Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Local endocrinologist seeing “several” post covid vacc cases of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Not sure if all manufacturers. Anyone seeing this?

    how about the post covid vacc myocarditis?

    Comment


    • https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...vid-19-vaccine

      Pfizer can be stored at regular refrigerator temps for up to a month.

      Vaccine shipments in dozens, rather than 1000.

      This seems to open a much wider distribution capabilities.

      Couple of questions:
      •Vaccines 2-12: Risk/benefit. One thought is waiting for more results of long term side effects as opposed to pushing vaccine in a low risk category.
      •Required vaccination (employer or access) ethical - Evidently the Medical (CDC and FDA) have only about 50-60% vaccinated rate. EUA only makes this problematic for any requirement or restrictions.
      •Herd immunity- immunity comes from infection as well as vaccinations. Does it make sense to ignore what was the most highly publicized statistic, infections in making policy decisions?
      Are we really approaching herd immunity given the targeting of the vulnerable and age groups?

      • I feel like CDC/FDA can be relied on for tested results, but not predictions or recommendations. Too much noise.
      •The ability of the science to truly document and understand, thus prevent future outbreaks depends on politics, not science. Too much CYA as well.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Kamban View Post
        So, what is the CDC recommendation on masks in physician's offices for vaccinated patients and staff.

        Do all have to wear mask in order to protect the un-vaccinated patients for the slim chance of transmitting COVID or can they be maskless. I am not quite clear on this.
        Or we can just offer millions of dollars worth of incentives like lotteries to encourage the un-vaccinated to get with the global program. Wait that is already happening. The past year + has literally felt like I'm on an episode of The Twilight Zone.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

          Or we can just offer millions of dollars worth of incentives like lotteries to encourage the un-vaccinated to get with the global program. Wait that is already happening. The past year + has literally felt like I'm on an episode of The Twilight Zone.
          A few zeros missing. Trillions!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

            Or we can just offer millions of dollars worth of incentives like lotteries to encourage the un-vaccinated to get with the global program. Wait that is already happening. The past year + has literally felt like I'm on an episode of The Twilight Zone.
            i'm very much in the "don't criticize the lottery" camp.

            i agree we are reaching people who might be somewhat irrational, but this is a public health thing not a judgement thing

            Comment


            • Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

              Or we can just offer millions of dollars worth of incentives like lotteries to encourage the un-vaccinated to get with the global program. Wait that is already happening. The past year + has literally felt like I'm on an episode of The Twilight Zone.
              We spend a whole lot more money on stupider things...

              Comment


              • Originally posted by MPMD View Post

                i'm very much in the "don't criticize the lottery" camp.

                i agree we are reaching people who might be somewhat irrational, but this is a public health thing not a judgement thing
                Sigh, I guess I was misguided to hope the majority of citizens would at least get us to the point where it is no longer a public health crisis.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

                  Sigh, I guess I was misguided to hope the majority of citizens would at least get us to the point where it is no longer a public health crisis.
                  Is it still considered a crisis at this point? If so, what makes it a crisis? I'm sure our definitions of crisis will probably be different.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

                    Is it still considered a crisis at this point? If so, what makes it a crisis? I'm sure our definitions of crisis will probably be different.
                    Personally I didn't think it still was from a standpoint of overwhelming hospitals and resources but read MPMD's post to indicate it might be? I also didn't mean to pass judgement on whether people get vaccinated and while I agree we spend money on many stupid things this is definitely one we could do without, at this point in the roll out, in my opinion.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by StateOfMyHead View Post

                      Personally I didn't think it still was from a standpoint of overwhelming hospitals and resources but read MPMD's post to indicate it might be? I also didn't mean to pass judgement on whether people get vaccinated and while I agree we spend money on many stupid things this is definitely one we could do without, at this point in the roll out, in my opinion.
                      And some say a "public health issue" is the only priority. Lockdowns, close schools, live in isolation for as long as it takes to "lower the curve". There is actually a cost/benefit decision that needs to be made. MPMD is very capable of doing that. Just because we choose to use a "shotgun of money" approach rather than targeting does not make it wise. Incentives are fine. Effective messaging with incentives might have produced a better yield. If one looks at the demographics, the only way to reach the 80% is to vaccinate those under 17. Considering the statistics, "we used a shotgun". Makes as much sense to enter the 1A healthcare workers that were given priority. Hope one of them win, changed their mind and got vaccinated.

                      Comment


                      • Anyones hospitals discussing booster shots, or checking quantitative antibodies a few months post vaccination? I'm assuming some of us here are entering month 6+ post vaccine, wondering how long we should expect immunity to last on average. Hatton- any news/update from the trial?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by billy View Post
                          Anyones hospitals discussing booster shots, or checking quantitative antibodies a few months post vaccination? I'm assuming some of us here are entering month 6+ post vaccine, wondering how long we should expect immunity to last on average. Hatton- any news/update from the trial?
                          I have an appointment in August for follow up blood testing. That will be one year that I have been vaccinated. I am assuming this is how the need for a booster is being determined. I had blood drawn about 3 months ago as well.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Dontgetthejab View Post
                            Local endocrinologist seeing “several” post covid vacc cases of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Not sure if all manufacturers. Anyone seeing this?

                            how about the post covid vacc myocarditis?
                            I visited my primary care doc last week, who is an ID specialist. He told me that he has a young patient in the ICU with a balloon pump from myocarditis, a few weeks after the vaccine. Purely anecdotal, of course, but he is concerned that it is from the vaccine.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by VagabondMD View Post

                              I visited my primary care doc last week, who is an ID specialist. He told me that he has a young patient in the ICU with a balloon pump from myocarditis, a few weeks after the vaccine. Purely anecdotal, of course, but he is concerned that it is from the vaccine.
                              Did he happen to say which vaccine?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

                                Did he happen to say which vaccine?
                                He did not.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X