Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people here are actually happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people here are actually happy?

EDIT

Better to be wealthy and unhappy then poor and unhappy. Seriously, lots of people say theyre unhappy, its not a very good metric. Though more money does correlate with more happiness, but theres obviously a spectrum and limitations.

Most people here seem very happy, I know Im pretty much happiest I've been.

"Money, consumption or achievement"-yes, yes and yes. More often than not. Such is life.

Im not searching for meaning nor care to find it, Im happy with the meaningless existence I have and the ultimately small amount of knowledge of the universe I'll ultimately attain and understand. People in the perpetual search are bound to be unhappy but has zero to do with their SES in life.

The point of wealth is different for different people, for me, its to spend as I see fit at a level I find "good enough".

Sounds like you're the one that needs to do the soul searching. Stop projecting and assuming and figure yourself out. No one elses answer to any of these questions will in the end make a huge difference to you, nor will they necessarily apply. I dont care what any of the other guys here plan to do with their time or wealth, and unless its something cool I simply havent thought of, it doesnt influence what my plans are.

Have a heart to heart with yourself about what you want out of life and then you can start making the plans that make that life a reality.

Comment

I'm not sure what your angle is anymore. You do realize this is a forum that discusses financial matters?

The two are not correlated IMO.

You can be poor and happy / poor and miserable / rich and happy / rich and miserable.

To paraphrase the Wolf of Wall Street, I'll choose rich every bleeping time.

Comment

…..

I’m not sure what your angle is anymore. You do realize this is a forum that discusses financial matters?

You can be poor and happy / poor and miserable / rich and happy / rich and miserable.

To paraphrase the Wolf of Wall Street, I’ll choose rich every bleeping time.

That's good for you!!!! I am glad you were able to achieve whatever you wanted in life! I don't really want to be a Physician, Dentist, MBA, etc....None of those careers fit who I am....I never wanted to be Physician, Dentist, MBA, etc as a child because I didn't value money or status....Maybe money is the most important for you, that's fine....Not sure it is for me...

Comment

Yes, being that this is a finance forum, you're seeing a very concentrated interest in a single topic. However, its in reality a very small part of most of the posters lives and focus overall. Context is appropriate. One of the main points of this site is to set and monitor, not ruminate on it all the time. Those of us here are a super sub set that find it very interesting.

Had you asked if money was important or even in the top 3 for almost anyone on this forum when they were your age we'd almost universally say not at all. Things change and so will your focus and whats deemed important. Once all other things kind of fall into place and have been achieved you naturally turn your gaze to those things you havent been paying attention to.

Money is simply a tool.

Comment

Yes, being that this is a finance forum, you’re seeing a very concentrated interest in a single topic. However, its in reality a very small part of most of the posters lives and focus overall. Context is appropriate. One of the main points of this site is to set and monitor, not ruminate on it all the time. Those of us here are a super sub set that find it very interesting.

Had you asked if money was important or even in the top 3 for almost anyone on this forum when they were your age we’d almost universally say not at all. Things change and so will your focus and whats deemed important. Once all other things kind of fall into place and have been achieved you naturally turn your gaze to those things you havent been paying attention to.

Money is simply a tool.

I agree you need a certain amount of money....But do you need a Physician/Dentist/MBA income to be happy?

Comment

"Im not searching for meaning nor care to find it, Im happy with the meaningless existence I have and the ultimately small amount of knowledge of the universe I’ll ultimately attain and understand. People in the perpetual search are bound to be unhappy but has zero to do with their SES in life....."

That's really sad....There is so much meaning in life...Life is a spiritual journey....It is not meaningless

Comment

Happiness is probably more related to a state of mind.  There are plenty of people in all professions who are happy and unhappy.  As a WCI-minded physician, money is one less thing I have to worry about, but I suspect I would have been happy regardless of my profession.

Also as a hard-worker and industrious student, I suspect I would have also succeeded in other professions.

It is difficult to play "what ifs".  You never know what contacts would have been made and what turns life would have taken.

Work hard. Live beneath your means. Enjoy your friends and family. Spend on experiences ahead of things. Be happy!

Comment

…..

I’m not sure what your angle is anymore. You do realize this is a forum that discusses financial matters?

