This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccines

I won a small battle today and convinced a resistant family to vaccinate!

Unfortunately according to what I read online we are not winning the war.

<iframe width='480' height='290' scrolling='no' src='https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/c/embed/7f40be3e-5fdb-4b73-8f88-95a7e5a13121' frameborder='0' webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was curious to those of you who see kids.  Do you have a policy about vaccinations or is it per physician?  I know some places will not see families who choose not to vaccinate.  I had my reservations about this in the past.  Now I have a newborn who will not be vaccinated to measles for many months from now. There is an outbreak in the next county and I might be changing my tune.  Especially since my kids come to see a provider in my office.  I feel this is something I should control.

I saw a patient recently whose husband has an HPV caused tongue cancer.  She vaccinated her boys but is reluctant to vaccinate her daughter.  Go Figure?

Comment

I saw a patient recently whose husband has an HPV caused tongue cancer. She vaccinated her boys but is reluctant to vaccinate her daughter. Go Figure?

That is sad, considering that her daughter might benefit far more from reduced risk of cervical cancer compared to the much less reduced risk of oral cancer in the boys.

Comment

I saw a patient recently whose husband has an HPV caused tongue cancer.  She vaccinated her boys but is reluctant to vaccinate her daughter.  Go Figure?

I cannot even hazard a guess as to why she would vaccinate the boys over the girl.  That makes no sense.

Comment

As an ER guy, I'm not in your world.  However, I thought I'd share an anecdote.

I found out a few years ago, that among the nurses, there was/is good sport in shunting the non-vaccinated febrile peds charts to me...apparently they enjoy the "we're torturing your baby today because of your decision/apathy/laziness/neglect" discussion that ensues.

Keeping this relevant to a financial forum, it is good for business (changes that level 3 chart to a level 4).

Comment

I won a small battle today and convinced a resistant family to vaccinate!

keep up the good fight!

Do you have a policy about vaccinations or is it per physician?

my old group did not. my new group does.

its still problematic (MMR, VZV not required until 2yo for example)

I know some places will not see families who choose not to vaccinate

i hope to someday see all places do that.

I feel this is something I should control.

yes as much as you can.

Comment

Click to expand…

I cannot even hazard a guess as to why she would vaccinate the boys over the girl.  That makes no sense.

Because she sees male HPV cancer.  If she had a history of cervical cancer she'd vaccinate the girls too.  Maybe someone needs to tell her that her husband got it from her (or another oral sex partner).  Stupid, I agree.  But probably why.

Comment

The anti-vaxxer campaign just blows my mind. There are certain things that make me lose faith in humanity and that's one of them. Sometimes humans can't get out of their own way.

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time that male and female children were treated differently with regards to issues that parents thought to be related to sex.

Comment

Another reason why parents don't give their kids the HPV shot is because they worry the kids will galivant about and have sex willy nilly thinking they are now "protected" after getting the HPV shot.  The parents don't want to encourage sex, so they say no to the HPV shot.

Also, society still thinks it is OK for boys to have sex but not girls, so I think that is the reason why those parents gave their sons and not their daughter the HPV shot.

I was able to get many parents to change their mind when I mentioned my daughter got the HPV shot.

Edited to add:  Anne and I posted at the same time!

Comment

Didnt this last topic mysteriously disappear? Must have gotten wild and closed/deleted.

Everyone wants to pretend their kids wont have sex for some reason, with predictable results. Best to just be prepared than ignorant.

Comment

WCI indicated his mailbox blows up sometimes when the “anti-vaxxer campaign” is discussed.
                        Sex is no problem, vaccines might be the trigger.

Comment

Peds. I don't "fire" antivaxxing families because I work in an underserved area and I don't want to drive those families even deeper underground (or into the arms of one of the kooky alterna-groovy practitioners we have around here).  There is a chickenpox outbreak nearby so we are seeing lots of kids who have been barred from going to school until they get cleared.  If there was a measles outbreak I'm not sure how we would handle it - I sure as heck wouldn't let them sit in my waiting room.

I do talk to these families, ad nauseum, about vaccines, at every single visit. Most of them end up leaving my practice because I annoy them so much .

Comment

That was my prior MO but I think I am going to push for a minimum standard of vaccination for our office.

Comment

We live in the most fortunate amazing country. Why are so many people so dumb? One of the only free lunches in medicine. Honestly, it is child abuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X