Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shant View Post
    It is amazing to me how some people think needing to repeat every year is a reason to not get vaccinated at all. I presume they forego eating, sleeping and having sex for the same reason.
    Don't be ridiculous. Those things are natural. I only put natural things into my body. Now excuse me while I go smoke, eat fast food, and wash it down with Mountain Dew. Oh and I ran out of CBD gummies I better swing by the gas station to pick some up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

Don't be ridiculous. Those things are natural. I only put natural things into my body. Now excuse me while I go smoke, eat fast food, and wash it down with Mountain Dew. Oh and I ran out of CBD gummies I better swing by the gas station to pick some up.
      Mountain Dew is harvested on only the coolest of mornings deep in the Appalachian Mountains. Straight from the ground like Mother Nature intended.

Comment

• Originally posted by nephron View Post
        When you have some 40% of deer showing evidence of prior covid infections, you should probably step back and realize that the disease isn't going away by instituting mandatory testing and quarantining at your artificial "borders".
        Right. A lot of these policies haven't made sense for a long time, considering how ineffective they have been. I thought the travel restrictions placed on South Africa were especially ridiculous - we basically penalized them for their scientists being the first to classify the Omicron strain. Meanwhile, we act as if the virus respects state lines. At some point, our policy makers will have to face the music.

Comment

• Interesting data coming through with our hospitalizations this past two weeks.

Surge still active: 10-14k daily reported cases this week and probably a lot higher since many doing home Ag testing and simply not PCR confirming.

Hospitalizations: steady 140 - now there's a notable separation of primary covid stablized at 80 vs secondary covid+ incidental to primary reason for hospitalization -- reflecting a growing endemic situation that we haven't seen before other surges.

60% remain unvaccinated/30 vac/10 boosted

Ventilated: 88% unvaccinated 12 vac 0 boosted.

--pretty solid data remains supporting that vaccinated high risk still high risk, but have good chances to survive covid while the unvaccinated get to draw from the deck and see if they pull a spades or the ultimately the queen.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
            Well, it has happened. Oldest daughter in high school, double vaccinated just over 6 months ago, had symptoms (felt cold, cough, loss of appetite) starting earlier today after being out and about with wife and son (basketball games, store). Used at home antigen test and she tested positive. Son, who is ten, had his second vaccine less than a month ago, and wife had her second about 9 months ago (but no booster). Neither of them have shown any symptoms. Neither have any medical problems.

Other daughter and I happen to be out of town at a sports tournament, having left yesterday. Neither of us have any symptoms whatsoever. I was boosted about 2 months ago, and this daughter is also just over 6 months out from second vaccination. Now the question is, do daughter and I go to a hotel after we get home, or do we just assume we probably already got it, being exposed before we left, and go straight home? Do we isolate until 5 days post-exposure (which would have been yesterday) and then test? Do we just go home and everyone wear masks? I assume the likelihood of this working is about as close to 0% as you can get without being 0.

I swept out our garage earlier in the week but stupidly didn’t think to wear a mask. For a couple of days afterwards I had increased cough, nasal discharge (full of dust/debris), and congestion, but I assumed it was due to that. I had no other symptoms. Did I have Covid and pass it on to my daughter, who is now showing symptoms?
            Daughter who tested positive was basically completely asymptomatic 3 days after her positive test and went back to school, masked, on day 6 from onset of symptoms. Other two kids have shown zero symptoms of anything. Wife had some congestion and cough for a couple of days, then severe dizziness one day (made better by ibuprofen) and is fine. I had a sore throat for half a day, then dry cough and congestion for going on 4 days now. Also we’ve both felt fatigued, but that’s also just part of being old. Congestion was worse this morning and felt more like sinus congestion than just in my nose, but cough so far seems better. I’m the only one boosted, too 🤦🏻‍♂️

Kids want to go back to school unmasked, like >80% of their peers (it’s voluntary here). Once we’ve run through it at our house, I see no reason to make them mask up at school anymore. Any other opinions?

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxPower View Post
              Kids want to go back to school unmasked, like >80% of their peers (it’s voluntary here). Once we’ve run through it at our house, I see no reason to make them mask up at school anymore. Any other opinions?
              Masks are only necessary for them if the bottom half of their face is incredibly ugly.

Comment

• Glad family recovering without issues.

Mask until day 10 or home isolation until day 10 are current guidelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                  Glad family recovering without issues.

Mask until day 10 or home isolation until day 10 are current guidelines.
                  Yeah that’s what we’ve been doing as far as school goes. No masking at home, just where required by school after infection/exposure. I think we will discontinue school mask wearing. My teenagers will be ecstatic.

