Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by DCdoc View Post
    pinewood derby car I built in cub scouts
    That's it! PINEWOOD DERBY! I knew I recognized it!!! Except mine was painted camo colors as I recall.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BCBiker View Post
      If I ever had to buy a truck, I would buy the cybertruck. But I would only buy a truck if I ran a construction business. If you compare CT with the common jacked up dumb ****************** trucks that so many people have, the Tesla at least has features that are desirable, like acceleration, ability to power tools, a ramp. Imagine moving a couch and your truck crouches for you to walk it up... Common trucks are just so dumb. The fact that people are scoffing at CT is just hilarious.
      I like that they are at least pushing the envelope but this truck would be awful for a construction business as far as functionality goes. Where would you put your tool box? How do you reach stuff that is in the bed closest to the cabin? The design doesn't allow you to reach over and grab something from the bed easily. I guess you could stand on the tire but that would be somewhat awkward.

      Comment


      • It just needs a gun turret on the back and it will be ready to fight off the alien menace on Ganymede

        Comment


        • Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

          I like that they are at least pushing the envelope but this truck would be awful for a construction business as far as functionality goes. Where would you put your tool box? How do you reach stuff that is in the bed closest to the cabin? The design doesn't allow you to reach over and grab something from the bed easily. I guess you could stand on the tire but that would be somewhat awkward.
          I lived my whole life up until going to college working with trucks. Reaching up over the edge of a truck is not what I would call convenient. That is actually a design flaw of current pickups. The work around has been tool chests that ride up on the edge of the bed. Unfortunately, if you have a jacked up truck and you are 5'7" (average height of person with jacked up truck), you cannot actually reach your tools from the ground.

          Besides, why would you reach over an edge if you can just walk up into bed where you have your full tool chest with a convenient cover. If truck-users could have done this all along, one would never ride a tool chest up on the box. The advantages to this for someone who actually uses a truck is just not fully appreciated. You can have a permanent tool chest in the bed of truck that is full covered and secure and which when you are on site you can walk up from the ground level with minimal effort. When I would work with my family at job sites, the kids would be the ones to hop up in the bed of the truck to grab things because everyone over forty didn't have the ability to hop in and out of bed like the kids (bad knees, obesity, etc.).

          For people who truly need trucks (farmers, construction workers, electricians, agronomists, mechanics, vacuum cleaner salesman, etc.), this will have so much functionality. For bros, casual truck users/commuters, and thrill-seekers, you have the performance, divisive looks, fuel-savings, off-roading capabilities, convenience of loading/unloading couches and "toys", cap-space, affordability, and on and on.

          This thing is going to sell millions. Mark my words.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BCBiker View Post
            If I ever had to buy a truck, I would buy the cybertruck. But I would only buy a truck if I ran a construction business. If you compare CT with the common jacked up dumb ****************** trucks that so many people have, the Tesla at least has features that are desirable, like acceleration, ability to power tools, a ramp. Imagine moving a couch and your truck crouches for you to walk it up... Common trucks are just so dumb. The fact that people are scoffing at CT is just hilarious.
            What? There are all kinds of truck for all kinds of applications. This is most certainly not a "truck", and isnt even a vehicle that could be produced as its grossly illegal as is. I'd say cybertruck makes sense in the same way that cyber means "not real".

            Common trucks are common because they fill a need well, obviously, or they wouldnt be that common. Acceleration, ability to power tools are not things necessary for trucks or tools. There are better solutions and applications for both of these issues already and thus need no solving. You dont have to imagine a truck lowering for loading as this is an available feature already on some models.

            People are scoffing at it because its a joke and in no way shape or form will impact the broader truck market. Maybe some tech bros and mad max folks and people that long for the citroen karin and dolorean mashup no one ever asked for. This isnt even a new design as the above folks did it in the 80s, and it flopped then as well.

            I do agree that us not tall folks have difficulty getting stuff out of the bed, for example I have to get my fishing poles out of my friends truck by stepping on the wheel rim, lol, short people problems.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by BCBiker View Post

              I lived my whole life up until going to college working with trucks. Reaching up over the edge of a truck is not what I would call convenient. That is actually a design flaw of current pickups. The work around has been tool chests that ride up on the edge of the bed. Unfortunately, if you have a jacked up truck and you are 5'7" (average height of person with jacked up truck), you cannot actually reach your tools from the ground.

