No announcement yet.

Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am also concerned about the policalization of health care. I have almost totally stopped watching news on TV. I read the WSJ. I used to really like to follow politics. Now I cannot stand it. I read the actual data on COVID and form my own opinions.

Comment

• Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
      The situation in our country concerns me. We are all at each other’s throats. We are fighting about everything. What to do with vaccinations, what to do with masks? What to do with quarantines? What to do with school opening? What medicine to give when people get Covid? Who gets scarce monoclonals? Who is stomping on whose rights?

And the media gets everyone all riled up to fight for one opinion over another. Where does all this anger, frustration, and battling with one other lead us? In the lunch room at the hospital, the docs are getting so upset with one another over the politics. It is the same here on this forum. It is the same in Congress. Yes, I am concerned for our future.
      Amen. I'm tired of the hate-thy-neighbor values being pushed by our balkanized corporate media ecosystems. Everything (even Covid) seems to be weaponized for this purpose, and unfortunately, it is having the intended effect of getting us to hate each other. This sort of tribalism is a horrible thing for our country. But in the short term, it's a great business model!

Comment

• Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

So you’re in the doghouse for something that has nothing to do with you? Are we married to the same woman?
        Ha! Spit coffee out but going back to Burritos post how stressful must it be if a physician is not up for discussing their day with their spouse who is also a physician? These are difficult times.

Comment

• Originally posted by White.Beard.Doc View Post
          The situation in our country concerns me. We are all at each other’s throats. We are fighting about everything. What to do with vaccinations, what to do with masks? What to do with quarantines? What to do with school opening? What medicine to give when people get Covid? Who gets scarce monoclonals? Who is stomping on whose rights?

And the media gets everyone all riled up to fight for one opinion over another. Where does all this anger, frustration, and battling with one other lead us? In the lunch room at the hospital, the docs are getting so upset with one another over the politics. It is the same here on this forum. It is the same in Congress. Yes, I am concerned for our future.
          This. I think most expectations are pretty simple. Try your best and be honest. It is what it is. This pandemic is sooooo serious. Cross contamination of so many other issues makes it impossible to isolate Culturally, so many issues have always existed. Let's not pretend. The solutions have always been "the use of force", power.
          Our country and the world is not "immune". The disputes have come down to the "winner takes all". The terms "shotgun wedding" was not a figment of imagination. The use of "duals" (gun fights) was real. "Swift justice" for cattle thieves.
          There ought to be a law! Yes, just change the law and that makes it right? Power struggles will always happen. Choose your weapon, pistols or swords? In some ways "civilized peaceful society" has never existed. Power wins always. The struggle continues and the consequences follow: intended and unintended.

Comment

• Re: political side- hate the polarization. Sadly anchorman the movie was correct- once the news became about ratings (Im sure it always was though) based on opinions and not just on who got the first scoop, our society's decline accelerated. Add in facebook online echo chambers, mix some political forces moving further from central, etc.

On the covid front- my dad caught covid in a rehab facility and just passed away this morning. He was boosted last month after breaking his hip. But.. the dementia, and poor appetite plus limited mobility due to the hip probably did him in w covid being the icing on top. The nurses told my sister he was oxygenating and urinating fine until yesterday, but who knows what "fine" meant to them. So PE from covid or from lack of mobility? General death from malnurishment? Heart attack? Aspiration? Who knows. Nursing staff there was reportedly more in the chin diaper than proper masking camp, but again, dunno nor do I care if covid was the lethal blow or just the icing on death's cake. I did wish that all proper precautions were taken though to minimize the risk even if it doesnt eliminate the risk of COVID, which I cant say happened in my dad's case.

Comment

• Originally posted by billy View Post
              Re: political side- hate the polarization. Sadly anchorman the movie was correct- once the news became about ratings (Im sure it always was though) based on opinions and not just on who got the first scoop, our society's decline accelerated. Add in facebook online echo chambers, mix some political forces moving further from central, etc.

On the covid front- my dad caught covid in a rehab facility and just passed away this morning. He was boosted last month after breaking his hip. But.. the dementia, and poor appetite plus limited mobility due to the hip probably did him in w covid being the icing on top. The nurses told my sister he was oxygenating and urinating fine until yesterday, but who knows what "fine" meant to them. So PE from covid or from lack of mobility? General death from malnurishment? Heart attack? Aspiration? Who knows. Nursing staff there was reportedly more in the chin diaper than proper masking camp, but again, dunno nor do I care if covid was the lethal blow or just the icing on death's cake. I did wish that all proper precautions were taken though to minimize the risk even if it doesnt eliminate the risk of COVID, which I cant say happened in my dad's case.
              Sorry for your second loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatton View Post

Sorry for your second loss.
                thank you. double whammy/biggest fear/etc but life (and death) happens.

Comment

• billy - my prayers to you and the family. Hard closing these chapters in our lives especially in the setting of a pandemic.

Comment

• billy sorry to hear the news. You have gone through a lot lately. My thoughts and prayers with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

So you’re in the doghouse for something that has nothing to do with you? Are we married to the same woman?
                      That's funny. Funny how we can finish Med School, residency an be morons at the same time.

Comment

• billy Thinking about you in this tough time. I’m sure you’ve got a lot of positive memories to cherish. There will be brighter days ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post
                          billy sorry to hear the news. You have gone through a lot lately. My thoughts and prayers with you.
                          Yes, sorry man. awful. really bad. sorry.

Comment

• billy .
                            So sorry for your loss.
                            "after breaking his hip." Full stop. You obviously know the 50/50 statistics.
                            The way it was explained to us is the facts and circumstances matter but do not change the odds. Almost every choice has side effects. Improve one condition or situation will have side effects or increases something else. There are no right choices. Nothing is perfect, even if you try to do everything yourself.
                            Your Dad appreciated everything you and your sister and actually the home did. Best effort, no regrets. We worry about the flu. Hit one year. Luck, not skill.

Comment

• Originally posted by PedsCCM View Post
                              Well, we're getting killed. Midwest state with overlapping delta and now omicron over the last 4-8 weeks. Delta has crushed us with really sick patients and omicron has wiped out a big chunk of our staff.
                              It's the same here in Omaha. Cases are going through the roof, the health department has reimposed an indoor mask mandate, and the University of Nebraska Medical Center formally went into crisis care mode today (so basically anything even remotely elective, even outpatient clinic visits for issues other than primary care, are being shut down). I think the other two big hospital systems in town will soon be following UNMC's lead. Fun times ahead!

Comment

• Originally posted by billy View Post
                                So sorry to hear this news. Condolences to you and your family.

Comment

Working...
                                X