Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proactively getting the virus...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Proactively getting the virus...

    "Up to 150 million Americans are expected to contract the corona virus"

    "60% to 70% of the German population could contract the coronavirus"

    I absolutely understand "flattening the curve". If it's as inevitable as many are projecting, what are thought of purposefully getting the virus now? If you really fall severely ill, you very well may be first, or near the front of the line, for comprehensive medical care. In my area, there are something like 30 cases. The hospitals right now are not overwhelmed. Fingers crossed you recover in 1-2 weeks, you are essentially immune.

    Better than being number 9,642 in the ER...

    Not that I have access to the virus. But if I could, I might. I'd get the chance to orderly close the office for 2 weeks. Stock the house with (more) food. And self quarantine until I'm over it. If tomorrow the state/town walks into my office & says one of my patients I saw 2 days ago tested positive & I need to self quarantine, its going to be chaotic for me. And my patients. And the off site facilities I attend weekly.

    How insane is my thinking?

    Would you?

    Let's keep discussion about the economic & societal aspects to their respective threads. This is just to briefly discuss the positives & negative about intentionally exposing oneself.
    $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

  • #2
    My first thought was it reminds me of this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugchasing

    Which tells you about how much sense I think it makes.

    Comment


    • #3
      “This idea, it is horrible.”
      Last edited by ENT Doc; 03-14-2020, 04:26 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        NO!!!!!!WAY!!!! I am 62. The longer I can put off being on a vent the better.

        Comment


        • #5
          Positive:
          Praised and become rich marketing the “Cubicle Coronavirus Vaccine”
          Negative:
          Check with an assortment of attorneys. Bankruptcy, malpractice, criminal, licensing, civil and criminal etc.
          Conclusion:
          Somehow “14 days” seems to imply a guarantee, warranty, get out of jail free card. What could go wrong? Decades from now, a judge or jury will let you know.

          Comment


          • #6
            Just because it worked with chickenpox( which has incredibly small mortality) Does not mean it would work here. Putting that risk up front before the system is overwhelmed is something to think about but I am not sure if I would take that risk.

            Also if something unfortunate did happen like causing a family member to be critically ill or worse. I do not know if I could live with myself by making that choice.

            Comment


            • #7
              [QUOTE= Also if something unfortunate did happen like causing a family member to be critically ill or worse. I do not know if I could live with myself by making that choice. [/QUOTE]

              Agree, it's not just about you with this virus. Others are affected by our actions. Have there been any reports, rumors, stories of people intentionally or knowingly infecting others?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                Just because it worked with chickenpox( which has incredibly small mortality) Does not mean it would work here. Putting that risk up front before the system is overwhelmed is something to think about but I am not sure if I would take that risk.

                Also if something unfortunate did happen like causing a family member to be critically ill or worse. I do not know if I could live with myself by making that choice.
                I have thought seriously about trying to get infected now but alas have no access to the bug. I would argue my patients and relatives would be FAR safer if I knew my precise exposure time and immediately self-quarantined. And I would be safer if I’m unlucky and need more advanced medical care. Gotta beat the rush.

                I’m in an ICU full of viral LRTI and HFNC and we know co-infection exists in kids. I’m probably going to eventually get it. And I’m in a low risk demographic. Otherwise, when can I safely visit my 80 year old grandma? May? June? August? I’ll only know I’m safe once I’ve gotten the virus and am over it. (Assuming negligible reinfection or a titer becomes available)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FunkDoc83 View Post

                  Agree, it's not just about you with this virus. Others are affected by our actions. Have there been any reports, rumors, stories of people intentionally or knowingly infecting others?
                  Not infecting. But definitely putting others at risk.
                  Just one example.
                  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ce/5000818002/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Absolutely not. I will try to avoid this thing like the plague, pun intended. Why? Because viruses like this have a variable effect on people’s immune systems. Some will have very mild responses, others can have very severe. There is no way to predict it. Not only that, but viruses can mutate as they move through a population. Sometimes in to more or less
                    deadly forms. As we saw in the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic that killed 5% of the worlds population, the first wave was not too bad (killing mostly elderly and infants), but the second wave was brutal because of a mutation. It preferentially killed people in the 18-25 age range at that point because it caused a cytokine storm in those young robust immune systems. Later it mutated again into a milder form and fizzled out. The same could happen with this. We just dont know. This isn't chicken pox folks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tim View Post

                      Not infecting. But definitely putting others at risk.
                      Just one example.
                      https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ce/5000818002/
                      Dont seek medical attention unless you are very ill. I plan on self isolating as much as possible anyway. I dont want to become a target like this poor family. Testing doesn’t change the treatment. As we all should have learned in medical school, what good does knowing which virus you have do if the treatment is the same either way? If you get sick, assume you have it, stay home. If you develop shortness of breath, then go seek medical help. Otherwise keep quiet and let it run it’s course.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PedsCCM View Post

                        I have thought seriously about trying to get infected now but alas have no access to the bug. I would argue my patients and relatives would be FAR safer if I knew my precise exposure time and immediately self-quarantined. And I would be safer if I’m unlucky and need more advanced medical care. Gotta beat the rush.

                        I’m in an ICU full of viral LRTI and HFNC and we know co-infection exists in kids. I’m probably going to eventually get it. And I’m in a low risk demographic. Otherwise, when can I safely visit my 80 year old grandma? May? June? August? I’ll only know I’m safe once I’ve gotten the virus and am over it. (Assuming negligible reinfection or a titer becomes available)
                        I can see why logically it makes sense. But if I by bad luck get it and pass it to someone I would feel terrible but I think I could get over that. If I sought out and self infected myself and something went wrong and a love one died because of it it would ruin me. Sometimes the ends do not justify the means. Sometimes the way it happens matters more then what happens.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think it is a fallacy to assume this is like the chicken pox, and you are over it once you acquire it. It killed a few 30-something physicians in China, possibly through repeated exposures.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            no this does not make sense.
                            1 corona infection does not give lifelong immunity.
                            and with a mortality rate above chickenpox/measles which spawned their own global crisis.....id pass.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I dont know where I read it but I remember reading that one of the deceased in Seattle area was relatively young and on second exposure.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X