Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
    It is going to take time to tell how long immunity lasts for. However Have we had any evidence of re infection yet? It would only take a few well documented cases of reinfection to really change this whole game. But not seeing it does not prove anything.
    This lady has had a more severe second course:

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Bdoc View Post
      we have had 1 or 2 true cases of reinfection.1 was a nurse. Had the disease in May, PCR+ and eventually IGG positive. Then retested and PCR negative. Comes back with fevers and desats during this 2nd spike and now PCR positive again. With that said, the symptoms are MUCH better than previous. So it can happen but the symptoms are are not as bad.
      Spreading it will be the concern. I would imagine the symptoms would be better but if they can still transmit it then that will suck for the herd immunity idea.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by billy View Post

        I believe there have been 3-4 cases of reinfection in the news. One believed to be a different strand. Considering its a small number compared to so many cases of COVID, not sure how significant it is.

        https://www.ajmc.com/view/first-case...cted-in-the-us
        We also had a 2 of cases of reinfection during the second wave. Again, the 2nd infection was milder than the 1st.

        this headline caught my attention.... though the article is not so brilliant...
        Fauci: Early COVID-19 vaccines will only prevent symptoms, not block the virus
        https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fauci...195051568.html

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Jaqen Haghar MD View Post

          We also had a 2 of cases of reinfection during the second wave. Again, the 2nd infection was milder than the 1st.

          this headline caught my attention.... though the article is not so brilliant...
          Fauci: Early COVID-19 vaccines will only prevent symptoms, not block the virus
          https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fauci...195051568.html
          And Bill Gates pontificated that Fall 2021 won't be completely back to normal.
          Despite efforts to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus, the world still won’t be back to normal even a year from now, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates predicts in a new interview.


          Anthony and William: Make yourselves useful and go supply the world with effective masks. Public relations is all you are accomplishing.

          Comment


          • Yes the annoying truth is about a lot of these questions is that they are literally unknowable until more than one of these time periods passes, reinfection, length and strength of immunity, etc...will literally be years.

            We can guesstimate but quality data cannot be had until a lot of time unfortunately passes. The amount of reinfection cases still seem edge compared to the amount of raw cases, so hoping that is the norm.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Hatton View Post
              I just ordered a vogmask. It is a N95 with a valve. Multiple sizes. I have been nursing a single N95 since the start of the pandemic. I use a simple cloth mask with some type of filter most times. I realize it is not effective. Since winter is coming I decided to invest $33.
              I just ordered 2 N95's from Vogmask . Well, not officially N95’s because the masks aren’t certified.
              Right now the goal is not to become a carrier and infect a 93 year old MIL. I will get MIL one if we reach a point where isolation becomes impossible.
              This to me is an immediately available solution to stopping transmission and protecting vulnerable populations. Small price at $33 per head.
              Just convinced myself to buy 2 more. One for BIL and her. She will spend a few weekends isolating in her house.
              Thanks to all, especially Hatton. Actionable advice.
              You should run CDC as a side gig.

              Comment


              • You can do your own 'fit test'. Spray a lemon/citrus/glycerin spray while o the mask and breathe and talk with it. See if you can taste or smell it.

                We use both the vogmask and cambridge masks. vogmask doesn't last as long, but more stylish for the ladies. The cambridge mask is more comfortable with the wider ear loops and included neck/head strap that one has to buy separately on the vogmask. Both are valved so easy to breathe out. Kids use the nonvalved ones at school since they require novalved masks. It's tolerable while sitting still; but it's definitely not a fun mask to wear with exertion without the valve.

                Tip: The area with highest leakage tends to be at the nose. Pinch that down and works quite well.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bdoc View Post
                  we have had 1 or 2 true cases of reinfection.1 was a nurse. Had the disease in May, PCR+ and eventually IGG positive. Then retested and PCR negative. Comes back with fevers and desats during this 2nd spike and now PCR positive again. With that said, the symptoms are MUCH better than previous. So it can happen but the symptoms are are not as bad.
                  Has anyone published the level of sensitivity for the RT-PCR to see to what log level does it detect the viral nuclear antigen. Are the positive PCR that became negative PCR and again became positive truly a reinfection or the suppression of the virus below the detection limits of the PCR and is now a relapse rather than reinfection.

                  Is the IgM and IgG antibody post infection going to provide any useful immunity or just be there and coexist with the virus and relapse when something in the patient's immune system provokes that relapse. Or it protects against one strain of the corona virus but not against a slightly different strain. I am a bit doubtful how a vaccine will provide immunity against all strains for a decent interval, like a year, given that we don't know much about the immunity from the infection.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Kamban View Post

                    Has anyone published the level of sensitivity for the RT-PCR to see to what log level does it detect the viral nuclear antigen. Are the positive PCR that became negative PCR and again became positive truly a reinfection or the suppression of the virus below the detection limits of the PCR and is now a relapse rather than reinfection.

                    Is the IgM and IgG antibody post infection going to provide any useful immunity or just be there and coexist with the virus and relapse when something in the patient's immune system provokes that relapse. Or it protects against one strain of the corona virus but not against a slightly different strain. I am a bit doubtful how a vaccine will provide immunity against all strains for a decent interval, like a year, given that we don't know much about the immunity from the infection.
                    I assume it might require a yearly booster. I say this with no data to back up this assumption. It just seems logical.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                      You can do your own 'fit test'. Spray a lemon/citrus/glycerin spray while o the mask and breathe and talk with it. See if you can taste or smell it.

