Turned down Dental School acceptance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned down Dental School acceptance

I emailed the school to turn down the Dental School acceptance. The total costs including living expenses would have been 420K. I also shadowed a Dentist before making the decision.....I just can't imagine drilling into teeth and performing root canals for the rest of my life....It seemed so boring to me. Plus I am not really a "mechanical" type....I am so creative, imaginative and intellectually curious, why limit myself to something so incredibly boring...I immediately came home and told the admissions officer that I will not be accepting the offer....I have other career options I am exploring right now....

Yawn...
    ?

Comment

Best of luck to you.

As general advice...maybe you should shadow or gain more experience prior to going through any future application processes. Applying for something without any background knowledge of day to day activities seems kind of risky.

Comment

Glad to hear you decided not to go to dental school.  There are too many dentists and not enough rotten teeth.  To celibate, let's order another round of Mountain Dew and put it on honeycomb86's tab.

Comment

Troll poster?

Comment

Glad to hear you decided not to go to dental school.  There are too many dentists and not enough rotten teeth.  To celibate, let’s order another round of Mountain Dew and put it on honeycomb86’s tab.

Dentistry is a good profession....But honestly, I just didn't like it...I would be miserable drilling/filling teeth, performing root canals and crown & bridge work....Life is so short---what if I die tomorrow? When I asked the dentist I was shadowing----he said "a job is a job, all jobs are boring....Dentistry is boring but at least it pays the bills..." I graduated with a top GPA from a top 15 undergraduate school---I can do so many things in life...why should I limit myself to Dentistry.....

Comment

Best of luck to you.

As general advice…maybe you should shadow or gain more experience prior to going through any future application processes. Applying for something without any background knowledge of day to day activities seems kind of risky.

Honestly, I chose Dentistry purely for financial reasons without thinking about whether or not I would like it....I was kind of lost in life at the time and people were telling me "dentists make good money, you should do that"....Then I was admitted to a dental school which would cost me 450K and so I started researching on whether it was actually worth the cost from a truly financial perspective (I suppose if it is your passion you could do Military or work for a community health center, etc)....But the thought of living with almost no income for 10 years for a job I don't care that much, didn't appeal to me....If you could make 450K as a Dentist working for an employer without having to spend an additional 500K to purchase a practice, then yes I would probably pay 450K for dental school even if I didn't find it particularly interesting.....But according to the ADA, the average private practitioner general dentist salary is around 180K---paying 450K for dental school and another 500K for a private practice doesn't seem worth it to me....And dental specialties are super expensive....Unlike in medicine, you have to pay 80K in tuition per year for a residency in Orthodontics, Endodontics, etc....So that's another 300K to complete a specialty program....My friend paid 450K for dental school and then 300K+ for his Orthodontics residency program at Columbia University and then he had a lot of difficulty finding a job, so he moved somewhere in the Midwest (I think Ohio)....He was over 900K in debt without even purchasing a practice....

What's even more sad is that he doesn't even enjoy Dentistry, he only went into it for financial reasons....

Comment

Best of luck to you.

As general advice…maybe you should shadow or gain more experience prior to going through any future application processes. Applying for something without any background knowledge of day to day activities seems kind of risky.

I shadowed prior to applying and didn't like it....But I applied anyway because I didn't know what to do

Comment

There's a lot more to getting into dental school than just applying. It takes more than a whim to get accepted. There is actual required coursework, multiple semesters worth. That tells me that either you were pretty serious about it at some point or you're trolling the forum.

I agree you shouldn't join a profession for predominantly financial reasons.
                  Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
                  X