No announcement yet.

How to pick a medical specialty - finances vs interest vs lifestyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel that your work environment impacts your lifestyle as much if not more than the specialty you choose. One might love cardiology but if you end up being in a S***y PP group or end up being a hospital employee in a terrible hospital your job satisfaction, lifestyle and pay might be worse than as a rheumatologist or nephrologist in a good group making decent money.

But if one happens to have an open mind and tries to enjoy the job and make it work for him / her, it can lead to a long term good outcome. At least that is what happened to me.

Comment

I was in a similar place, lots of interests but nothing grabbing me hard. For me I also was older with a family in tow… There is a book called  “choosing a medical specialty” which I found and made myself read all the way through even though I had some ideas.  Made me consider anesthesia (hadn’t even thought about it before) and it turned out to be my best match in terms of temperament and skills…check the book out and read it all the way through.
      Click to expand…

Would you mind including a link to the specific text you’re referencing? There are quite a few, at widely different price points, on Amazon and the internet.
      Click to expand…

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Choosing-Medical-Specialty/dp/007141052X

I figured it was the $11 to $34 option. Thanks for the reply.

A 3rd edition is available for anyone who's interested: https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Choosing-Medical-Specialty/dp/0071790276/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

Comment

Ortho question is an easy decision matrix--> Are you a meathead?  Then Ortho. 

Just remember the ROAD to success:  Rads, Ophtho, Anesthesia and Derm, can't go wrong.   

If nothing feels like it's your calling, at least pick one that pays well.  Then, at the very least, you'll have the financial wherewithal to pay off your student loans and go back to residency to change careers if you find out you hate your first choice.

Comment

So this is now SDN ? Ok.

No, this is the White Coat Investor forums. Where med students to physicians to others discuss financial matters.

Comment

Thanks again everyone for the really great advice. I certainly have a lot to think about in the coming months.

Comment

Except it's picking a specialty discussion. But thanks for clarification.

Comment

Except it’s picking a specialty discussion. But thanks for clarification.

You're welcome. And finances is literally in the title of this thread.

Comment

Are you an introvert or extrovert?    If excess face-to-face time with masses of emotional  humanity drain your energy,  then seeing 30-50 patients daily in derm or ER or primary care will suck your soul dry.  If you need  the face-to-face time to charge up your energy,  then avoid rads, anesthesia, and pathology.

Comment

Working...
                  X