Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackmomma
    replied
    Boy this is such a tough question to answer. Because I've been in situations which are no win and situations where I was like wow my opinion really counts with these guys.

I think a LOT depends on where you live. I have basically found that the further in to a large metro you are, the harder it is to really have any leverage with meaningful hospital admin, i.e the guys that really move and shake the trees and not just some mid level guy that comes and goes. Because yeah in the big metro you really are that replaceable.

But in the suburbs further out you go, or better yet smaller cities/towns I've found that relations with hospital admin can really be collegial. Maybe cynically its because they don't have as many options but really I think its multi factorial.

I think what does work is to really try to get to know the hospital admin. Asking them to meet. Go to lunch. Stopping by to bounce ideas off them. When you go see them its not just to ask for something from them but to discuss with them civil manner.

Its also important to let them know when you do NOT like what they are doing either.

My view of hospital admin is yeah they're people too. (insert jokes here but its true). Human nature dictates if they only time they meet w/ docs its to either hear them complain like crazy, or ask for something well they are going to get tired of listening to you. but if you bring up meaningful topics that may align w/ what they want to do, e.g. quality then they will listen. It may take a while but you can start to get their respect.

I basically, and I know this sounds strange, try to talk to my hospital admin like I would my patients. Try not to get too high/low with them, keep it light at times esp in the beginning of a session to break ice, ask questions, show respect.

Anyways I may not be the greatest guy in the world to ask this question as I don't try and play the political game much where I've been but I've generally had positive experiences with admin wherever I've been. Except the first hospital I ever worked in the middle of the metro. That was a cesspool of backstabbers lol.

Leave a comment:

• Ivy
    replied

Secondly, and more importantly, there is really no such thing as a “good and trusting” relationship with a hospital.  As an (employed) physician you are simultaneously their biggest cost and asset.  If their calculus determines that you are costing more or bringing in less, the relationship will end quickly.

Sometimes I get accused of being a cynic. Guess not.

I don't know whether to feel happy for my fortunate situation or sad for yours.

Leave a comment:

• PTM
    replied

Ultimately, I think it comes down to developing a good, trusting relationship with the hospital.

This is difficult for a variety of reasons.  Even if you are able to develop said relationship, they folks you build relationships with are shuffled around and/or move away for promotions at astounding frequency.  Health care admin is a traditional career ladder.  Its up or out with these guys.

Secondly, and more importantly, there is really no such thing as a "good and trusting" relationship with a hospital.  As an (employed) physician you are simultaneously their biggest cost and asset.  If their calculus determines that you are costing more or bringing in less, the relationship will end quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Ivy
    replied
    My hospital adminstration has been great to work with.  As an anesthesia group, we are always replaceable, but service and quality are invaluable to the hospital.    No hospital wants to disrupt their most profitable parts of the hospital; traditionally surgery and the cath lab.

I have negotiated my group's last two contracts.  The adminstration (mostly the CEO and CMO) was very fair both times.  Ultimately, I think it comes down to developing a good, trusting relationship with the hospital.

Leave a comment:

• 15hrsaday
    replied
    Concur that op brings a good topic, we just can't let this forum turn in to a whinefest like sermo...

Leave a comment:

• Sammywoof
    replied
    Great topic. Love to hear hospital based docs experiences such as radiology, etc.

Thx

Leave a comment:

• BCBiker
    started a topic Doctors and Hospital Admin

Doctors and Hospital Admin

<h1>Below is a link to a recent NYTimes article on an Oregon hospitalist group and there interactions with hospital administration and the resulting unionization.</h1>

I have had the pleasure of interacting with hospital administration in the discussion of incentives and salaries for residents.  It is an uphill battle with almost zero chance of success.  From the discussion in this article, it doesn't look much better for physician groups that are somewhat "replaceable." By replaceable, I mean that the hospital can find a whole new group of physicians who are willing and able to do the same work.  Thus, these docs opted for unionization.

I would love to see an informed, experienced group of physicians discuss this topic openly to find potentially some things that can work and what never works. What was mentioned at the end of this article is that hospital admin always thinks it is all about money.  That is there sole vantage point.  For most docs, it is only partly about money.

I put this in "The Lounge" section, but I really think there should be a section for contract negotiations etc.
    <h1></h1>
    <h1 id="story-heading">Doctors Unionize to Resist<br data-owner="balance-text" />the Medical Machine - <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/business/doctors-unionize-to-resist-the-medical-machine.html?_r=0></h1>
Working...
X