No announcement yet.

Tesla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya the wheel and gear change stuff seems weird. Especially when touchscreens are notoriously glitchy

Comment

• Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
      Also probably going to start a fsd subscription service soon.
      Can you start a subscription service for something that doesn't exist? Honest question because I was under the impression that FSD isn't a thing or at least functioning yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kamban View Post

My wife was admiring the previous Model S when we went to pick up the Model Y in Nov. She would have loved to get that as her next car and I can afford it. But I knew the battery tech and other things were old and it was due to a major refresh. I was hoping that they would incorporate the new battery tech with 4608 battery pack in it for a longer range in a luxurious car.

Instead we get a mess. The yoke wheel which will be a pain for may major turning around like we may to do on our driveway. And no P/D/N/R except on a touch screen that would not fly with her. Why the h*ll can't they just put buttons for it on the center console like we have on our MDX. I have had touchscreens go blank for some time on my Model3 and will never accept gear buttons on a touchscreen. Sometimes Tesla becomes too smarty pants for their own good. Elon is trying to be like Steve Jobs trying to say " I know what you need more than what you think you need". Might work for a phone but not for a car.
        Yeah the whole yoke thing turned me off as well. I don’t even know if it’s allowed by nhtsa/regulations. I wonder if it’ll change prior to delivery.

sometimes they try to solve problems that aren’t problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

Can you start a subscription service for something that doesn't exist? Honest question because I was under the impression that FSD isn't a thing or at least functioning yet.
          They’re currently in their beta version 10 to select testers. Elon has said once it gets to around 12 then it’ll go wider to their early access program. Then roll out to the fleet once most bugs worked out. Or at least that’s the plan.

you can watch YouTube videos of people driving (or it driving them) around. For most simple turns and intersections it does relatively well. There’s a lot of edge scenarios and tough spots that still challenge it and confuse it and require intervention.

Comment

• just trying to keep car vs investment separate.

Comment

• So hidden in the code/configurator there were pictures of the model s/x refresh with a normal steering wheel.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/38976/...steering-wheel

Comment

• just an FYI for those looking to jump in soon for planning purposes:

- make sure you have a referral code to place the order from the start, you cannot add it later.
                - if you are ok with a fleet/service model call the main office and see if there is inventory near you as not everything is listed online. you might find a worthwhile discount depending on what exactly you are looking for.
                - make sure you decide on the model type first. if you change your mind, you lose the $100 deposit and are charged a new $100. however, you are allowed to change trim levels within the same model without losing the deposit.
                - once you place a deposit you actually can pause the order for up to 6 months. all it does is ensure the price in case it goes up in the future (such as FSD).
                - whomever you added to the registration also needs to be present for pick up.
                - expect no real updates. youll get random texts or just see random items change in your online account without notification.
                - once you are matched to a VIN, you will be assigned a delivery window of 3 days for pick up.
                - if you cannot make that window, you get unassigned from the VIN, placed in the back in the queue, and wait for the next car that matches your config to arrive. then the process repeats: assigned VIN, date scheduled, 3 day window. you have 3 months to take delivery before your order can be cancelled.
                - they do not deliver cars to your location unless you are >250 miles from a store. service centers do not count. it costs $750 to deliver the car otherwise.
                - for distant customers, they can offer a rental vehicle.
                - for planning purposes, most insurance companies allow you to start a new vehicle quote online once you have a VIN and can start coverage the next day.
                - easiest payment option is ACH pull. however they use a service called Plaid, which does not sync with all banks. and even though the website says certified checks only, they do take personal checks. you can also wire.
                - do not expect any real walkthrough on delivery day. you have plenty of time to inspect the car and decide if you want it or reject it (bring a checklist from online). but theres not going to be a 2 hr tutorial about how it works.

of note, no i do not own a tesla.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
                  So hidden in the code/configurator there were pictures of the model s/x refresh with a normal steering wheel.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/38976/...steering-wheel
                  That is good, but no physical gear shifter buttons is no go for me.

Comment

Boomer! Just kidding.

Comment

Seems like car-makers continue to make every control/feature go through the main touchscreen or entertainment unit which sucks when that thing breaks or is unresponsive. I'm a simple button guy

Comment

• Originally posted by Panscan View Post

Seems like car-makers continue to make every control/feature go through the main touchscreen or entertainment unit which sucks when that thing breaks or is unresponsive. I'm a simple button guy
                        Things that are used in emergencies should be physical.

I find the auto wipers atrocious on a Tesla. Works one minute, gone the next. Instead of putting rain sensors on the windshield they talk about deep rain sense,, AI and laser wiper. What nonsense. Just put the regular wiper control and rain drop sensors and be done with it Hunting for a button on a touchscreen while the rain is pouring down and you can't see the vehicles in front of you is sheer idiocy.

The physical gear button is a must. What happens if you rear end some one and the screen goes blank but you need to reverse back and move out of harms way. Or make quick shifts between R and D. Are you going to hunt for a touchscreen button? Elon is a smart guy but sometimes things like these make me wonder if there is a bit of stupidity still remaining behind in him.

Comment

• I think model s/x refresh deliveries start in feb. we'll see what the reviews are and if the whole no stalk/yoke thing actually gets delivered. He's said some crazy stuff before only to have it walked back at delivery.

Comment

• Originally posted by Peds View Post
                            just an FYI for those looking to jump in soon for planning purposes:

- make sure you have a referral code to place the order from the start, you cannot add it later.
                            - if you are ok with a fleet/service model call the main office and see if there is inventory near you as not everything is listed online. you might find a worthwhile discount depending on what exactly you are looking for.
                            - make sure you decide on the model type first. if you change your mind, you lose the $100 deposit and are charged a new $100. however, you are allowed to change trim levels within the same model without losing the deposit.
                            - once you place a deposit you actually can pause the order for up to 6 months. all it does is ensure the price in case it goes up in the future (such as FSD).
                            - whomever you added to the registration also needs to be present for pick up.
                            - expect no real updates. youll get random texts or just see random items change in your online account without notification.
                            - once you are matched to a VIN, you will be assigned a delivery window of 3 days for pick up.
                            - if you cannot make that window, you get unassigned from the VIN, placed in the back in the queue, and wait for the next car that matches your config to arrive. then the process repeats: assigned VIN, date scheduled, 3 day window. you have 3 months to take delivery before your order can be cancelled.
                            - they do not deliver cars to your location unless you are >250 miles from a store. service centers do not count. it costs $750 to deliver the car otherwise.
                            - for distant customers, they can offer a rental vehicle.
                            - for planning purposes, most insurance companies allow you to start a new vehicle quote online once you have a VIN and can start coverage the next day.
                            - easiest payment option is ACH pull. however they use a service called Plaid, which does not sync with all banks. and even though the website says certified checks only, they do take personal checks. you can also wire.
                            - do not expect any real walkthrough on delivery day. you have plenty of time to inspect the car and decide if you want it or reject it (bring a checklist from online). but theres not going to be a 2 hr tutorial about how it works.

of note, no i do not own a tesla.
                            Solid DD

Comment

• Going from 0-60 in 2 seconds seems like a dangerous feature. There are two rich people in my area going to jail for a long time for recently racing and running over 2 kids. I think killing other rich people's kids is one of the few things that rich people can't get away with.

Comment

Things that are used in emergencies should be physical.
                                Precisely. I am not a fan at all of the touchscreen gear shifter.

Comment

Working...
                                X