Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Hatton
    I think the Chinese data is suspect as well. There is enough blame to go around. This situation shows how difficult it is to know what to do when something totally new and unexpected happens. When this thing is under control somewhat there will be time to figure out the errors and assign blame. Right now all should work together to find some effective treatments and vaccines. My 0.02 cents
    My biggest concern about stuff like this is that we don't learn well from history. This could really be a great case study to further our knowledge about pandemics, etc. but I fear that whenever the next similar situation comes around we'll basically be flying blind. I understand part of that is because the world will likely be different like how things are different now compared to 1918 but, man, humans are a frustrating bunch.

    Comment


    • Chris Christie on precautionary hospital day 6:

      Chris Christie remained in a New Jersey hospital Thursday, five days after tweeting that he had checked himself in as a “precautionary measure” following a COVID-19 diagnosis.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by FIREshrink
        Chris Christie on precautionary hospital day 6:

        https://nypost.com/2020/10/08/chris-...-after-5-days/
        Well, none of the political elites seemed to notice Cain, guess we'll see if they notice Christie.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by CordMcNally

          My biggest concern about stuff like this is that we don't learn well from history. This could really be a great case study to further our knowledge about pandemics, etc. but I fear that whenever the next similar situation comes around we'll basically be flying blind. I understand part of that is because the world will likely be different like how things are different now compared to 1918 but, man, humans are a frustrating bunch.
          “The time to figure out errors and to assign blame” is the problem.
          Blame is always resisted and rewritten and deflected. Not only the humans involved, but any connection or inference decades or even centuries later.
          Don’t blame me, I’m only human! Not my problem.

          Comment


          • Apologies if discussed before...

            If you were recovering from a mild case of covid, how would you go about it? I’m about 5 days s/p diagnosis. I haven’t had a lot of symptoms. I started out with a bit of a cough, but that resolved surprisingly quickly (1 day) and fever (1 day). Since that time I’ve been a bit fatigued and more easily winded, but otherwise fine. I have been hiking a bit in the forest behind my house, but do notice becoming winded much more easily.

            Do you feel that I should be taking it easier or is some exertion beneficial? How quickly can I get back to lifting weight and exercising? Should I push it a little bit or just progress as my body will allow? I know some people report taking quite some time to recover fully.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by cyrano7
              Apologies if discussed before...

              If you were recovering from a mild case of covid, how would you go about it? I’m about 5 days s/p diagnosis. I haven’t had a lot of symptoms. I started out with a bit of a cough, but that resolved surprisingly quickly (1 day) and fever (1 day). Since that time I’ve been a bit fatigued and more easily winded, but otherwise fine. I have been hiking a bit in the forest behind my house, but do notice becoming winded much more easily.

              Do you feel that I should be taking it easier or is some exertion beneficial? How quickly can I get back to lifting weight and exercising? Should I push it a little bit or just progress as my body will allow? I know some people report taking quite some time to recover fully.
              Dude take a easy and get better before you start trying to exercise again.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by fatlittlepig

                Dude take a easy and get better before you start trying to exercise again.
                Haha sounds good! I honestly have been feeling quite well. I wasn’t sure if there was any evidence or recommendations for a more “active recovery.” I know that frequent mobilization and breathing therapy is a big deal with regards to post surgery recovery. I wasn’t sure if there is any similar evidence for recovering from something like this. Obviously my main concern is preventing the infection of others and getting plenty of rest.

                Comment


                • Our Beloved President is travelling Sun/Mon now that he's declared by CDC guidelines for mod disease by his physician that he's free to return to society. The caveats are that for severe disease it is rec up to 20 days. It's also said by our president that he's been sequentially testing his load. It's probably not negative as they would have provided that as a data point for release.

                  He's travelling regardless of what people think and say --- so my question to our critical care docs and immunology/ID SMEs.