Click to expand…

That’s good for you!!!! I am glad you were able to achieve whatever you wanted in life! I don’t really want to be a Physician, Dentist, MBA, etc….None of those careers fit who I am….I never wanted to be Physician, Dentist, MBA, etc as a child because I didn’t value money or status….Maybe money is the most important for you, that’s fine….Not sure it is for me…

I think not hanging around a finance forum might be the 1st step towards happiness for you then?

Comment

…..

Click to expand…

That’s good for you!!!! I am glad you were able to achieve whatever you wanted in life! I don’t really want to be a Physician, Dentist, MBA, etc….None of those careers fit who I am….I never wanted to be Physician, Dentist, MBA, etc as a child because I didn’t value money or status….Maybe money is the most important for you, that’s fine….Not sure it is for me…

I do not understand what you are trying to gather from this forum.  You start a thread about deciding on whether 450k for dental school is a smart choice, yet you have no interest in a career in dentistry...so then don't ask.  People put in a lot of time on here trying to help the respective community get their real questions answered.  And you do realize that you don't need to value money or status to want a career as a physician or any health profession?  I hope you find whatever it is you are looking for but I hope no one will continue to indulge you on these forums.

Comment

“Im not searching for meaning nor care to find it, Im happy with the meaningless existence I have and the ultimately small amount of knowledge of the universe I’ll ultimately attain and understand. People in the perpetual search are bound to be unhappy but has zero to do with their SES in life…..”

That’s really sad….There is so much meaning in life…Life is a spiritual journey….It is not meaningless

That was partially tongue in cheek, homage to my avatar...however, life is just life and like meaning is what you make of it. I dont search for meaning because I have more than enough of it, I am content and happy...like the literal opposite of sad.

Meaning is kind of solipsistic anyway isnt it? Your meaning isnt my meaning, which is kind of the point. In the grand scheme of things, like a universal scale, life is pretty meaningless outside of ourselves and what we make of it and believe in.

This is not really the forum for that kind of talk though, and this place keeps pretty well to the vision.

Comment

EDIT

Comment

…..

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I do not understand what you are trying to gather from this forum.  You start a thread about deciding on whether 450k for dental school is a smart choice, yet you have no interest in a career in dentistry…so then don’t ask.  People put in a lot of time on here trying to help the respective community get their real questions answered.  And you do realize that you don’t need to value money or status to want a career as a physician or any health profession?  I hope you find whatever it is you are looking for but I hope no one will continue to indulge you on these forums.

Amen. I am happy. State of mine and no one is happy 100% of the time. I think my life is pretty frickin awesome to be honest.

Comment

As I skied up a mountain today without another person within 5 miles of me, breathing the cold mountain air and taking in the 20 mile views of other 10-11,000 foot peaks, I stopped and thought....I'm really happy right now. Then I arrived at the top after a little over an hour, peeled my skins, put on a couple of jackets and some goggles and carved through the trees in 3 feet of blower powder. I thought, "This would be better with 3 more feet of snow to cover up more of this brush, but otherwise, it's perfect."

So yea, I think I'm happy. Right now I'm sitting in my warm house, watching my 18 month old play with the coolest toy known to man (Playskool ball popper) http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162289366208?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true and listening to my son read a book to his grandmother while my wife prepares dinner. At dinner and afterward at our weekly family get together we're going to discuss which charities we'll be donating to this year.

I hope your day was as good.
                            Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

As I skied up a mountain today without another person within 5 miles of me, breathing the cold mountain air and taking in the 20 mile views of other 10-11,000 foot peaks, I stopped and thought….I’m really happy right now. Then I arrived at the top after a little over an hour, peeled my skins, put on a couple of jackets and some goggles and carved through the trees in 3 feet of blower powder. I thought, “This would be better with 3 more feet of snow to cover up more of this brush, but otherwise, it’s perfect.”

So yea, I think I’m happy. Right now I’m sitting in my warm house, watching my 18 month old play with the coolest toy known to man (Playskool ball popper) http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162289366208?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true and listening to my son read a book to his grandmother while my wife prepares dinner. At dinner and afterward at our weekly family get together we’re going to discuss which charities we’ll be donating to this year.

I hope your day was as good.

LOL, yea sounds like u are living the life

Comment

Working...
                              X