They were still testing before surgery and she was positive. No symptoms. Cases have really fallen off a cliff here like they have everywhere else.

                            Comment


                            • One in the ED last week, asymptomatic screening test for psych admission.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post
                                One in the ED last week, asymptomatic screening test for psych admission.
                                Surprised they didn’t call it a COVID-induced psychiatric disturbance and then refuse admission to the psych floor.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X