No announcement yet.

Tesla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ACN:  those are the available options, yes.

The First Production run will be fully loaded (+premium, +extended range battery included -- options for wheel and paint and autopilot upgrades), then they'll move to the next level with options in Jan-Mar 2018.

We're planning for $35,000 base (220 miles, 0-60 in 5.6 sec) + $5,000 Autopilot - $7,500 Federal Credit - $2,500 Cali State Credit =

so $30,000  is that true cost.

This is off our reservation page:

reservation made on March 31, 2016

• First Production

310 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive

$49,000

Nov 2017 - Jan 2018

• Standard Battery

220 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive

$35,000

Jan - Mar 2018

• Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Choice of 220 or 310 mile range

Sep - Nov 2018

Comment

• Unfortunately, the true M3 cost is as follows:

$35000 Base

+$1000 for non-black

+$1500 for non ugly rims

+$5000 for Premium package (anyone living in a cold environment or wanting “basic” features like power seats)

+$9000 for 310 mile range

+$5000 for autopilot

so $56500

This is correct. You forgot $3000 for future self driving

Comment

• People are going to have a hard time with the single, off center display. Its really not very safe to have it so far from the line of sight while driving. Impressed one version has 310 mile range though. It, like the S/X is simply way too bare bones on the inside for the price. Reminds me of my manual everything no center console power car I had the first couple years out.

Comment

• @acn:  those are the available options, yes.

The First Production run will be fully loaded (+premium, +extended range battery included — options for wheel and paint and autopilot upgrades), then they’ll move to the next level with options in Jan-Mar 2018.

We’re planning for $35,000 base (220 miles, 0-60 in 5.6 sec) + $5,000 Autopilot – $7,500 Federal Credit – $2,500 Cali State Credit =

This is off our reservation page:

reservation made on March 31, 2016

• First Production

310 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive

$49,000

Nov 2017 – Jan 2018

• Standard Battery

220 mile range with Rear Wheel Drive

$35,000

Jan – Mar 2018

• Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Choice of 220 or 310 mile range

Sep – Nov 2018

CA credit is obviously state specific.  Also, Fed Credit is going to be shrinking soon.  But my price was correct once you can choose options.

Comment

• @acn:  those are the available options, yes.

The First Production run will be fully loaded (+premium, +extended range battery included — options for wheel and paint and autopilot upgrades), then they’ll move to the next level with options in Jan-Mar 2018.

We’re planning for $35,000 base (220 miles, 0-60 in 5.6 sec) + $5,000 Autopilot – $7,500 Federal Credit – $2,500 Cali State Credit =

Click to expand…

CA credit is obviously state specific.  Also, Fed Credit is going to be shrinking soon.  But my price was correct once you can choose options.

All true; hence the reason why we saw the need to invest the $1000 a year ago to get ahead of the surge before the window closes.

Price can range greatly with any item of purchase:  between base and fully loaded with options, as well as location and timing can too as in this case for both state and federal credits.  (50% of all EV sales occur in CA, so CA specifics can be relevant in this matter).

Just pointing out that the 'affordable' base Model 3 is not vaporware or a red herring as some make it out to be --

At the end of the day, we are anticipating to get our base M3 with Autopilot for the cost of $30,000 between Jan-Mar 2018.  Which is a nice splurge for us.

Comment

• I’m waiting for self-driving van. Lay flat seating. Say take me to (700mi away destination), go to bed. Wake up you’re there, maybe it stopped to charge by itself midway. Beats flying. I’m guessing 10 years away, but who knows?

And an espresso machine. Oh, and a vacuum - apparently that's a thing now.

Comment

• I’m waiting for self-driving van. Lay flat seating. Say take me to (700mi away destination), go to bed. Wake up you’re there, maybe it stopped to charge by itself midway. Beats flying. I’m guessing 10 years away, but who knows?

in ten years, my kid will drive me there like that.  i have already made the investment, and the financial side is probably what most would consider a sunk cost.  i'm not sure if it is a sunk cost fallacy  

Comment

• I understand 100 mile range works for you. Great. You probably have another ICE car for long trips. Is this correct? With almost 300 mile range and superchanrger network you don’t need another car for long(er) trips with M3, MX or MS. This is where Tesla is way ahead of the competition.
                  Click to expand…

Yes, we have another ICE vehicle. It serves a specific purpose. It’s quite inexpensive. I’d mentioned that most households have more cars than drivers. I’m not naive enough to suggest 100% of ICE engines should go away today. Someday, with technology, we’ll see. Not for a while.

First of all, Tesla’s are expensive, and a luxury. Example:

We’re upgrading it for one reason only — Autopilot
                  Click to expand…

If folks want that a bonus, then fine, but most people don’t need it. (however, I’ll be the first to say every car should have it, so humans quit driving. We’re bad at it, we waste time doing it, it’s just a dumb thing not to have a computer do for us. I’d love to have AP and not have to drive.).

Anyway, cool AP stuff aside, my point is that given the low number of miles driven during the average commute:

And the low average miles per trip:

most driving done in America can be done by a 100 mile range vehicle. Yes, the supercharger stations allow for long distances which is awesome, and driving a Tesla is awesome and EV’s are fun to drive, but it’s not actually something needed. The costs to rent a car for your long 1x/year trip, or to have an ICE sitting around b/c you have multiple cars for now anyway just aren’t high enough for most people to (financially at least) justify a Tesla level prices.

I’m hung up that people might by a car that they can drive 500 miles, use it for that rarely, and often just drive around town. Buy what you want, but folks shouldn’t pretend it makes any sense. Clearly though, car buying isn’t rational, as we have way more BMW’s than people can really afford, etc. Fun to drive, but a pretty expensive way to keep our driveways from moving.

