Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peds
    replied

Others have mentioned ability to lug kids around.  Perhaps a bigger concern — are any of your kids boys?  Will it be completely off-limits and will you/they be able to abide by that?  Even for exceptional circumstances (i.e. prom)?  Just to be a devil’s advocate
    Click to expand…

Good question!  I don’t know.  My kids are girls and the eldest is 15 so I have a little bit of time to figure this out.  The first step is to ensure all of them can drive manuals…

Good man.

Leave a comment:

• DCdoc
    replied
    Or strategically unable to drive manuals? ?

Leave a comment:

• GXA
    replied

Others have mentioned ability to lug kids around.  Perhaps a bigger concern — are any of your kids boys?  Will it be completely off-limits and will you/they be able to abide by that?  Even for exceptional circumstances (i.e. prom)?  Just to be a devil’s advocate

Good question!  I don't know.  My kids are girls and the eldest is 15 so I have a little bit of time to figure this out.  The first step is to ensure all of them can drive manuals...

Leave a comment:

• Marko-ER
    replied
    Others have mentioned ability to lug kids around.  Perhaps a bigger concern -- are any of your kids boys?  Will it be completely off-limits and will you/they be able to abide by that?  Even for exceptional circumstances (i.e. prom)?  Just to be a devil's advocate

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Curious:
    GXA quit 2 weeks ago.
    GXA pops for a vette.
    GXA has kids and plans to work 9 years.

Experience vs ownership:
    The comments regarding taking the performance car track training and experience courses a wonderful suggestion. Performance cars on the street are tempting.
    No Heat Intended:
    You have earned it and can afford it. When ever I get the car bug (or other urge), I drive it explore it and then hit the pause button for 30 days. Amazing how many things I needed and deserved didn’t survive for a month.
    Maybe this was planned.
    Boy Toys and Midlife:
    The comment about getting in and out humorously suggests you are entering a new phase. Not a darn thing wrong with that either. I’m sure you can deal with it.

A friend bout 3 performance cars. One was a Viper. He didn’t take the performance track training route but had the car bug. Changed my attitude with one mistake, a lot more conservative now. It’s not the same but I think of performance cars on the street as similar to motorcycles. Fun, adrenaline rush that needs skills and experience. Driving on the street might not be the best place to enjoy them. A track or road race hobby might be a better venue than commuting or the street. Mostly to avoid other drivers.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied
    Curious:
    GXA quit 2 weeks ago.
    GXA pops for a better.
    GXA has kids and plans to work 9 years.

Experience vs ownership:
    The comments regarding taking the performance car track training and experience courses a wonderful suggestion. Performance cars on the street are tempting.
    No Heat Intended:
    You have earned it and can afford it. When ever I get the car bug (or other urge), I drive it explore it and then hit the pause button for 30 days. Amazing how many things I needed and deserved didn’t survive for a month.
    Maybe this was planned.
    Boy Toys and Midlife:
    The comment about getting in and out humorously suggests you are entering a new phase. Not a darn thing wrong with that either. I’m sure you can deal with it.

A friend bout 3 performance cars. One was a Viper. He didn’t take the performance track training route but had the car bug. Changed my attitude with one mistake, a lot more conservative now. It’s not the same but I think of performance cars on the street as similar to motorcycles. Fun, adrenaline rush that needs skills and experience. Driving on the street might not be the best place to enjoy them. A track or road race hobby might be a better venue than commuting or the street. Mostly to avoid other drivers.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied
    So glad you resurrected this thread, @peds! The big WTH?!? moment I had reading the first post was hilarious, knowing it was from @GXA who has been simultaneously posting about dissatisfaction at work. Then I saw that I had aready commented and thought to look at the date - lot can happen in 2 short years. :lol: ...

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied

Costing me an extra $200 every six months for insurance (will actually be less as I can suspend for three winter months it wont be driven).  It is actually the most fuel efficient vehicle we own – the sticker reports 17/29.  I have been getting about 23 miles per gallon with mixed city/highway driving while mashing on the accelerator…

Now you have more time to drive it!

Leave a comment:

• GXA
    replied
    Costing me an extra $200 every six months for insurance (will actually be less as I can suspend for three winter months it wont be driven).  It is actually the most fuel efficient vehicle we own - the sticker reports 17/29.  I have been getting about 23 miles per gallon with mixed city/highway driving while mashing on the accelerator...

Leave a comment:

• DMFA
    replied
    Ze Germans are better imo...AMG and 911 kill it.  But you do have to love the concept of good old American muscle...'Murica!

Leave a comment:

• VagabondMD
    replied

It’s your money, you earned it, and you can do whatever you want with it. I have never been a fan of the Corvette personally, and I am concerned about the ability to drive your children around in it. Is the seating adequate?

2. I do not enjoy spending the the additional money after purchase required to keep a nice car–higher insurance rate, higher personal property tax, more money for gas, more time/money washing the car, etc.

4. Yes, I would rather have the $50k in the bank and the Prius in the driveway.
    Click to expand…

You can fit at least two kids under the rear glass.   ?

Seriously though, insurance and gas is actually pretty cheap on a Corvette.

And depending on how each car is optioned, there might only be a delta of $20-$25k between a Prius and a Corvette.   ?

If I traded in my 2011 Prius for a 2016 Corvette, my auto insurance rate attributable to the vehicle would at least triple (I have a 17 year old son who drives), my personal property tax for the car would quadruple, and my gas costs (which are minuscule) would double (but still be insignificant compared to these other expenses). Repair costs would be higher, and I would spend more time and money washing the car. My anxiety about parking would quintuple and my scratch/hail stress would go up infinitely (since I currently do not care about either). No, thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Craigy
    replied

It’s your money, you earned it, and you can do whatever you want with it. I have never been a fan of the Corvette personally, and I am concerned about the ability to drive your children around in it. Is the seating adequate?

2. I do not enjoy spending the the additional money after purchase required to keep a nice car–higher insurance rate, higher personal property tax, more money for gas, more time/money washing the car, etc.

4. Yes, I would rather have the $50k in the bank and the Prius in the driveway.

You can fit at least two kids under the rear glass.   :lol:

Seriously though, insurance and gas is actually pretty cheap on a Corvette.

And depending on how each car is optioned, there might only be a delta of $20-$25k between a Prius and a Corvette.   

Leave a comment:

• Craigy
    replied
    Congrats!

You're a physician, relatively speaking, a Corvette is a sensible choice.   8-)

Just don't spend too much on the Corvette accessory gold chain, hair plugs, cigars and ex-wives and you should do okay money wise.     :lol:  

Leave a comment:

• The White Coat Investor
    replied

I do worry a little about scratches and will try to park it away from others –
    Click to expand…

The day I am the most upset, and the day I have the most relief with a new car, is the same – when I have the first scratch / dent / ding. I than don’t have to worry about future scratches and dings and don’t bother repairing it since I run my cars till the die or be given away.

I know how you feel. My wife scraped up the front bumper on a rock at like 1000 miles! She reminded me that I did the same on the back bumper of our old Sequoia, but that was after we owned it a couple of years and it had 70,000! Either way, I'll be honest, I don't really care much. I didn't buy it to impress anyone.

Leave a comment:

• Kamban
    replied

I do worry a little about scratches and will try to park it away from others –

The day I am the most upset, and the day I have the most relief with a new car, is the same - when I have the first scratch / dent / ding. I than don't have to worry about future scratches and dings and don't bother repairing it since I run my cars till the die or be given away.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X