Medical Discussion of Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tim View Post
    The only problem with this approach the ability to fill all the teaching spots. Lower levels easy. Some classes fall in the area that online just doesn't work and are needed to fill out requirements. Worked out in advance is simply a logistical problem. The way these were handled makes that impossible.
    First I think this would call the bluff of the vast majority - at the end if the day most of us need these jobs

Second.. then we adapt with what we have.. still better than a few sabotaging the education of all

Comment

• Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

I agree. I’m a union fan (I think physicians should unionize) and my mom was even president of her teacher’s union, but the behavior of some of them is getting ridiculous. One of the public school districts opened up here last Monday to in person classes, and they had to cancel before they even had one class since the teachers refused to show up. They need to stop calling themselves front line workers if they refuse to work like all the other front line workers have been doing for the last 5 months.
      Couldn't agree more with this. Teachers are acting like their situation is so much more complex compared to everyone else's when really, it simply is not. And to suggest that online schooling is even half as effective as in-person teaching is a joke. Not to mention perhaps the most important aspect of in-person schooling, that being the development of social interaction and understanding among your peers. Especially in elementary aged children.

Comment

• Originally posted by HikingDO View Post

I agree. I’m a union fan (I think physicians should unionize) and my mom was even president of her teacher’s union, but the behavior of some of them is getting ridiculous. One of the public school districts opened up here last Monday to in person classes, and they had to cancel before they even had one class since the teachers refused to show up. They need to stop calling themselves front line workers if they refuse to work like all the other front line workers have been doing for the last 5 months.
        There has been a change. The use of "frontline" or "essential" has been stirred up. Teachers have been designated as "Critical Workers". Evidently the move is intended to up the power of the School Districts if the state and district choose. I do believe this has a legal impact on what the teachers can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
          It's pretty clear that many colleges were talking about being open and on campus when they knew behind closed doors that they would go virtual quickly after school started. It was all about the money for these colleges and trying to keep enrollment numbers (and people on campus) as high as possible. I saw on the news about a university where the professors had a protest for the university to go 100% virtual. The university informed them if that were to happen then they'd have to lay off many of the professors. They then altered their stance to go 100% virtual but also not lay anyone off. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. We're finding out which jobs are truly essential and which aren't. I would think that teachers would be essential but collectively they're really trying to make the case that they aren't essential and people will remember that when teachers' salaries come up again next. They're losing a lot of public support and sentiment.
          Agreed. I am not at all a fan of the way that universities have been using students as endless streams of ATMs with FAFSA debit cards and jacked up tuition to extract as much as they please. I have no doubt that if students knew they were going to virtual classrooms that they would be going to community colleges, likely those who specialized in online learning.

Comment

• Duh, teachers are taking advantage of covid. The longer they don’t teach the more fear of covid grows.

Comment

• This article sums it up:
              https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMms2024920

label teachers essential workers
              hazard pay
              teach

Comment

• Originally posted by fatlittlepig View Post
                This article sums it up:

hazard pay
                teach
                What about the other essential workers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sundance View Post
                  I would allow any teacher or professor to sit out for the year without pay... they can keep their jobs as a concession - otherwise If they want to be paid they need to show up and do their job like everyone else right now. It’s beyond ridiculous.
                  So they expect me and my nurses and front desk and billers to go to work every day, potentially exposing ourselves to coronavirus and its effects so that we can earn our pay and keep the economy rolling but they feel that their lives are more important that they would not teach in person. Why is 50% of my county taxes going towards the school district if this is what they want. They should be free to quit.

Where is Ronald Reagan, when we need him the most.

Last edited by Kamban; 08-21-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

This article sums it up:

hazard pay
                    teach
                    Somehow I have not received any hazard pay in the past few months when I have done every visit as an in person visit ( no zoom or telehealth).

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Sp they expect me and my nurses and front desk and billers to go to work every day, potentially exposing ourselves to coronavirus and its effects so that we can earn our pay and keep the economy rolling but they feel that their lives are more important that they would not teach in person. Why is 50% of my county taxes going towards the school district if this is what they want. They should be free to quit.

Where is Ronald Reagan, when we need him the most.

What I’d give to have Reagan running as President now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post

Somehow I have not received any hazard pay in the past few months when I have done every visit as an in person visit ( no zoom or telehealth).
                        When you’re dealing with teachers unions you gotta grease the wheels a bit.

Comment

• When teachers complain to me I just roll my eyes. But I imagine that if they were to complain to a grocery store clerk who has been working these past several months they would get punched in the throat.

Comment

When you’re dealing with teachers unions you gotta grease the wheels a bit.
                            I would think that just knowing they're doing their 'fair share' during this pandemic would be enough.

Comment

• Last Spring my my two school age kids had four hours of Zoom classes. Not per day, but per week! Utterly useless online “instruction”. School taxes weren’t reduced proportionally with the reduction in the quantity and quality of education.

We’re getting ready for online-only school starting at the end of August. No announcement yet on schedules, method of instruction, who the teachers will be, etc. Giving serious consideration to switching them to an online charter school.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hank View Post
                                Last Spring my my two school age kids had four hours of Zoom classes. Not per day, but per week! Utterly useless online “instruction”. School taxes weren’t reduced proportionally with the reduction in the quantity and quality of education.

We’re getting ready for online-only school starting at the end of August. No announcement yet on schedules, method of instruction, who the teachers will be, etc. Giving serious consideration to switching them to an online charter school.
                                Last spring it was truly teacher dependent. My kid's best friend in her class has a twin in a different class and the school experience of Twin A vs Twin B was night and day.

If it makes you feel any better, my kid began school and it is not really clear what the plan is. One would think that 5 months and innumerable "professional development" days they would have stuff sorted out a little better.

One would be incorrect in thinking that.

I have the utmost respect for teachers, but they need to spend more time figuring out how they're going to teach and less time complaining about the reality that all of us have been working under.

Comment

Working...
                                X