                  ?: would you travel on Air Force One with him or rec any patient of yours to take that flight?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by StarTrekDoc
                    Our Beloved President is travelling Sun/Mon now that he's declared by CDC guidelines for mod disease by his physician that he's free to return to society. The caveats are that for severe disease it is rec up to 20 days. It's also said by our president that he's been sequentially testing his load. It's probably not negative as they would have provided that as a data point for release.

                    He's travelling regardless of what people think and say --- so my question to our critical care docs and immunology/ID SMEs.

                    ?: would you travel on Air Force One with him or rec any patient of yours to take that flight?
                    Just in case, “Medical Discussion of Coronavirus” seems to have lost its medical in this thread. Subtle like Al Bundy.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by StarTrekDoc
                      Our Beloved President is travelling Sun/Mon now that he's declared by CDC guidelines for mod disease by his physician that he's free to return to society. The caveats are that for severe disease it is rec up to 20 days. It's also said by our president that he's been sequentially testing his load. It's probably not negative as they would have provided that as a data point for release.

                      He's travelling regardless of what people think and say --- so my question to our critical care docs and immunology/ID SMEs.

                      ?: would you travel on Air Force One with him or rec any patient of yours to take that flight?
                      I don’t think he’s contagious. Again this is an example of the media and others applying a different standard to him because he’s trump. CDC guidelines state he is no longer contagious regardless of what his test status is. He did not have a severe case of CV19. His test status is irrelevant because we know that many people will persistently test positive because of the ability of pcr to detect viral fragments and the extreme sensitivity of pcr especially depending on the number of pcr cycles the test is using. From what I read his viral load has trended down, the number of pcr cycles needed to detect virus has increased, he has been afebrile and asx for many days, and he doesn’t have presence of genomic mRNA which is a proxy for active viral replication. Basically he’s has been more thoroughly evaluated than any covid patient in the country. It is what it is.

                      Comment


                      • I have a patient who works at a nursing home. He caught it when the nursing home all did. He is tested weekly and has been on and off positive since May

                        Comment


                        • Yeah we stopped pcr testing for the same reason for return to work status .

                          We do extend the timing depending on the disease course and that's the reason there is the 10-20 day grey area.

                          I've held people back but had more symptomatic care then his case. The again didn't have the cocktail of drugs he did either so hard to determine the real course.

                          Gutsy call on the immediate travel, but does qualify for essential worker status. Hopefully all will be well and safe for him and travellers. ​

                          Comment


                          • Europe’s second wave of coronavirus infections has struck well before flu season even started, with intensive care wards filling up again and bars shutting down. Making matters worse, authorities say, is a widespread case of “COVID-fatigue.”


                            The PBS article simply gives a view of the increases. One cannot be surprised that the medical point of view seems to be that it was avoidable.
                            Midpoint is a video that discussing the problem of "authoritarian" steps balanced with trust of the populations.

                            The closing paragraph:
                            "The WHO this week put out new advice for governments to consider more social, psychological and emotional factors when deciding on lock downs, closures or other restrictions — a nod to some in the field who say the mental health toll of lock downs is worse than the virus itself.
                            That data, Butler said, “is going to become more important because we have to understand what restrictions we can put in place that will be sustained and adhered to, and acceptable to our populations.”

                            At least according to press releases, North Korea has absolutely zero Covid-19 cases.
                            North Korean leader Kim Jong Un spoke to a large, mask-less crowd in Pyongyang saying he was thankful for the country not having a single coronavirus victim. 


                            Different perspectives. Not sure if Covid-19 actually has a preferred solution.


                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by FIREshrink
                              Chris Christie on precautionary hospital day 6:

                              https://nypost.com/2020/10/08/chris-...-after-5-days/
                              he made it!

                              Comment


                              • It's good to see Christie out. He had a few risk factors.

                                Saw a diagram of 2/2021 - 390k deaths; but if 95% mask compliance -- 310k.

                                While 80k is substantial (40% reduction) , it's amazing with even 95% compliance (pipedream) still 100K more deaths between now and 4 months. I hope they are dreadfully wrong on that and winter people will simply sequester among themselves instead of merging into giant clusters.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