Audio Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio Books

Currently I commute 56 miles to work and am hoping to maximize this time by listening to high quality audio books. However, the last one I listened to left me almost falling asleep at the wheel, so I figured I would reach out for suggestions. What do WCI readers recommend for audio books?

I've been on a kick of survival/crash/expedition stuff recently...Frozen in Time, The Last Season, In the Kingdom of Ice, Astoria, Lights Out, One Second After...makes my latte-sippin, featherbed-sleepin life feel very warm and squishy.  These are books that I would have a hard time sitting down to read, but when someone is reading them to me it goes quite well.

BTW, is that 56 miles each way or round trip?!

Comment

I am presently reading (listening) Chernow's Alexander Hamilton bio, and it's terrific.

Comment

Currently reading David McCullough's Truman. You should also check out the thread What do you read? How do you read it? I am the number 1 cheerleader for Audible. They have started a new service, "Channels", that offers free streaming audiobooks and more to members with some superb content.

Try The Black Widow by Daniel Silvia and you'll be sure to stay awake (in order to look over your shoulder). Many more recommendations since I started the other thread. Five Days at Memorial about the drama at NOLA's Memorial Medical Center and the heroism of the staff in the wake of Katrina is sure to fascinate all on this forum.
        Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I drive 75 miles round trip (2 days a week) and always listen to a book, a podcast or a course. I am very fond of the Teaching Company courses aka The Great Courses, most of which are available either from my local library or interlibrary loan. There are many to choose from, but if anyone is interested, I'd happily make recommendations. I'm a huge reader in general -- ~50-75 books a year, and send out my yearly list of favorites to my online community.
          My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFF...MwBiAAKd5N8qPg

Comment

I too use Audible.  It is awesome.

I also download audio books from my library and I buy CDs from Half Priced Books.

I listen to a lot of topics so there are too many to list here.

Also, remember the PodCast option.  Since there are sometimes practical content and interviews they are engaging and stimulating for many of us:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/topic/podcasts/

Comment

I get books from our public library.  Anything by Atul Guwande or SiddharthaMukherjee.  I like biographies of historical figures as well. I have also enjoyed all of William Bernstein's books.

Comment

56 miles each way.  I appreciate the recommendations.

Comment

Currently reading David McCullough’s Truman. You should also check out the thread What do you read? How do you read it? I am the number 1 cheerleader for Audible. They have started a new service, “Channels”, that offers free streaming audiobooks and more to members with some superb content.

Try The Black Widow by Daniel Silvia and you’ll be sure to stay awake (in order to look over your shoulder). Many more recommendations since I started the other thread. Five Days at Memorial about the drama at NOLA’s Memorial Medical Center and the heroism of the staff in the wake of Katrina is sure to fascinate all on this forum.

Awesome thread! Thank you for sharing.

Comment

I have recently enjoyed a few Star Wars audiobooks  

Not exactly sophisticated reading, but they're fun.

Timothy Zahn, Stackpole probably among the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X