Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post
    Where is ground zero?
    I think WBD is from NJ, if my memory serves me right.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyMoth View Post

thanks for the quick reply

should i be pushing my admin team to hold elective medical care even pre-outbreak?

We only have scattered cases in our area but we are also not testing. Would it make sense to try to “pre-emptively” flatten the curve by asking people to stay home and not mingle in our clinic?
      I dont even know why I bother speaking with hospital administration

I just brought up my concerns and was dismissed as overreacting and being too aggressive with rationing care

(Interesting to note, those hospital administrators are all working from home as we speak...)

I guess we will just wait for the outbreak to arrive before changing policy on treating conditions that can be treated in 3-6 months time with no adverse consequences

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyMoth View Post

I dont even know why I bother speaking with hospital administration

I just brought up my concerns and was dismissed as overreacting and being too aggressive with rationing care

(Interesting to note, those hospital administrators are all working from home as we speak...)

I guess we will just wait for the outbreak to arrive before changing policy on treating conditions that can be treated in 3-6 months time with no adverse consequences
        All my preconceived notions about how in the US we've made a grave mistake allowing non-practicing administrators make our hospitals' decisions have been confirmed by this. They act like we (physicians) can't also take into account a budget sheet and still make clinical decisions. We understand you need money to keep the doors open, but we too can do this.

At first discussion of a tent-based fever evaluation wing of the hospital it was shut down due to the "optics" of it all. F*ck the optics, these admins have no skin in the game here.

I'm so fired up about all this.

Comment

Originally posted by formerly_cn View Post
          Actually this is ground zero

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4797993/

Gotta do something about it. Kills the bats / stop eating exotic animals. Not sure. Next year: Super-Covid 20
          Great article. Check out that publication date.

But I hope you're kidding about killing the bats.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

Great article. Check out that publication date.

But I hope you're kidding about killing the bats.
            Too bad since the article is from 2015/16 that no one cared until this outbreak happened. Banning live animal markets would be a good place to start.

Comment

Just like last time, once the immediate threat no longer exists, funding is cutoff. No thought given to any benefit for finishing pieces or basic research to a logical point. 95% complete? It doesn’t matter. Retention or completion not funded. Problem solved.

Comment

Yep that's what's sad. Thoguh I don't blame anyone since alot of scientific studies use words like may/can/potential (for example , for science nerd like me, there are models or warp drive and space ships that can travel faster than speed of light - needed to get to next habitable planet: possible 200 yrs later we would say but ofcourse !!!)

Still now this outbreak confirms this theory imho. I am not kidding about killing bats in that region. What hatton says or stop eating weird animals (and getting bit in the process)

Comment

I am not kidding about killing bats in that region. What hatton says or stop eating weird animals !
                  You don't want to kill bats, as they serve important ecologic roles. But minimizing human contact with them, yes! (And that goes for other wild animals, as well.) We also want to remember that other species across the globe also have viruses with the potential to jump species and potentially become a pandemic. (Hantavirus, anyone?) Medical professionals around the world need to keep their eyes open for increasing cases of "odd" infections and report them; that's how we stop mutated zoonotic viruses before they can become a pandemic.

Leave the wild critters in the wild, where they belong.

Comment

may also find Michael Osterholm's "Deadliest Enemy" interesting, published 2017
                    Chapter 13 - SARS and MERS: Harbingers of Things to Come

An the dawn comes up like thunder outer China 'crost the Bay! - Rudyard Kipling, "Mandalay"

Comment

Yep that's what's sad. Thoguh I don't blame anyone since alot of scientific studies use words like may/can/potential (for example , for science nerd like me, there are models or warp drive and space ships that can travel faster than speed of light - needed to get to next habitable planet: possible 200 yrs later we would say but ofcourse !!!)

Still now this outbreak confirms this theory imho. I am not kidding about killing bats in that region. What hatton says or stop eating weird animals (and getting bit in the process)
                      There have never been any problems arising from humans eradicating entire species or irrevocably altering a local environment.

Comment

If my memory serves HIV and Ebola originated from "wild" african meat markets (not live). (At least that is a theory.) I will say again the world needs to stop live meat markets in cities. If you are going to eat wild meat be careful with obtaining and preparing it.

Comment

I agree with Artemis that bats are very important to the ecosystem. Pollination and mosquito control. Do not eat them.

Comment

Hahaha @G

Valid.

Still now that we got SARS and Corona from the same area, shouldn't there be international pressure to change habits etc ?

Also I hate this travel restricrion. Ugh. Looking after businesses gets hard if you don't have outside fun.

Depressing! Gonna go run in the park now.

Comment

Originally posted by WCInovice View Post

All my preconceived notions about how in the US we've made a grave mistake allowing non-practicing administrators make our hospitals' decisions have been confirmed by this. They act like we (physicians) can't also take into account a budget sheet and still make clinical decisions. We understand you need money to keep the doors open, but we too can do this.

At first discussion of a tent-based fever evaluation wing of the hospital it was shut down due to the "optics" of it all. F*ck the optics, these admins have no skin in the game here.

I'm so fired up about all this.
                              Our system has physicians at every level of governance and administration. I'm proud to be one of those admins. We are all doing the best we can.

Why not work somewhere you can be part of the solution, rather than just kvetch about how everyone else is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by FIREshrink View Post

Our system has physicians at every level of governance and administration. I'm proud to be one of those admins. We are all doing the best we can.

Why not work somewhere you can be part of the solution, rather than just kvetch about how everyone else is the problem?
                                what is it that your system is doing? Interested to hear good ideas like what SLC OB's system is doing.

Our system seems to be doing nothing. Restrict visitors? "We're talking about it." Separating respiratory complaints from gen pop? "We're talking about it."

Comment

Working...
                                X