                      We use both the vogmask and cambridge masks. vogmask doesn't last as long, but more stylish for the ladies. The cambridge mask is more comfortable with the wider ear loops and included neck/head strap that one has to buy separately on the vogmask. Both are valved so easy to breathe out. Kids use the nonvalved ones at school since they require novalved masks. It's tolerable while sitting still; but it's definitely not a fun mask to wear with exertion without the valve.

                      Tip: The area with highest leakage tends to be at the nose. Pinch that down and works quite well.
                      Can you get Fauci to read your short message on his next TV appearance? How about the “experts” and media?
                      Sarcastic but out of frustration. Found “good masks” on WCI Forum. Thank you.

                      Comment


                      • Fauci knows his stuff. He's one the lead authors to general medicine encylopedia (Harrison's). He sure could suggest the 'fit test' or the laser mask fit experiment. He has his hands full in just getting to step 1 of any kind of covering to help mitigate. Gotta walk before jog.

                        He can't be vouching for specific companies as ethically is a considerable violation in the public space. Unfortunately not all public officials adhere to such regulations.

                        Comment


                        • Well if lightbulbs can be regulated, so can masks.
                          Invisible masks are just so comfortable. Fauci and billions of dollars have been devoted to best practices and evidenced based studies.
                          What is so difficult about “Best Mask”? Not once have the “experts” mentioned better masks.
                          All or none. Not about the companies. Zero consideration for individuals. Too busy with the big picture stuff.
                          Not directed at Fauci as an individual, Monday morning quarterbacking. Improvements in masks would work exponentially. Just like a two way light bulb switch. Simple solutions some times yield huge results, like lowering the curve gets easier. Light bulb thinking. Degrees of separation. Economies of scale. If mask is a solution, seems pretty basic that a low IQ person like me can figure out 300% improvement might worth exploring. I don’t care about the carbon filter or the valve. Gimme the best I can afford. Think of it like life insurance, because it is. Pretty cheap too!
                          Recommended material content? If we can run test in the millions, we can improve masks.
                          Now I need to go figure out this lemon/citrus test.
                          Might blow us up with nitro glycerin. Oops, my bad. Good or better masks should be easy. Low hanging fruit.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            I just ordered 2 N95's from Vogmask . Well, not officially N95’s because the masks aren’t certified.
                            Right now the goal is not to become a carrier and infect a 93 year old MIL. I will get MIL one if we reach a point where isolation becomes impossible.
                            This to me is an immediately available solution to stopping transmission and protecting vulnerable populations. Small price at $33 per head.
                            Just convinced myself to buy 2 more. One for BIL and her. She will spend a few weekends isolating in her house.
                            Thanks to all, especially Hatton. Actionable advice.
                            You should run CDC as a side gig.
                            That Vogmask is a great suggestion. I ordered a couple and suggested them to the rest of my family. Thanks Hatton !

                            Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
                            You can do your own 'fit test'. Spray a lemon/citrus/glycerin spray while o the mask and breathe and talk with it. See if you can taste or smell it.

                            We use both the vogmask and cambridge masks. vogmask doesn't last as long, but more stylish for the ladies. The cambridge mask is more comfortable with the wider ear loops and included neck/head strap that one has to buy separately on the vogmask. Both are valved so easy to breathe out. Kids use the nonvalved ones at school since they require novalved masks. It's tolerable while sitting still; but it's definitely not a fun mask to wear with exertion without the valve.

                            Tip: The area with highest leakage tends to be at the nose. Pinch that down and works quite well.
                            Good tips, but I question using the valved masks. At least in that, as N95 masks are not available to everyone, it seems a big point of encouraging everyone to wear masks is to protect others, and the valved masks do a poor job of protecting others... They appear closer to wearing nothing at all in terms of reducing the spread of the virus from the wearer to others. That being said, I'm sure you take enough precautions to the point of which you are more likely not infectious than others who do not wear masks.


                            To everyone considering the Vogmask, they are very short on supply right now, but are supposed restock by tomorrow, October 29, 2020. Unfortunately for me, I noticed the restocking update after I ordered my size in the only available style: Parrot. My wife made fun of me for it.

                            Interesting to note that one of my best friends has cystic fibrosis and is very in tune with masks, especially because he just had a lung transplant a little over a year ago. I mentioned the Vogmask and he said the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation recommended *against* it. (Go ahead and search for "cystic fibrosis Vogmask"). That being said, I would think that, if you cannot get a certified N95 mask, a Vogmask is close to the next best thing.

                            For more information about mask comparisons, I found this site informative, while also being an easy and entertaining read:

                            https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...navirus/?rel=1

                            Notice the Vogmask, the valved one, on their graph of the Fit Test in terms of % of particles blocked:
                            https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...effectiveness/

                            (While my username label is Attorney, I am half-engineer, and find this stuff fascinating from a tech standpoint).

                            Balance

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Kamban View Post

                              Has anyone published the level of sensitivity for the RT-PCR to see to what log level does it detect the viral nuclear antigen. Are the positive PCR that became negative PCR and again became positive truly a reinfection or the suppression of the virus below the detection limits of the PCR and is now a relapse rather than reinfection.

                              Is the IgM and IgG antibody post infection going to provide any useful immunity or just be there and coexist with the virus and relapse when something in the patient's immune system provokes that relapse. Or it protects against one strain of the corona virus but not against a slightly different strain. I am a bit doubtful how a vaccine will provide immunity against all strains for a decent interval, like a year, given that we don't know much about the immunity from the infection.
                              I don't know but around July NYTIMES published a lengthy article about PCR and threshold levels, there might be some leads there.

                              Comment


                              • Here comes the Corona stock market slide! I can't wait! I want to pick up cheap rentals when it all implodes!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X