Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is your specialty indicative of your political affiliation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your specialty indicative of your political affiliation?

Just curious - interesting poll

Margot Sanger-Katz's original article - do you agree? Do doctors in higher-paying specialties trend Republican and vice versa?

Surgeons are Red, Psychiatrists are Blue - comments by Barry Ritholtz.
    Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

The older I get, the more I see the D vs R party line really limiting.

I am relatively socially liberal/moderate, but becoming more fiscally conservative. I def do not agree with the conservative republicans on their social stances.

I am currently registered as democrat. I've already mailed in my mail in ballot for the election.

Comment

I would absolutely have expected this.  And, it confirms what I knew to be the case... that I am a political outcast among my peers.

Comment

Very socially liberal, I dont know that Im fiscally conservative because that usually just means you dont want to be taxed and I'd cut money from programs most of them wont touch. If there were a more rational nuanced party that looked at each issue as an individual thing and did what made the most good long term on balance in light of the unintended but expected consequences that would be what I would go for. Probably wouldnt have any snappy one liners though and be doomed in an election.

I dont feel like either represent me, and agree the lines are very arbitrary and serve to force people one way or the other. Right now theyre both so polarized and trying so hard to differentiate themselves they both seem crazy. Sure am hoping it changes soon.

Comment

The surgeon's lounge for some reason is always tuned to Fox News...

I remember in training an older, very politically conservative surgeon admitting to me, "Democrats want to tax away your paycheck, but don't forget Republicans don't want to fund healthcare to ensure you get a decent one."  Some exaggeration, but with a sliver of truth in there.

Comment

It may have more to do with income than profession.  Higher earners often tend to be more fiscally conservative.  We want to keep more of what we have or at least control who or what enterprises we support.

California has a proposition to continue the higher tax rate on incomes that are $250K or greater.  Most people will probably vote yes, as they aren't the ones paying the tax.  The income threshold is above my level, but I'll be voting no.

Taxed Enough Already.   :O)
            Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary. -- Isaiah 40:31

Comment

Yep, I'm a psychiatrist and a dirty liberal. The more money I make, the more I think I (and other high earners) should be taxed. I believe in a social safety network and am willing to fund it.

Comment

I attended a meeting of the leadership for emergency medicine (ACEP Council) during the last presidential election.  As a prelude to the "real" voting, a number of polls were taken of the 400+ docs.  The results were truly fascinating, one in particular:  If you had to choose between Romney or Obama, which?--50%, 50%.

Obviously, 50% of the docs there were crazy.

Comment

I attended a meeting of the leadership for emergency medicine (ACEP Council) during the last presidential election.  As a prelude to the “real” voting, a number of polls were taken of the 400+ docs.  The results were truly fascinating, one in particular:  If you had to choose between Romney or Obama, which?–50%, 50%.

Obviously, 50% of the docs there were crazy.

That drives ME crazy.
                  Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Socially liberal but fiscal conservative

Comment

Urologists are 62% Republican. Bunch of dicks...

(only joking, no declaration of ideas or slight against urology or republicans)

Comment

Urologists are 62% Republican. Bunch of dicks…

(only joking, no declaration of ideas or slight against urology or republicans)

Ouch!

Comment

Interesting article!!  Not surprising though as it pretty much traces income by specialty.

Among my friends, the ones who chose psych, peds, internal medicine drift pretty heavily liberal, while everyone else seems quite conservative.

Comment

Yep, I’m a psychiatrist and a dirty liberal. The more money I make, the more I think I (and other high earners) should be taxed. I believe in a social safety network and am willing to fund it.

Nothing preventing you from donating more to charity, or simply writing a bigger check to the treasury  

Comment

Yep, I’m a psychiatrist and a dirty liberal. The more money I make, the more I think I (and other high earners) should be taxed. I believe in a social safety network and am willing to fund it.
                              Click to expand…

Nothing preventing you from donating more to charity, or simply writing a bigger check to the treasury  ?

100% this.  Write Uncle Sam an extra check if you want.  They'll take it and leave my money alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X