Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Reddit
    —-
    I grew up in this community (lived 1.5 miles from the accident).

That’s a high-security gated part where everyone in or out is monitored. Drivers license, license plate, etc. The only way for someone to be in there, even to ************************ around with launch mode, is with direct permission of a resident. There are no medians, no white lines, nothing of the sort. 20 foot wide streets with custom stop signs and street signs. Very very few houses. There are no straight roads, and there are crosswalks everywhere on the Main Street for the golf course.

This is either someone who got smashed at a party and/or someone testing out launch mode. Again, no straight line streets anywhere, so no goddamn clue what they were thinking.

No way in ************************ it was autopilot.
    —-
    Have to see the data from Tesla to see what they were doing. There’s dumb people dying in cars all the time.

The thing that sticks out to me is that firefighters do need to carry a different type of flame suppression if there’s going to be more evs on the road. Evs don’t burst into flames as much as gas cars, but when they do it’s harder to stop with just water.

Comment

• A little misleading reddit post. The Woodlands is large residential development, 24 square miles population over 113k. The particular neighborhood is a golf course community. The street signage and roads are standard residential subdivision markings and size.

Property owners are assessed property taxes for the “volunteer” fire department and EMS services. That brings up the question of who pays for the infrastructure for EV’s? Firefighting equipment and training was suggested. Same as recharging availability. From a selfish standpoint, don’t cut my services and don’t raise my taxes. Most suggestions are someone else will pay for it.
      Last edited by Tim; 04-19-2021, 03:43 AM. Reason: If I pay for the firefighting equipment, should I get free access to the golf club?

Comment

• I’ve only driven reliable economy Japanese sedans but I did place a refundable $100 pre-order deposit for the Cybertruck.

From a design viewpoint, I don’t think i could get anything further removed from the civics, accords, and altimas i’ve always owned 🙂

Comment

• Originally posted by MoneyMoth View Post
          I’ve only driven reliable economy Japanese sedans but I did place a refundable $100 pre-order deposit for the Cybertruck.

From a design viewpoint, I don’t think i could get anything further removed from the civics, accords, and altimas i’ve always owned 🙂
          Did you see the videos of the cybertruck at the austin plant when elon showed up? It seems more real (but still ridiculous) covered in dirt rather than surrounded by cyberpunk flamethrowers lol. My wife is too bougie to be seen in one or I'd get one next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nysoz View Post

Did you see the videos of the cybertruck at the austin plant when elon showed up? It seems more real (but still ridiculous) covered in dirt rather than surrounded by cyberpunk flamethrowers lol. My wife is too bougie to be seen in one or I'd get one next.
            i’ll have to check those out

i placed the deposit last week so i’m pretty sure i won’t be taking delivery into 2022 (it sounds like it may not even be ready until 2022) or 2023

my wife is also now regretting the decision to tell me “sure honey get whatever you want”, she is not a fan of the look either.

i’ve never owned an electric vehicle before but in truth, the thing that excites me the most is the exoskeleton and the durability. as someone whose front clip (soft japanese paint...) and windshield gets absolutely demolished by rock chips from long highway commuting, i’m really interested to see just how durable the cyber truck is. as far as i know, no one else sells a bulletproof car straight from the factory 🙂

Comment

• Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
              From Reddit
              —-
              I grew up in this community (lived 1.5 miles from the accident).

That’s a high-security gated part where everyone in or out is monitored. Drivers license, license plate, etc. The only way for someone to be in there, even to ************************ around with launch mode, is with direct permission of a resident. There are no medians, no white lines, nothing of the sort. 20 foot wide streets with custom stop signs and street signs. Very very few houses. There are no straight roads, and there are crosswalks everywhere on the Main Street for the golf course.

This is either someone who got smashed at a party and/or someone testing out launch mode. Again, no straight line streets anywhere, so no goddamn clue what they were thinking.

No way in ************************ it was autopilot.
              —-
              Have to see the data from Tesla to see what they were doing. There’s dumb people dying in cars all the time.

The thing that sticks out to me is that firefighters do need to carry a different type of flame suppression if there’s going to be more evs on the road. Evs don’t burst into flames as much as gas cars, but when they do it’s harder to stop with just water.
              I’m not really sure we can expect every fire department in the country to start buying different fire suppression stuff, especially as EV are a small part of the spectrum of cars out there. Perhaps there should be a tax or fee on EVs to subsidize this purchase then? Make the people who want to buy EVs pay for it if they are so difficult to put out once on fire.

Seems like a ton of water to use, not sure how much would have been used for a gas car.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panscan View Post

I’m not really sure we can expect every fire department in the country to start buying different fire suppression stuff, especially as EV are a small part of the spectrum of cars out there. Perhaps there should be a tax or fee on EVs to subsidize this purchase then? Make the people who want to buy EVs pay for it if they are so difficult to put out once on fire.

Seems like a ton of water to use, not sure how much would have been used for a gas car.

As the EV share becomes a bigger piece of the pie and the gasoline models keep shrinking 9 GM wants to eliminate it by 2035) it behooves the fire departments to start having fire retardant in stock for lithium battery fires.

If I am having to pay a tax or fee for the fire risk for my Tesla, give me a credit back for the gasoline card I did not have but am still paying for it through my taxes. I think that sounds silly but in reality fire / police is common insurance that all of us pay for whether we use it or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post

As the EV share becomes a bigger piece of the pie and the gasoline models keep shrinking 9 GM wants to eliminate it by 2035) it behooves the fire departments to start having fire retardant in stock for lithium battery fires.