              Besides, why would you reach over an edge if you can just walk up into bed where you have your full tool chest with a convenient cover. If truck-users could have done this all along, one would never ride a tool chest up on the box. The advantages to this for someone who actually uses a truck is just not fully appreciated. You can have a permanent tool chest in the bed of truck that is full covered and secure and which when you are on site you can walk up from the ground level with minimal effort. When I would work with my family at job sites, the kids would be the ones to hop up in the bed of the truck to grab things because everyone over forty didn't have the ability to hop in and out of bed like the kids (bad knees, obesity, etc.).

              For people who truly need trucks (farmers, construction workers, electricians, agronomists, mechanics, vacuum cleaner salesman, etc.), this will have so much functionality. For bros, casual truck users/commuters, and thrill-seekers, you have the performance, divisive looks, fuel-savings, off-roading capabilities, convenience of loading/unloading couches and "toys", cap-space, affordability, and on and on.

              This thing is going to sell millions. Mark my words.
              I'm 6'1" so a little taller than the average American but I've never had an issue reaching over and grabbing whatever I needed. I'd much rather do that than put the tailgate down, pull the ramp down, walk up the ramp for whatever I need, put the ramp back up, then put the tailgate up. I don't think having a ramp will really make it easier for those with bad knees, obesity, etc. If anything it will create more of a fall risk for these patients trying to go up and down that ramp, especially in any kind of damp conditions.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

                What? There are all kinds of truck for all kinds of applications. This is most certainly not a "truck", and isnt even a vehicle that could be produced as its grossly illegal as is. I'd say cybertruck makes sense in the same way that cyber means "not real".

                Common trucks are common because they fill a need well, obviously, or they wouldnt be that common. Acceleration, ability to power tools are not things necessary for trucks or tools. There are better solutions and applications for both of these issues already and thus need no solving. You dont have to imagine a truck lowering for loading as this is an available feature already on some models.

                People are scoffing at it because its a joke and in no way shape or form will impact the broader truck market. Maybe some tech bros and mad max folks and people that long for the citroen karin and dolorean mashup no one ever asked for. This isnt even a new design as the above folks did it in the 80s, and it flopped then as well.

                I do agree that us not tall folks have difficulty getting stuff out of the bed, for example I have to get my fishing poles out of my friends truck by stepping on the wheel rim, lol, short people problems.
                I'm happy to return to this post in 2025 to review who is right or wrong and in which ways.

                BCBiker prediction: Tesla takes >20% of pickup truck market share and establishes/maintains >60% of electric pickup truck market share in the US before 2025.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by BCBiker View Post

                  I'm happy to return to this post in 2025 to review who is right or wrong and in which ways.

                  BCBiker prediction: Tesla takes >20% of pickup truck market share and establishes/maintains >60% of electric pickup truck market share in the US before 2025.
                  Dont think its fair to pick terms after. They might have >60% of the electric market, as they could be the only entrant, who cares? 20% of the whole market with this design, you realize that would be about 5-600k cybertrucks sold/yr and more than Honda, GMC, and Nissan combined? Only Toyota, Ford, and Chevy sell more than that per year.

                  Tesla made a mistake by catering to fan boys and overlooking the absolutely massive functional market that is coporations, construction, etc....also a price problem as its far cheaper for a business to buy a truck than a regular person (tax wise).

                  Walter White would love it though.

                  Comment


                  • It will be great for those who value being undetectable by radar.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by BCBiker View Post

                      I'm happy to return to this post in 2025 to review who is right or wrong and in which ways.

                      BCBiker prediction: Tesla takes >20% of pickup truck market share and establishes/maintains >60% of electric pickup truck market share in the US before 2025.
                      I'd take the bet that they won't have >20% of the US truck market at the end or 2024. Their car came out in what, 2012? As of the last quarter in 2018 they only had 2% market share in that category. I know many farmers and those working in the oil fields and I know exactly 0 of them would buy or even consider this truck.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Zaphod View Post

                        Dont think its fair to pick terms after. They might have >60% of the electric market, as they could be the only entrant, who cares? 20% of the whole market with this design, you realize that would be about 5-600k cybertrucks sold/yr and more than Honda, GMC, and Nissan combined? Only Toyota, Ford, and Chevy sell more than that per year.