Comment

• I know that the cdc cites data on masking on school as being effective at preventing school closures due to outbreaks, but I have a hard time believing that data. If you look at how students wear their masks while in school, it's hard to imagine them being effective in anywhere other then an "theoretical" setting. I don't think that this data is published yet, but different states making different mask mandates creates an easy to interpret cohort study on whether or not mask mandates work. I haven't looked at this data carefully either, but given the higher number of deaths reported in democratically run states, I can't imagine them showing a significant benefit with mask mandates in outcomes. Masks, surgical or n-95 masks, certainly are effective in anecdotal or controlled experimental settings. I think that the problem is that you have so many people who wear their masks under their nose or around their chin, any benefit of mask mandates are effectively diluted out when looking at real world examples. I think that the vast majority of infections are from close contacts (family, friends, co-workers, etc) where mask wearing maybe even more lax so it's hard to show any benefit. As far as I know, I have never had covid and continue to wear a mask whenever in public and think that it is beneficial when people around me are masked but can imagine why it'd be hard to show that as benefit in studies.

This mass free home testing distribution and now n-95 distribution is completely without any evidence of benefit for public health. If you can't convince people to wear a surgical mask in public, I'm not sure why anyone would think an n-95 would be better. If anyone from the cdc who came up with the policy of distributing "free" n-95's to the general public walked around a covid hospital floor or even an ER and looked at the compliance of n-95 usage when not in patient rooms, I think that they would realize that it was a pretty stupid idea and and a waste of money. I doubt the people proposing free n-95 masks for the general public have even worn an n-95 for a whole day. This distribution of "free" stuff is less about public health then it is about re-distributing wealth and creating "equity over equality". It's not hard to see why there are large swath's of the country concerned about government over-reach when they see the government ignoring common sense data such as data over previous infections providing some degree of immunity over new infections.

Comment

• I just hope policy keeps up with the data. I'm sure it's not going to but I can still hope.

There was a positive case in my kids daycare room. One of my kids was exposed. He is now on quarantine but unfortunately even though my other kids are not on quarantine the daycare does not allow any of them to come back until we are all off quarantine. My older child can still go to school but he cannot do after school at the daycare. This really puts a wrench in our work schedule for this coming week.

Comment

• Originally posted by nephron View Post
                        This mass free home testing distribution and now n-95 distribution is completely without any evidence of benefit for public health. If you can't convince people to wear a surgical mask in public, I'm not sure why anyone would think an n-95 would be better. If anyone from the cdc who came up with the policy of distributing "free" n-95's to the general public walked around a covid hospital floor or even an ER and looked at the compliance of n-95 usage when not in patient rooms, I think that they would realize that it was a pretty stupid idea and and a waste of money. I doubt the people proposing free n-95 masks for the general public have even worn an n-95 for a whole day. This distribution of "free" stuff is less about public health then it is about re-distributing wealth and creating "equity over equality". It's not hard to see why there are large swath's of the country concerned about government over-reach when they see the government ignoring common sense data such as data over previous infections providing some degree of immunity over new infections.
                        I think it's mostly about the illusion of doing something. Cases are going to naturally fall then they can claim they fell because they did things.

Comment

• We dropped off pretty fast. I have not seen a COVID patient in the last 3 shifts. They seem to have dried up relatively quickly. Volumes are dropping of fast overall.

Sending free COVID tests to people’s houses in the mail, and giving out free N95s is a colossal waste of time, money, and effort, and is basically political panicking and desperation over recent poll numbers.

Comment

• Yes, that's what really bothers me. My office manager recently purchased a new printer for 200 dollars when I was able to find the same one on amazon for 100 dollars. She didn't seem to care, just said that we use whatever vendor my employer has an agreement for and doesn't shop it around. That comes out of my salary. That's real money they are spending on home tests and n-95 masks. I wish there were some way to extract some of the money from the people who come up with these asinine non-evidence based proposals. Like maybe extract the payments for all the n-95 masks they are going to purchase directly from the salaries from the people who work for the cdc. I really dislike them.

Comment

• Theatre. Yep.

Temperature checks. Cleaning the floors in the lobby, Shutting down flights one week after discovery of something that already spread weeks ago. Home free testing and n95 masks for all -- theatre.

There's no more slowing the spread as Omicron just spreads.

Society help to is manage this endemically as we always have:
                              1. Immunizations
                              2. Oral therapeutics

Masks can help the individual now but that's about it. want to reduce YOUR risk? mask up.

Systemwide -- immunize and SCOTUS ruled -- workplace up to the employer and insurances can dictate to their clients.

So go work for the employer who matches your convictions/scruples/beliefs

Follow your insurance dictates or get one that matches yours.

--The Omicron surge isn't over here in San Diego. 14k cases yesterday and steady: 10-14k - off peaks, but hasn't subsided quite yet as schools driving the plateau a bit. Hospitalizations steady. ICU steady.

--and my daughter's roommate just COVID+ a second time (delta over summer). joy.

Comment

• Experts questioned whether the Moderna boosters work.

The company value has fallen by 133B and is now worth only 65B. The stock price has fallen from $484 per share to $160. Stock behaving like Rivian.

Shows the risk of single stock investing. Roller Coaster rides.

Comment

Working...
                                X