Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Brains428 View Post

    The early retirement I believe is for real. The other 3 I've heard of through the grape vine have until the end of next month to comply. There is one other large health system in town that hasn't required vaccine, but it's likely they will require it once EUA is lifted and it's fully FDA mandated. Also, it's likely they all have a pesky non-compete to deal with.

    Another physician I know personally, is hoping to get some exception based on natural immunity. I don't expect it to work. I would be very surprised if that person decided to quit, but who knows.

    It will be very interesting with health systems regarding vaccine mandates when a high powered surgeon/money maker doesn't want to get vaccinated. A health system won't give a hoot about an easily replaceable specialty, but what about if 1 of 3 cardiothoracic surgeons is pushing back? Easy to say good riddance in theory, but they will be sweating for certain.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Sampter View Post


      It will be very interesting with health systems regarding vaccine mandates when a high powered surgeon/money maker doesn't want to get vaccinated. A health system won't give a hoot about an easily replaceable specialty, but what about if 1 of 3 cardiothoracic surgeons is pushing back? Easy to say good riddance in theory, but they will be sweating for certain.

      I don't understand why patients aren't demanding vaccinated caregivers. That would change this, pronto.
      Honestly, I think it's mostly nurses they are concerned about.
      If 1 in 3 Ct surgeons is pushing back, we have a huge problem that extends far beyond vaccination.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Sampter View Post


        It will be very interesting with health systems regarding vaccine mandates when a high powered surgeon/money maker doesn't want to get vaccinated. A health system won't give a hoot about an easily replaceable specialty, but what about if 1 of 3 cardiothoracic surgeons is pushing back? Easy to say good riddance in theory, but they will be sweating for certain.
        The part of me that loves to see admin sweat would root hard for something like this, but I don’t see how they can bend the rules on this sort of policy without risking severe liability and front page news. Certainly this should be part of the calculus before instituting mandates. There’s not really a gray area with vaccination.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post


          I don't understand why patients aren't demanding vaccinated caregivers. That would change this, pronto.
          Honestly, I think it's mostly nurses they are concerned about.
          If 1 in 3 Ct surgeons is pushing back, we have a huge problem that extends far beyond vaccination.

          I agree with you, but there are more unvaccinated physicians out there then we all like to believe. In our system our physician vaccine rate is ~ 90% which is good, but still leaves a fair number not.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Lithium View Post

            The part of me that loves to see admin sweat would root hard for something like this, but I don’t see how they can bend the rules on this sort of policy without risking severe liability and front page news. There’s not really a gray area with vaccination.

            These may go right to the top with CEO and the physician meeting face to face.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Sampter View Post


              These may go right to the top with CEO and the physician meeting face to face.
              Yeah, perhaps. If a CT surgeon got a $100k bonus to get the vaccine, well, God bless him.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sampter View Post


                It will be very interesting with health systems regarding vaccine mandates when a high powered surgeon/money maker doesn't want to get vaccinated. A health system won't give a hoot about an easily replaceable specialty, but what about if 1 of 3 cardiothoracic surgeons is pushing back? Easy to say good riddance in theory, but they will be sweating for certain.
                The easiest way is what I think one poster here said a while back that they were doing in their area. Have all the hospital systems in a certain area mandate the vaccine together. If you aren't vaccinated then you won't have a job in that area. I think we all know putting that kind of personal finance pressure on most physicians will typically work since a majority aren't in a place to just walk away. That said, I'm not necessarily saying I 100% support vaccine mandates.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

                  The easiest way is what I think one poster here said a while back that they were doing in their area. Have all the hospital systems in a certain area mandate the vaccine together. If you aren't vaccinated then you won't have a job in that area. I think we all know putting that kind of personal finance pressure on most physicians will typically work since a majority aren't in a place to just walk away. That said, I'm not necessarily saying I 100% support vaccine mandates.