                        Tesla made a mistake by catering to fan boys and overlooking the absolutely massive functional market that is coporations, construction, etc....also a price problem as its far cheaper for a business to buy a truck than a regular person (tax wise).

                        Walter White would love it though.
                        yes

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by CordMcNally View Post

                          I'd take the bet that they won't have >20% of the US truck market at the end or 2024. Their car came out in what, 2012? As of the last quarter in 2018 they only had 2% market share in that category. I know many farmers and those working in the oil fields and I know exactly 0 of them would buy or even consider this truck.
                          Since curse words are now edited, I'm not sure the status of bets on the forum. If I'm wrong, I will buy you a beverage at WCICON 2025.

                          Comment


                          • I think we have a mix of two separate markets, residential (commute) and commercial (work). For the commercial market, this is a non-starter.
                            Short bed or long bed? The sloped design will cut out a ton of options for the truck bed. Then you are into load capacity.
                            This is a residential truck. Carry things home from the garden center or Lowe's. Souped up interiors, flared fenders, jack it up are all "ego looks". Many times the "boss" gets and expensive truck that never leaves the pavement or carries a thing. Boss could drive a BMW or a CRV. It's not a work truck.
                            Accessories are made for "bed size", not by brand. A tool box will fit Class 2A, not Toyota or Ford. It's competitive enough. Tough road to get one for Tesla and another for all other 2A's. Bedliners and roll up covers are the big sellers. Currently, residential and commercial are interchangeable. Not with the sloped profile. Think of common utility like an apartment move. No idea how to tie down a king or queen mattress. Borrowing a pickup would make me nervous. Those holes and standard sizes have a purpose. This competes with SUV's is my take.

                            1 < 6,000 lbs. Light Duty Jeep Wrangler, Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado, GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma, Ford Bronco
                            2 6,001 to 10,000 lbs. Light Duty Class 2A: Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado 1500, GMC Sierra 1500, Toyota Tundra, Ram 1500

                            Class 2B: Ford F-250, Chevy Silverado 2500, GMC Sierra 2500, Ram 2500
                            3 10,001 to 14,000 lbs. Medium Duty Ford F-350, Chevy Silverado 3500, GMC Sierra 3500
                            4 14,001 to 16,000 lbs. Medium Duty Ford F-450, Chevy Silverado 4500, Ram 4500
                            5 16,001 to 19,500 lbs. Medium Duty Ford F-550, Chevy Silverado 5500, Ram 5500
                            6 19,501 to 26,000 lbs. Medium Duty Ford F-650, Chevy Silverado 6500
                            7 26,001 to 33,000 lbs. Heavy Duty Ford F-750, Tow Truck
                            8 > 33,001 lbs. Heavy Duty Dump Truck, Fire Truck, Tour Bus, Cement Mixer, Truck Tractor, Sleeper Cab


                            Comment


                            • I find MMM to be right in the money describing how trucks are used and viewed in society. At least with the vast majority of people I know who use trucks.

                              https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015...say-about-you/

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Lordosis View Post
                                I find MMM to be right in the money describing how trucks are used and viewed in society. At least with the vast majority of people I know who use trucks.

                                https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015...say-about-you/
                                MMM is a grumpy codger. His basic premise is wrong. People dont buy trucks for, neither are they supposed to make them money, though I'd say they still do just the same as cars. Which also, are not bought to make money to justify their purchase, which lets face it, is just a dumb hurdle for the sake of throwing shade.

                                Cars and trucks are bought because they are mostly necessary for daily life, which includes your means of making money, and we do so because we like them for some reason or another. Almost all features nowadays are superfluous and "unnecessary" of course, but we like it. If you want a tesla, so what, you do you, if I want a truck i'll use less than 1% of the time for whatever snobs want to define as 'truck features' I will do it and enjoy myself as someone whines and is unhappy in the world.

                                Cars, almost all of them I would say, and especially in our demographic, are best thought of in their infrequent but still normal use case. Be that 7 seats, hauling, or whatever. If you have 3 kids in your family you can get by with a 2 seater 75%+ of the time as you dont need more than 1 seat for back and forth to work which you use it most frequently for. However it becomes a pita and worthless outside that and any time you want to go somewhere with the family, etc...

                                Same with a truck for the hardware store or any other truck use, and a 7 seater vehicle. They function as that daily and marginal use case need, at essentially zero cost difference. Its free optionality, which is to be cherished.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X