What a doctor strike looks like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a doctor strike looks like

Doctors and nurses are on strike at Burkina Faso's public health centers throughout the West African country, leaving only medical students to help the sick.

In a desperate attempt to save lives, the government has requisitioned army health workers though most patients were still languishing without care.

Souro Sanou, a spokesman for the main hospital in the capital, said one-third of the patients seeking help at the trauma unit left without receiving treatment.

The AFP reported that Syntsha, a powerful union of medical workers, called for the protest.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/11/24/left-to-die-patients-languish-in-burkina-faso-amid-doctors-strike.html

I've always been curious what would actually happen in one of these.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Odd not to mention why all the docs went on strike.

Comment

Yes one would think that would be an obvious thing to report.  Of course it might not fit the fox narrative

Comment

Yes, I'm sure Fox has a very radical Burkina Faso narrative they're pushing...?

Comment

Also relevant: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34775980

Comment

Click to expand…

Yes one would think that would be an obvious thing to report.  Of course it might not fit the fox narrative

The Fox story was essentially pulled from the AP story, with attribution at the bottom.  No "narrative" added.

Comment

I was expecting to see this:

http://i.imgur.com/NwybV9O.jpg

Comment

"leaving the medical students to care for the patients" hmmm. Trying to figure out what I would be able to do to minimize damage. Everyone get's prophylactic broad spectrum antibiotics so I don't miss anything. Refills of what ever medication they say they're taking as long as it fits the disease they say they have. All births are natural. Surgeries are cancelled mostly because I haven't done an anesthesia elective and i wouldn't know which knobs to turn. Everyone with a cough gets lasix. Actually I think we'd be okay.

Comment

Just got back from a week of meetings with physicians from South Sudan.  They haven't been paid by the government in 4 months.  I suspect that the strike in Burkina Faso might be over a similar situation. The private side of health care usually carries on.

Comment

Just got back from a week of meetings with physicians from South Sudan.  They haven’t been paid by the government in 4 months.  I suspect that the strike in Burkina Faso might be over a similar situation. The private side of health care usually carries on.

Wow!

Comment

Working...
                    X