                  I suspect once fully FDA approved most health systems will mandate it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Lithium View Post
                    It took me 30 seconds to find this: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm

                    I don’t want to get into the politics too much as I’m not on Team Fauci either. I didn’t get the sense that Fauci really refuted him, but RP’s attacks just seemed like political grandstanding.
                    "May and June were selected because of vaccine supply and eligibility requirement considerations; this period was more likely to reflect resident choice to be vaccinated, rather than eligibility to receive vaccine."
                    They also "tried to correct for supply and eligibility requirement." "antigen test result during May 1–June 30, 2021"
                    A ton of eligibility and availability leads to the question of Kentucky's eligibility and availability. I am not a stat guy, maybe you are. The population data set and the results are different populations with access to vaccine and not the same different places. Have you noted CDC publishing any negative studies? Maybe they do but ..... well, one state study has some questions is my only point. I am not disputing the results, adjustments or their conclusions. But I think there is more work to be done.
                    Again, personally I disagree that a vaccine would not enhance protection. I don't get a lot of comfort and have not idea the characteristics of the living conditions (primarily population density) or the health status of the data set. Not for me to be the judge. It is a good first attempt but I would not base a "restrictive national guidelines" (such as taking away ones living or access to public venues) on this only. The total population of the top two cities in Kentucky don't reach 1m. The next 2 are under 100k. I call this a "rural sample", not a basis for the country. Maybe that is why Rand Paul is so confident. He does not live in a congested area.
                    Thanks for the report. I wish CDC was coordinating a state by state data collection and producing the results. Tons should be available, but is not. That would be a good question for Fauci and CDC. Pose it as a constructive suggestion not a political motivation.

                    Comment


                    • my brother (surgeon) tested positive yesterday. He was vaccinated and was wearing N95 masks. Just unlucky i guess. He is in Alabama and they have a lot of patients in his hospital. He is in shape, runs 4-7 miles a day and is thin. He is annoyed and grouchy but seems to be ok. I bought a pulse ox for him. Anyway, like lordosis he was vaccinated so be careful out there. Fortunately the vaccinated seem to be doing ok, but he is certainly more sick than i expected (coughing, flu-like stuff).
                      Really glad he and the rest of my tribe are vaccinated, but i was hoping for really mild cold and his deal is more like bad flu.
                      Anyway, don’t let your guard down too much. Especially if you are an old critter with comorbidities.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Tangler View Post
                        my brother (surgeon) tested positive yesterday. He was vaccinated and was wearing N95 masks. Just unlucky i guess. He is in Alabama and they have a lot of patients in his hospital. He is in shape, runs 4-7 miles a day and is thin. He is annoyed and grouchy but seems to be ok. I bought a pulse ox for him. Anyway, like lordosis he was vaccinated so be careful out there. Fortunately the vaccinated seem to be doing ok, but he is certainly more sick than i expected (coughing, flu-like stuff).
                        Really glad he and the rest of my tribe are vaccinated, but i was hoping for really mild cold and his deal is more like bad flu.
                        Anyway, don’t let your guard down too much. Especially if you are an old critter with comorbidities.
                        Wishing him well.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sampter View Post


                          I suspect once fully FDA approved most health systems will mandate it.
                          Ours has said they have no plans to.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Sampter View Post


                            I agree with you, but there are more unvaccinated physicians out there then we all like to believe. In our system our physician vaccine rate is ~ 90% which is good, but still leaves a fair number not.
                            Yikes. And the other 10%...need to go work at Homeopathic General.
                            What part of the country are you in?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by snowcanyon View Post

                              Yikes. And the other 10%...need to go work at Homeopathic General.
                              What part of the country are you in?

                              Where Covid has been running hot.

                              I suspect that percentage would be pretty close for physicians in most hospital systems, more or less depending on what part of the country you are in.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sampter View Post


                                Where Covid has been running hot.

                                I suspect that percentage would be pretty close for physicians in most hospital systems, more or less depending on what part of the country you are in.
                                I'm guessing it's a lot lower at Mass General, UCSF, and other academic medical centers in blue states.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X