How to celebrate 1 million net worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to celebrate 1 million net worth?

My wife and I will likely be crossing $1 million in the next few months in our early/mid 30's through a combination of hard work, smart decisions and a little luck. We don't plan on doing anything major (staying true to the principles that got us here), but also want to celebrate the achievement. I was curious what other people on this forum have done to celebrate specific financial milestones.

Day time celebration: plane with a banner behind it stating the accomplishment.

Night time celebration: rent a limo and stand through the moon roof yelling at passing cars about the accomplishment then drive around while eating all you can eat spicy nuggets while having some Zimas.

Comment

We bought a nice bottle of wine after we paid off my student loans (paid off ~300k in one year). It was a huge splurge ($250), but we love wine. We told ourselves, our next wine splurge will be when we pay off our home (we don’t own a home yet, we are still renting )

Comment

I will probably schedule an emergency spreadsheet meeting..... Then we will go about our day

Comment

Originally posted by WorkforFIRE View Post
          We bought a nice bottle of wine after we paid off my student loans (paid off ~300k in one year). It was a huge splurge ($250), but we love wine. We told ourselves, our next wine splurge will be when we pay off our home (we don’t own a home yet, we are still renting )
          Do tell what bottle. Bordeaux?

I told my husband he's allowed to go have custom suits made in London when we reach $1M NW but by then he'll probably be over the whole Peaky Blinders look...

Comment

We are pre- celebrating with a kick ****************** trip to Europe at the end of the year (will probably hit the milestone in early 2021). Sometimes you just have to go big ;-) Seriously though, I've had 2 friends lose pretty young colleagues in the past few months. It made me realize I need a little more balance so we are checking two big thing off our wish list this year.

Comment

Originally posted by mapplebum View Post

Do tell what bottle. Bordeaux?

I told my husband he's allowed to go have custom suits made in London when we reach $1M NW but by then he'll probably be over the whole Peaky Blinders look...
              It was Rubicon

Comment

A vacation. But if you can't, at least a nice dinner with a huge tip.
                Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Didn’t know when we crossed it. We travel a lot as it is, so any one of our trips in late 2018 or early 2019 probably would have been it.

Comment

I put it all on black.

Comment

On a similar (but much less impressive) note, what is an appropriate celebration for you 100k in retirement and 250k net worth? I’m thinking Chick-fil-A? Maybe buy myself some AirPods?

Comment

I didn't notice $1MM. too busy working and still had a lot of mortgage debt.

I like single malt scotch. big milestones justify opening a bottle from the collection.

Comment

I think it was champagne. The cheap kind. Celebrated more when student loans were paid off

Comment

We booked a trip for Europe after we paid off student loans. Not sure what we're gonna do at 1 MM... probably nothing? It's 3 years away (projected), so it's hard to know what I'll be itching for at that point.

Comment

I actually had the same question as OP. I should be submitting my application for the 2 comma club in the next couple of months. I've been trying to decide how/what to do to to "treat" myself.

A day off? Can't, the loss of income for the day will bum me out.

Pizza & Taco Bell in the same day? This is a common thing for me already...Mmmmmmm.

If it was warm weather I'd go sit in the park for a while. I'll probably get ice cream... actually gelato from a (French) bakery near my house. They have this really good hazelnut (Nutella/Ferrero Rocher) flavor, followed by a walk around Home Depot or Costco. Not both... that's for when I hit $2 million.
                              $1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓

Comment

Working...
                              X