X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank
    replied
    Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post
    There's not a single stat coming out of China that I trust.
    There’s not a single bat coming out of China that I trust.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Originally posted by burritos View Post

Criticisms of China and how open/trustworthy their markets are are legitimate. And skepticism of China as an investment risk is reasonable. But taking a broader look, maybe 30 years ago, China was basically a 1 billion person equivalent of North Korea. I think what they are today is a better alternative than if China had stayed the NoKo route, threatening to blow up nukes to achieve political concessions. But if you had to put money in China vs a "true" communist nations like Noko, Cuba, Venezuela, or Russia(the latter two being more petromafias vs communists), I think putting money where market greed is permitted to actualize(under a Chinese system) is not unreasonable.
    I never said I wouldn't invest in China. I have about 20% of my funds in a total international fund so a decent amount of that is China. I don't discourage people to invest in China, I just don't believe any information that comes out from there. Not that it matters because it doesn't change how I invest.

Leave a comment:

• Panscan
    replied

Criticisms of China and how open/trustworthy their markets are are legitimate. And skepticism of China as an investment risk is reasonable. But taking a broader look, maybe 30 years ago, China was basically a 1 billion person equivalent of North Korea. I think what they are today is a better alternative than if China had stayed the NoKo route, threatening to blow up nukes to achieve political concessions. But if you had to put money in China vs a "true" communist nations like Noko, Cuba, Venezuela, or Russia(the latter two being more petromafias vs communists), I think putting money where market greed is permitted to actualize(under a Chinese system) is not unreasonable.
    Why put money into communist nations at all. If we've learned nothing from covid it's that we should not be so reliant on one nation from a production standpoint. Need to diversify supply lines, even at the expense of cost.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Perhaps IMF is a little more reputable.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/imf-say...ne-11602592206

-The multilateral lending institution projected that Chinese economy will grow 1.9% and 8.2% in 2020 and 2021 respectively.
    -U.S., growth next year is projected at 3.1% after a 4.3% decline this year.
    -The eurozone will expand 5.2% after shrinking 8.3%.
    -Japan is likely to see 2.3% growth, following a 5.3% drop.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied

Let me just remind you what happened the last time a Chinese virus went viral...
    They closed the GDP gap?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	_113425291_chinagdp28y-apr2020-nc.png
Views:	95
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	233502

Click image for larger version

Name:	_113752315_us_gdp_growth_q2_2020-nc.png
Views:	87
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	233503

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Sorry to keep bumping this thread. Looks like the Chinese Tesla Virus is going viral:
    Let me just remind you what happened the last time a Chinese virus went viral...

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    Sorry to keep bumping this thread. Looks like the Chinese Tesla Virus is going viral:

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    HEVs use a battery to run the motor; just what charges the battery is simple hydrogen -- VERY low maintanence and not carrying around heavy expensive batteries. Range 400+ per refuel

Small problem. no infrastructure.

For cities with mass transit -- makes perfect sense for buses and airports and seaports for supporting this HEV tech.

We do have a hydrogen fueling station 1 mile away from us

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
    BEV - Battery EV; PHEV - PluginHybrid EV; HEV - Hydrogencell EV

ICE - Internal Combustion Engine
    Fuel Cell en masse will never come to fruition. I'm sure the technology is awesome and the scientist and engineers who are working on it really believe in it. But it's always be a red herring by ICE companies to show people that they're trending to clean energy. Only now with a disruptor poking in are the ICE companies starting to do BEV's.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    BEV - Battery EV; PHEV - PluginHybrid EV; HEV - Hydrogencell EV

ICE - Internal Combustion Engine

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied

Why do you say 'B' EV I figured out that it stands for battery, but all EV's have B's correct? Or was that the original term and it got cut short to EV?
    its just being more specific.
    bev, phev, hev......
    all squares are rectangles etc

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post
    "BEV car will save $790 over 15,000 miles (24,000km) compared to an ICE car. For an SUV the savings is $1,020, and for a pickup truck it estimates it to be $1,310."

That needs some real extrapolations for Cost of ownership on BEVs for SUV and pickup trucks --- wonder the n= on those categories as don't know any real BEV truck anywhere
    Why do you say 'B' EV I figured out that it stands for battery, but all EV's have B's correct? Or was that the original term and it got cut short to EV?

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    "BEV car will save $790 over 15,000 miles (24,000km) compared to an ICE car. For an SUV the savings is $1,020, and for a pickup truck it estimates it to be $1,310."

That needs some real extrapolations for Cost of ownership on BEVs for SUV and pickup trucks --- wonder the n= on those categories as don't know any real BEV truck anywhere

Leave a comment:

Working...
X