Given the real need (low miles) of folks, I’m optimistic the EV market will grow and help fill that need. Both practically, and psychologically having Tesla’s go from 100k to 30k is really dramatic. If the “fancy” car sells for 30, then I’d expect the markets to adjust accordingly. It’s nice Tesla has the extended range as a feature, but my argument is that practically, it isn’t actually needed. Mentally though it’s clear buyers like to think they need a higher range. Culturally,  we’ve tried to have one vehicle serve many purposes, and that doesn’t have to be the case.

From a financial perspective, even with the cheap cheap cost of fuel in America, the savings to folks for paying for electricity at home vs gasoline are really significant.

i hear what you are saying but when i go visit mom who is 250 miles a way and i usually drive her around when i'm there, it would be nice to have the extra mileage available.  we live in a somewhat rural area, so while there is a supercharger 80 miles from her, i do feel like i would just like to have the larger battery.  or i could get another car, just to have for this purpose but mentally that seems more wasteful.  my daily commute is 8 miles each way.  definitely don't need bigger battery if it weren't for some of the trips.

as chargers become more available, or alternately faster charging times develop, certainly size of battery less of an issue.  agree that costs will be going down. not sure how excited people will be if cost of gas remains low.

or just commit to volt instead of bolt/tesla.  however the autopilot is really driving my decision.  if other cars get autopilot, i would certainly look at them as well.

Comment

• If I never came across this website, I would have bought a S or X a few months as an attending. Now that the 3 is out, I did make a reservation, but I am trying to be disciplined and to save more. I've been wanting a Tesla for a very long time now.

Comment

• Cardinal rule of EVs is that you can never have enough range. Especially with urban driving, AC on and off, going up and down hills, etc. range suffers dramatically. There were some great lease deal on smaller EVs recently- Fiat 500e for $99/month. I guess you could make an argument that would be a deal on a second for a second car. For primary car, I wouldn't recommend 70-100 mile range if you do any kind of serious driving. Get the biggest battery you can afford.

Comment

• RJ, I think the cardinal rule should be to calculate how much you actually drive each day when deciding how much range you need.  I have an i3 (battery only version) and I have found that I rarely use more than 40% charge in one day.  And I drive a lot.  I have a new job about 25 miles from my house and I can drive there and back, ac or heat blasting and still get home with 60%+ charge.  For my driving habits a 300 mile range car would just not be necessary and would have been a waste of extra cash.  It would allow me to go longer in between charges (which I don't need because I have a charger at home and I can plug into a wall outlet at work).  We do own a second car (a Honda Fit) and will eventually be replacing it with an electric car too, but we rarely drive out of town.  We drove about 2 hours out of town last year one time.  So, I don't think it makes any sense to just blindly buy the biggest battery you can.  Pay attention to your own driving habits for a week and then decide what you need.  My wife only uses her Fit to drive to and from work and to and from her parents house or the grocery store.  No trip she makes is more than 5-10 miles at a time.  So a leaf would be perfectly fine for her (but she hates the look of those cars and that's why we didn't get one yet).

All of these range concerns are going to be a thing of the past in the near future.  When solid state batteries become the norm, electric cars will have a longer range than any gas car on the road and they'll be rechargeable in just minutes.

Comment

• People are going to have a hard time with the single, off center display. Its really not very safe to have it so far from the line of sight while driving. Impressed one version has 310 mile range though. It, like the S/X is simply way too bare bones on the inside for the price. Reminds me of my manual everything no center console power car I had the first couple years out.

Years ago Saturn came out with the Ion and it had a center display. Some people thought it would be bad to have it that way for the same reasons you cited. It was never proven to actually have a higher chance of causing accidents. I had the car for a while and it never bothered me or anyone else who drove it.

Comment

• A 100mi EV will satisfy almost all commuter needs -- even in the crazy places like the SF Bay area.  They dramatically outperform combustion (ICE) cars in traffic and hills because of regenerative braking.  AC takes about 10% of efficiency away, and that's not an issue even in our Spark EV.

The issue is that people will use their primacy commuter car more than that on the weekends, and the secondary car with kids definitely goes on lots of circular trips -- this is where our current EVs come up short on range and must rely our ICE as the backup.

The Fiat EV is GREAT and anyone with young children, it's simply the best value car out there.  We got it for $96/mo (inc tax) and a yearly $400 rental credit to use for distance trips.  (this didn't even include the $2500 cali credit).  But alas we have two teenagers now and they are cramped in the back and it's strictly a commuter car for us.  We simply need more space and cargo room

The next gen EVs are coming with the improved battery efficiency.  The Niro EV is our next target for the local hauler.

As for Gas vs EV -  even at its lowest gas prices, plug in was superior in costs even charging during peak times.  It's on average 50% cheaper and that's been getting wider again as oil has been creeping up again after the collapse down to $30 last Jan.   ICE will never compete against cheap electricity.

Coming back to Tesla --  Autopilot is the real reason we're paying the modest premium for the Model 3.  If you're not into that and want a bit more cargo and range -- Bolt is and the upcoming Leaf 2.0 in September are good options.

Comment

Click to expand…

Years ago Saturn came out with the Ion and it had a center display. Some people thought it would be bad to have it that way for the same reasons you cited. It was never proven to actually have a higher chance of causing accidents. I had the car for a while and it never bothered me or anyone else who drove it.

I dont necessarily think it will result in a statistical amount of issues, but do think people will "feel" its awkward and unsafe and lead to comments, articles, etc...After a couple of weeks it should be adapted to, but will be awkward to start. I think its a poor PR move, just as calling assist tech autopilot was and the falcon doors. Both extremely unnecessary and lead to all kinds of issues.

Comment

• Fair enough. You are making a multi-year investment though (unless you lease). You job may change, etc. Extra range future proofs you a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X