• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Dont_know_mind
    Physician

• Dont_know_mind
    replied

I won’t go out and short it personally, but it seems like the bill is coming due for the company.

I was tempted to short it about a year ago. Glad I don't do that sort of stuff anymore. It would have been frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• White.Beard.Doc
    Physician

• White.Beard.Doc
    replied
    Zaphod, don't you think the absolute worst case scenario if Tesla gets into increasing financial problems would be a buyout by Toyota, Mercedes (Daimler), BMW, or Apple?

Audi and others cannot build a BEV that has the efficiency and range of Tesla.  (The Jaguar and Audi struggle to get barely over 200 miles of range.)  Tesla's technology is years ahead of anyone else.  The latest Model S with everything but Ludicrous is up in features and down significantly in price. Porsche asks, "How the ************************ can they build them for such a low cost?" Mercedes and BMW are very concerned that Tesla is going to eat their lunch.  The range for the Model S keeps growing and was recently increased to 370 miles.  Who drives 370 miles in one day?  I do, but it is way less than once a year and I can easily fill up at the superchargers.

My Tesla is far superior to anything else I have ever owned.  I have maintenance done perhaps once every 2 years or so, instead of perhaps 5 times in 2 years.  They come to my house to do the maintenance roughly half the time.  Once in a while (quite rarely) the computer that controls the ancillaries of the car will start acting funky, so I simply reboot the display computer while driving down the road without any issue, and the computer finishes rebooting in 60 seconds and everything is back to normal.  I cannot use autopilot during the reboot, but the vehicle turns, accelerates, regenerates while slowing, brakes and functions otherwise completely normally while rebooting.  I fill the tank from the sun (indirectly... grid tied) in my personal garage every night. And I get paid a bonus rebate by the electric utility over 50 dollars every month to fill the battery after midnight in my own home.

I continue to own 2 Teslas for a total of 10 ownership years combined, one for almost 7 years and one for 3 years.  I am almost ready to buy another one.  No worries for this guy.  I bought the stock back when the price was in the 20's because I believed Musk had demonstrated his ability to pull off rare feats while building companies.  This is also one of my rare single stock positions, and it is more for fun and to support innovation rather than simply an investment.

And yes... I am a Tesla fanboy, but it is based on personal experience and reasoned analysis, not smoke and mirrors.

Leave a comment:

• Panscan
    Resident

• Panscan
    replied
    Charging for 30 min every 200 miles sounds not fun. That's 30 min for every 3 hr you drive or perhaps less.

Leave a comment:

• Zaphod
    Physician

• Zaphod
    replied
    I have rented and driven the car, the model s, not a 3.

Great fun car, poorly run company. You can hold both views, sad the fate of one is ultimately tied to the other. I wish it were better run, and it will be a bet loss to the industry.

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc

• StarTrekDoc
    replied
    Status symbol ? --  If you believe the Prius is a status symbol, then the Model 3 and Y will gladly take on that mantel.   The X and Roadster are eye candy and will remain that while the 3 and Y will take on the well-to-do masses.

Higher end sales will erode and regress to normal Premium Performance Luxury quantities -- they still top the sales in their segment while now topping top 4 car sales in California last quarter.

Competition is coming - but still not as good as Tesla on several fronts.  We like the Niro EV - but no volume sales to lower price until they get battery supply sustainable.  Audi etron is overpriced and underwhelming.  BMV i3?  delayed and underperforms already.  I can't wait to get more EV options.

Infrastructure -  The BEV segment remains in its infancy.  When the Model T mass produced car was made, there were barely even roads let alone gas stations ready to support the horseless carriage.    At least most buyers of the Tesla 3 will have access to a 240V plug today and that's fine until solutions for the metro and apartment dwellers.

We traveled 1700 miles to Grand Canyon from San Diego last month.  Not an issue.  Every 200 miles charged 30min, which is good for us to stretch, bathroom and snack.  Throw in Autopilot and that was an easy, relaxing, and low stress drive with plenty of energy at the end of the 8 hour drive.

Any company can go under and anxiety from such purchases.   We had to deal with Saturn.  Is it a risk? sure.  Now in year 2 of production with high volume, parts will be plenty available.

Go drive the car.  Rent one for a week.  You probably will end up buying some EV afterwards.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X