Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, business decisions get made all the time by the players, league, and teams. But come on, a week before the season? That is just a lack of integrity.

Why is it a lack of integrity? Teams cut players at any and all time during the season. It isn't like there was a good quarterback out there they could have gotten that would have made them the contender that Luck did. If anything, it'll help them "Suck for Luck" again to try to get another cornerstone quarterback in the next year or two.

Comment

I haven't followed pro ball for a long time and I have no idea who Andrew Luck is.  But it is interesting to read this thread as a mid-40s, part time physician who works less each year and may exit medicine in the next few years.

I will give a nod to my mentors, school, residency, hospital, group, community, patients (the team and the fans), but ultimately they are just background noise: If more physicians prioritized themselves first, maybe there would be less discontent in the physician lounge and no more articles about the high rate of doctor suicide.

I am happy for that young quarterback.

Comment

There are is chatter among the sports betting community to put money at what age he will come back. Since I am not Andrew Luck and I don't know the true motivation behind this (he may be honest in his opinion today, and he may also be putting a front to the media, who knows), I think its possible. Perhaps he doesn't find the same fulfillment in the game and may never come back. He also has enough early capital to make some great business decisions and come back to football from the sidelines or the executive box. ************************, maybe he can go to med school (there was a radiology resident at Baylor-Houston who played for the Packers and won a Super Bowl prior to medicine).

In terms of integrity... well, maybe he can't get a job washing floors in Indianapolis for a couple years. I'm sure he will be fine otherwise.

Comment

Shame on anyone who booed this decision, especially on a forum where we promote FI.  Thinking that he needs to adjust his timeline to the Colts need's is wrong- he obviously struggled in making this decision, and was in the perfect position to make it. He probably attempted to stick with it as long as possible. He's financially stable, has a good head on his shoulders, and a baby on the way- why should he play one more down and risk more injury, including concussions, paralysis (Dennis Byrd or Ryan Shazer anyone?), future health etc.  I have more respect for him now than if he just stuck around to make more money. We complain that society thinks doctors need to work until we are in our 70s, ignoring our burnout rates and mental health, how is this any different?

Comment

The whole lack of integrity thing is a stretch. He probably really tried to get his heart, mind, and body back into the game before calling it quits. That horrible offensive line will force anyone to retire early.

I just hope the Capt. Andrew Luck twitter account stays active.

Comment

Because there is a social contract whereby a lot of average people pay a relative few very physically talented individuals to play a game.

Social contract, give me a break. Just because a lot of people have no life other than watching football, does not obligate Andrew Luck to sacrifice his body and spirit for one more minute than he desires.

This is like a ridiculous past thread on here claiming that physicians who chose to FIRE are abdicating their obligation to society.

Comment

I acknowledge his right to make the move, but this is more selfish than courageous. Why is he rich? Because there is a social contract whereby a lot of average people pay a relative few very physically talented individuals to play a game. Sure, business decisions get made all the time by the players, league, and teams. But come on, a week before the season? That is just a lack of integrity. There were plenty of better ways to implement the decision that he made. So, good for him. He’s rich and I’m sure he will weather my approbation. On the other hand, I am sure all Baltimore fans are laughing…

Thank you for the get-off-my-lawn, millennials-are-lazy-and-the-worst perspective, with a Baltimore Colts allusion thrown in for good measure.

Comment

FI/RE. That’s why this place is about. Good for him if he sticks to it. Lots of opportunities. Estimates are he’s walking away from 400 mil.

Howevah I feel that he will be on patriots in two to three years.

Comment

Smart move by him. Timing is odd, but the ankle injury may have been the straw that broke the camel’s back. Also, he spoke pretty in depth about his lack of self worth when he was out of football in 2017 and that he was in a dark place, which was concerning. Hopefully he’s in a good spot now.

Having said that, I’m pi**ed that I won’t be able to watch him for another ten years, he’s really an amazing talent.

Comment

Yeah really. Being pissed at him for quitting is the same as expecting physicians to work until they cannot. Sometimes it is good to go out on a high note.

Comment

He doesn’t owe the franchise anything. You got to look out for your best interests, who cares about the fans or some stupid NFL team franchise who only cares about winning and making more money.

Comment

It certainly isn’t about the money. He could have “rehabbed” all year and still made over $18M.

Comment

I acknowledge his right to make the move, but this is more selfish than courageous. Why is he rich? Because there is a social contract whereby a lot of average people pay a relative few very physically talented individuals to play a game. Sure, business decisions get made all the time by the players, league, and teams. But come on, a week before the season? That is just a lack of integrity. There were plenty of better ways to implement the decision that he made. So, good for him. He’s rich and I’m sure he will weather my approbation. On the other hand, I am sure all Baltimore fans are laughing…

"Lack of intergrity" is a hilarious criticism if you put even a little thought into it.

It would have been incredibly easy for him to just play up the injury, go on Injured Reserve, and get paid millions of dollars this season to do virtually nothing.  Then he retires next year.

Telling the Colts now forfeits millions that he could have easily received if he had chosen a different approach.  "Lack of integrity" is about the least accurate way to describe his actions that I could possibly imagine.

EDIT: I see that Cord beat me to it.

Comment

Click to expand…

Thank you for the get-off-my-lawn, millennials-are-lazy-and-the-worst perspective, with a Baltimore Colts allusion thrown in for good measure.

Lighten up, friend. It’s a forum. That means people express opinions.

Comment

It certainly isn’t about the money. He could have “rehabbed” all year and still made over $18M.

For AR and CordMcNally both, I never said it was about his money. The lack of integrity was a reference to how he went about quitting. If he was so darn mentally worn down he should have quit at the end of last season and given the team time to adjust. The guy signed a five year deal. Can he quit? Sure, the contract allows that. But I for one see a lack of integrity in shafting a team that made him a decamillionaire.

Comment

Working...
                                X