If I am having to pay a tax or fee for the fire risk for my Tesla, give me a credit back for the gasoline card I did not have but am still paying for it through my taxes. I think that sounds silly but in reality fire / police is common insurance that all of us pay for whether we use it or not.
                  https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/elon...sla-crash.html

I read Elon’s response. My question is how does a car travel at a high rate of speed without a driver?
                  Safety feature #1: Is a driver’s butt in the driver’s seat? Who would have thought of that?

Comment

• There is nothing special so far as equipment for an electric car fire, but the fact is that it will spontaneously reignite for hours or days and that has to be dealt with.

If you see the map of where they left from and where the impacted, there is zero chance autopilot was involved. They were 200 meters from the house on a curvy road without markings. It simply couldn't have been activated in that space, and wouldn't have gone fast enough to hit that speed. This will turn out to have been caused by a 3rd occupant who got out and ran home, or the driver climbed to the back attempting to escape.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim View Post

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/19/elon...sla-crash.html

I read Elon’s response. My question is how does a car travel at a high rate of speed without a driver?
                      Safety feature #1: Is a driver’s butt in the driver’s seat? Who would have thought of that?
                      There is no way that car drove itself at high speed with no driver in the driver seat or without someone actively holding the steering wheel and also pressing the accelerator pedal. There is no way a FSD will go at high speeds on an unmarked curvy road.

I was a driver of a Tesla that hit a vehicle that pulled out suddenly in front of me on a 4 lane road in front of a parked vehicle. Even at 30 mile per hour impact all airbags blew open and the car got totalled. Luckily I could get out of the driver's door. I suspect we will find, when the investigation is complete, that there was a driver who drove it at high speed, lost control and crashed into a tree. The airbags deployed and maybe the batteries caught fire immediately or the driver's side door became jammed,. He tried to find a way out via the back doors but the fire was too hot by then and he could not escape. This was a stupid human mistake, not a Tesla driverless vehicle causing the crash.

Comment

• Tesla gets its info in real time about crashes. When I had my crash and even before the airbags started to deflate and I could get out I had a call on my cell phone. I got out and looked at the caller and it was Tesla. They had the info about the crash, air bag deployments, site of crash and speed of impact etc well before any first responders. They offered to cal the police / ambulance and send a tow vehicle if needed.

So if Tesla says Autopilot was not deployed, it was not deployed. They are not stupid to give out false info since the NHTSA will ask for the crash details from Tesla and they are not going to fudge data ( unlike VW). If inside camera above the rear view mirror could have been deployed ( obviously not done for privacy reasons) we could even have an video of the inside of the car and see that an occupant was in the driver's seat driving the vehicle.

Comment

Tesla gets its info in real time about crashes. When I had my crash and even before the airbags started to deflate and I could get out I had a call on my cell phone. I got out and looked at the caller and it was Tesla. They had the info about the crash, air bag deployments, site of crash and speed of impact etc well before any first responders. They offered to cal the police / ambulance and send a tow vehicle if needed.

So if Tesla says Autopilot was not deployed, it was not deployed. They are not stupid to give out false info since the NHTSA will ask for the crash details from Tesla and they are not going to fudge data ( unlike VW). If inside camera above the rear view mirror could have been deployed ( obviously not done for privacy reasons) we could even have an video of the inside of the car and see that an occupant was in the driver's seat driving the vehicle.
                          No one said it was false. Just for your info the contact capability is widely available. Wrecker, ambulance and cops called within about 30 seconds by a different manufacturer.

Car's should not accelerate without a driver in the seat. You make like the car driving by itself to come to the curb. But is it safe without a driver in the seat? In this case we will see if a driver was there when it accelerated,

Comment

• Also I saw something where the fire was exaggerated and was put out in minutes of being there. The fire department just stayed there after to spray water on the battery to keep it from reigniting or something.

Comment

There is no way that car drove itself at high speed with no driver in the driver seat or without someone actively holding the steering wheel and also pressing the accelerator pedal. There is no way a FSD will go at high speeds on an unmarked curvy road.

I was a driver of a Tesla that hit a vehicle that pulled out suddenly in front of me on a 4 lane road in front of a parked vehicle. Even at 30 mile per hour impact all airbags blew open and the car got totalled. Luckily I could get out of the driver's door. I suspect we will find, when the investigation is complete, that there was a driver who drove it at high speed, lost control and crashed into a tree. The airbags deployed and maybe the batteries caught fire immediately or the driver's side door became jammed,. He tried to find a way out via the back doors but the fire was too hot by then and he could not escape. This was a stupid human mistake, not a Tesla driverless vehicle causing the crash.
                              First, sad to see this happen. I believe news article came out saying one was a doctor.

But well said Kamban. I mean its fine to be a Bear on the stock, but the false narratives and media articles coming out are just terrible. As the new age kids call it. FUD.

Comment

• “But well said Kamban. I mean its fine to be a Bear on the stock, but the false narratives and media articles coming out are just terrible. As the new age kids call it. FUD.”

What is the false narrative? Respectfully, the news article is what I am referring to.

“In this case we will see if a driver was there when it accelerated,”

NTSB needs to rely on data provided by manufacturers. The local officials reported what they found. No one said assisted driving was engaged. It is an unknown. As a matter of fact, the unknown is whether ELON was authorized to release any information . The process is supposed to be confidential until the joint investigation is complete. Maybe ELON had clearance, maybe not. It is an unusual situation.
                                The prior reports on battery fires indicate that they are subject to reigniting. Known fact, not limited to Tesla batteries.

This is one of 28 investigations into Tesla crashes. Let’s wait for the report from NTSB.

Maybe it will conclude the stupid humans should be banned from driving Tesla’s. I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                                X