• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Gamma Knives
    Physician

• Gamma Knives
    replied
    As electric cars become more common and the cost of high wattage chargers come down, I anticipate that charging stations will become more ubiquitous. I doubt they will be as common as gas/diesel as home charging exists in a way that home refueling doesn't.

However, if you are buying an electric car now I would make sure the current network meets your needs.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by Nysoz View Post
    Tesla is constantly expanding the charging network. Unfortunately electrify America only exists because of vw diesel gate and I don’t think they’re expanding as much.
    Will charging stations become a commodity business? Gas and diesel is.

Leave a comment:

• Nysoz
    General Surgery

• Nysoz
    replied
    Tesla is constantly expanding the charging network. Unfortunately electrify America only exists because of vw diesel gate and I don’t think they’re expanding as much.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    Family Physician

• Lordosis
    replied
    Originally posted by Kamban View Post

That occurs if you have a non Tesla car and cannot find a fast DC charger. Tesla has an amazing supercharger network that you hardly spend more than 15-30 minutes charging before you are on your way. The horror stories occur with cars using CCS chargers like Audi e-tron and VW ID.* and Kia that are decent cars but the charging network is abysmal
    Yeah I realize the supercharger can fill you up in 30 minutes. But sooner or later there will be a line and Supercharger or no it will take longer then to fill up a tank.

Again this is on the rare occurrence you are on a road trip and need to charge in a busy location. Hopefully the charger network grows in proportion to the EV usage. Just playing devils advocate.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by xraygoggles View Post

Good thing you (& me) live in a place with no hurricanes and perfectly sunny weather daily with flat terrain that you can bike anywhere you like at ease.
    "Remember the Colonial Pipeline!
    Most here have not experienced gas lines."
    Real question, where do Tesla's recharging stations get electricity in the areas impacted by the Colonial Pipeline? Maybe
    Kamban
    Physician
    Kamban might shed some light?
    Seems like the grid might be vulnerable to hacking too. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• xraygoggles
    Physician

• xraygoggles
    replied
    Originally posted by Tim View Post
    Hurricanes and gas shortages are really frustrating.
    Good thing you (& me) live in a place with no hurricanes and perfectly sunny weather daily with flat terrain that you can bike anywhere you like at ease.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    Physician

• Kamban
    replied
    Originally posted by Lordosis View Post

If the 8 hours are spent with it charging in your garage. Not off I-95 at some rest stop
    That occurs if you have a non Tesla car and cannot find a fast DC charger. Tesla has an amazing supercharger network that you hardly spend more than 15-30 minutes charging before you are on your way. The horror stories occur with cars using CCS chargers like Audi e-tron and VW ID.* and Kia that are decent cars but the charging network is abysmal

Leave a comment:

• Nysoz
    General Surgery

• Nysoz
    replied

If the 8 hours are spent with it charging in your garage. Not off I-95 at some rest stop
    Supercharging stops are on average 20 minutes on road trips. If not Tesla, electrify America has some decent chargers too.

Leave a comment:

• burritos
    replied
    Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post

1hour during your free time.
    8hours while you sleep.

Which is more effective?
    ​​​​
    I've only had to fill my leaf once last year outside my home when I went to visit my accountant in downtown. Spent an 1/2 and hour geocaching and got to use some of my Spanish in the early morning.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    Family Physician

• Lordosis
    replied
    Originally posted by StarTrekDoc View Post

8hours while you sleep.

Which is more effective?
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• StarTrekDoc

• StarTrekDoc
    replied

I came across this and thought it was worth sharing.
    8hours while you sleep.

Which is more effective?
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    Physician

• Kamban
    replied
    I was in Costco yesterday and the 12 pumps are at the rear end of the parking lot. When I was leaving at mid day the line to the pumps stretched all the way to the front entrance, bumper to bumper. I had to catch the eye of a driver to give me a gap so that I could get out since I had parked on the other side of the parking lot. I was so glad that I was not one of those drivers, since my Tesla Y was fully charged.

I think the frugal vs cheap thread might apply to those drivers. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Remember the Colonial Pipeline!
    Most here have not experienced gas lines. Hurricanes and gas shortages are really frustrating.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    Family Physician

• Lordosis
    replied

I came across this and thought it was worth sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Lordosis
    Family Physician

• Lordosis
    replied
    I think with modern insulation the effect would be minimal. I have been in the attic on a sunny day and it is 140 degrees but the ceiling of the second floor does not feel warm at all. 15 inches of that blown in insulation is mighty powerful.

Now my old house that was turn of the last century was hot as heck upstairs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X