No announcement yet.

Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just came across this very educational blog post on the ins and outs of coronavirus mutation and how the vaccine companies are trying to use the knowledge of how the various mutations work to adapt our current vaccines: https://www.science.org/content/blog...iant-landscape I think some of you will find it interesting.
    Last edited by artemis; 09-02-2021, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by artemis View Post
      Just came across this very educational blog post on the ins and outs of coronavirus mutation and how the vaccine companies are trying to use the knowledge of how the various mutations work to adapt our current vaccines: https://www.science.org/content/blog...riant-landscap I think some of you will find it interesting.
      You dropped the last letter of your link. It should be:

https://www.science.org/content/blog...iant-landscape

Comment

• Originally posted by Hober Mallow View Post

You dropped the last letter of your link. It should be:

https://www.science.org/content/blog...iant-landscape
        Thanks for catching that! I've corrected the link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatton View Post
          Hey has anyone seen a breakthrough COVID in an immunocompromised patient who has gotten a booster. Asking for my brother who is 78 and has non-alchoholic cirrhosis. His wife and son apparently have Covid (mild cold symptoms). His son has tested positive. Everyone is vaccinated and my brother had a booster 2 weeks ago.
          not booster but recently vaxed yes. Get the antibody therapy for him

Comment

• Originally posted by Ekanive23 View Post

not booster but recently vaxed yes. Get the antibody therapy for him
            Same with my wife back in march, 3 weeks after 2nd dose.
            Agree with the monoclonals for him if he caught it, but just an FYI- my wife's liver enzymes skyrocketed after the monoclonal and she had ascites around the same time. Correlation does not equal causation, but now the ascites hasnt come back and her LFTs are fine while the cancer did not improve so I am leaning toward more causation. Her hepatologist did mention some liver transplant pts had elevated LFTs with COVID infection, so unsure if it was the infection or the monoclonals. I only mentioned this because of Hattons relative's cirrhosis history.

Comment

• Originally posted by AR View Post

There definitely are.

In fact there have been a couple of lawsuits I have heard of that go like this

1. Unvaccinated person contracts COVID and ends up in ICU
              2. Family asks for ivermectin and is denied
              3. Family then finds quack outside hospital (i.e., no privileges at hospital) who prescribes it for COVID and tells them about patient.
              4. Quack says the docs really should order ivermectin for the patient. He can't do it since he doesn't have privileges at hospital.
              5. Using expert testimony from quack, family sues hospital to make them give ivermectin
              6. Judge rules that hospital must give patient ivermectin
              My husband was just reading a news story with this exact thing in S. Dakota where the hospital was forced to credential the quack rxing the ivermectin! I legit thought he was lying to me. This is insane.

Comment

• Originally posted by wideopenspaces View Post

My husband was just reading a news story with this exact thing in S. Dakota where the hospital was forced to credential the quack rxing the ivermectin! I legit thought he was lying to me. This is insane.
                Well, I no longer sit on C&P, but I guarantee you that I would not be strong-armed to credential a quack and I guarantee you that a judge will not strong-arm me to practice poor medicine. If this is non-fiction, it is yet another demonstration of the complete castration of the medical staff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                  But seriously, are there any quack doctors actually prescribing ivermectin? It’s bad enough dealing with narcotics, I hope I don’t have to decide whether or not to continue that for hospitalized inpatients just because their PCP is spineless.
                  I had a nurse practitioner patient mychart me asking about treatments for her mom since her cardiologists didn’t know what to do, what you you think of this, a bunch of my classmates prescribe this in Georgia. Ivermectin. If not feeling better add fluvoxamine. And a bunch of do nothing supplements.

I asked if her doctors had referred her mom for monoclonal antibodies. I mean, COME ON PEOPLE.

I had a other non vaccinated guy ask about walk in MAB since he had an exposure. Nope. Ivermectin. Nope.

Comment

• Would you hold your child out of school if masking was optional?

Comment

• Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

You accomplish not giving the patient a drug for which there has been no known benefit shown for that particular disease. Seems like a decent accomplishment.
                      That is often the least of these people’s problems. Engaging in pointless power struggles that are secondary to the overall purpose of hospitalization is anything but a decent accomplishment, especially if it impedes discharge. These people have a quack waiting for them once they get out, and you have to pick your battles.

Comment

• Originally posted by G View Post

Well, I no longer sit on C&P, but I guarantee you that I would not be strong-armed to credential a quack and I guarantee you that a judge will not strong-arm me to practice poor medicine. If this is non-fiction, it is yet another demonstration of the complete castration of the medical staff.
                        Yeah I would 1000% quit medicine before letting a judge tell me what to prescribe. You can go to medical school if you want to practice medicine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                          That is often the least of these people’s problems. Engaging in pointless power struggles that are secondary to the overall purpose of hospitalization is anything but a decent accomplishment, especially if it impedes discharge. These people have a quack waiting for them once they get out, and you have to pick your battles.
                          It's not a power struggle or a drawn out process unless you let it be. You simply tell them "no". You don't stay in the room and try to convince them to see your side of it. That would be as pointless as trying to explain to drug seekers why you aren't giving them narcs. If the hospital wants to credential the quack then that's on them. Why would this impede discharge? If anything they'll want to leave AMA. The medical staff will back you if it becomes a huge deal. If administration comes calling then stand your ground. Doctors, as a whole, are wimps. There's no better time to show some backbone than now. Maybe if we start showing some backbone the nurses and administrators will actually start respecting us.

Comment

• Originally posted by shombra View Post
                            Would you hold your child out of school if masking was optional?
                            If vaccinated and wearing a good mask, I would send them. We were planning to do this with our 13 yo but thankfully our mayor put a mask mandate in place so we didn't have to. For my 4yo we would have waited on preschool until he was vaccinated but thankfully they are masking there too. If he was in elementary school and no masks, I would have had a serious conversation with my husband about private schools that are masking. I am very uninterested in sending unvaccinated kids to school without masks right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatton View Post
                              Hey has anyone seen a breakthrough COVID in an immunocompromised patient who has gotten a booster. Asking for my brother who is 78 and has non-alchoholic cirrhosis. His wife and son apparently have Covid (mild cold symptoms). His son has tested positive. Everyone is vaccinated and my brother had a booster 2 weeks ago.
                              Sorry to hear it hit bro's household. We only just started boosters recently so minimal data on this. I can ask around. How long ago were his initial doses?

Since not COVID+ himself; no monoclonal; but get early (<72 hours) if onset symptoms.

Comment

• Here's an interesting graph. I suppose in absolute terms, the difference is not that big, but it does make for a striking visual (assuming they're not playing fast and loose with the data).

Last edited by AR; 09-03-2021, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X