X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post

Get boosted, that's for sure.
    Serious question:
    Does a booster actually increase the prevention of being infected by Omicron?
    Does a booster actually decrease the severity of an infection by Omicron?

I understand it increases the presence of the strength of the level of vaccination, but my moronic question is what is actually the benefit specific to Omicron.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post

Serious question:

I understand it increases the presence of the strength of the level of vaccination, but my moronic question is what is actually the benefit specific to Omicron.
      Maybe.... probably if you make me bet....just by math of antibody level
      yes.... especially the higher risk folk. None boosted intubated at the moment. Two vaccinated >6 months with high risk intubated.

Think flu shot. It doesn't protect entire year. That's the reason for hidose of higher risk folk to avoid a second traditional shot mid season....and that's for seasonal. If flu were endemic, we would be doing q6months shots for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post

Maybe.... probably if you make me bet....just by math of antibody level
        yes.... especially the higher risk folk. None boosted intubated at the moment. Two vaccinated >6 months with high risk intubated.

Think flu shot. It doesn't protect entire year. That's the reason for hidose of higher risk folk to avoid a second traditional shot mid season....and that's for seasonal. If flu were endemic, we would be doing q6months shots for that.
        I like your "Maybe.... probably if you make me bet....just by math of antibody level". The vaccine does not seem effective in preventing infection. At least that seems to be much of the problem. You are going to get it anyway, just not with the same consequences. Pop the pills instead of a 7 month series of vaccines and then pop the pill. I'll use you as my bookie and bet with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Why don’t you just get a PCR test instead of holing your daughter up with mild non-specific URI symptoms? Or how come you don’t go somewhere else and let your daughter have a run of the house if you’re worried about it?
          PCR test is scheduled first available, which is 5 days out from when sx started; results 48+ hours puts us at 1 week from symptoms onset, completely useless.

If you don't have a teenage daughter you probably don't understand why everyone is happier with this arrangement.

Comment

• Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

PCR test is scheduled first available, which is 5 days out from when sx started; results 48+ hours puts us at 1 week from symptoms onset, completely useless.
            home
            If you don't have a teenage daughter you probably don't understand why everyone is happier with this arrangement.
            I think you have documented what the testing plan is too little and too late. But rest assured, the home mail out program will be too little too late as well.
            The money for testing supplies was diverted to other purposes. Just saying, this is a circus. You can't make this stuff up.

My condolences to every family that comes down with Omicron. I sincerely hope it turns out to be like a bad cold.

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post

Get boosted, that's for sure.
              Who? I already had my booster less than 2 months ago. Daughters just barely eligible and son not eligible. Wife was only one “overdue”, but got really sick after second dose and wasn’t excited about losing another 1.5-2 days. Also, she’s been exposed now anyway, so what good does a booster do in this circumstance. Not sure what your advice meant is all. Unless it was just a general announcement to everyone to get boosted.

Comment

Serious question:

Agree with above that probably decreases infection, but I think there is strong evidence the booster decreases severity, especially in high risk. Data from Alberta shows hospitalization rate higher in unvaccinated 12-29 yo than 80+ 3-dose vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/14...065661440?s=21

Comment

• Yes, the general advice is to get boosted. It definitely helps in hospitalizations over the two shot regimen.

Hindsight for this all is the proper initial inoculation is a three shot regimen to get to sufficient levels. ....think hep b.
                  ​​​​​​
                  ​​​​​​The question that remains is whether a fourth shot/routine revised innoculations will be needed. The jury is still out on that. We simply don't know cause we're literally right in the middle of possible fourth shot benefits (Israel leading this at scale).

Tim. Definitely there is a lot of documentation to show the risk of hospitalizations and death for immunized is x14 + lower than unvaccinated.

The primary end points for all immunization are always death and hospitalizations with secondary as infections. People forget that original goals for the vaccine was an efficacy rate of 70% rate and we're very spoiled with the level of success against the initial virus.

Comment

• Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                    Yes, the general advice is to get boosted. It definitely helps in hospitalizations over the two shot regimen.

Hindsight for this all is the proper initial inoculation is a three shot regimen to get to sufficient levels. ....think hep b.
                    ​​​​​​
                    ​​​​​​The question that remains is whether a fourth shot/routine revised innoculations will be needed. The jury is still out on that. We simply don't know cause we're literally right in the middle of possible fourth shot benefits (Israel leading this at scale).

Tim. Definitely there is a lot of documentation to show the risk of hospitalizations and death for immunized is x14 + lower than unvaccinated.

The primary end points for all immunization are always death and hospitalizations with secondary as infections. People forget that original goals for the vaccine was an efficacy rate of 70% rate and we're very spoiled with the level of success against the initial virus.
                    100% agree. The point is the vaccines were developed in 25% of the time. Very effective, with known qualifications, variants. Huge success. Prevention.
                    Some very good therapeutics.
                    It is almost like CDC or whomever followed "good is the enemy of better". Wrong choice. Only 2 laps of the mile race. Lack of attention to the development process from variant to delivery of vaccines and therapeutics. The race was not over. Over confidence and under delivery of version 2.5 and a lightning fast solution from point of identification to the population. A vaccine is not to be confused with a therapeutic.
                    The impression is the Warp Speed has gone back to the old 4 year methods. Bureaucracy at it's finest.
                    Over simplification, yes. No attention paid, money diverted without a whimper. Sometimes impatience is a virtue. Non existent. Better is the enemy of better.
                    Not with this threat to all the world. Remember when glass shortage was going to be a choke point? Let the young guns have a chance. It couldn't be more inept. The leadership is a problem. Messaging should not be the focal point, results count.

Comment

• Serious question…is this the wave that kills this thing? I’m to the point that all my staff are vaxxed or got immunity the hard way, with the final two un vaxxed currently positive (and symptomatic).

Is there a chance that by March we can say the population is fully exposed and life resumes something close to normal? Do masks go away soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by Molar Mechanic View Post
                        Is there a chance that by March we can say the population is fully exposed and life resumes something close to normal? Do masks go away soon?
                        Probably in some places. Probably not in others.

Comment

• MM - that's a definite maybe. Hopefully continues a largely URI and becomes #5 circulating human coronavirus.

Comment

Serious question:

My observations from booster status is that young people who already have a good immune system, if boosted, have decreased risk of catching Omicron.

For the middle aged and older, the booster lessens the severity of the symptoms to mild sniffles/ cold/ bodyache but prevents admits. ICU and deaths. I have a higher than average risk of severe illness due to my asthma. I have gotten a full dose 3rd vaccine when they were available and plan to get a 4th dose if I see some resurgence in March/April. I have had no side effects from the vaccine, so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Molar Mechanic View Post
                              Serious question…is this the wave that kills this thing? I’m to the point that all my staff are vaxxed or got immunity the hard way, with the final two un vaxxed currently positive (and symptomatic).

I don't know about "by March", but that's the hope for Omicron, and it's a realistic possibility.

Comment

Serious question:

Yes to both. There is credible evidence to suggest that both of those things are true. Should take you 30 min at most on Google to find.

Comment

Working...
                                X