Improper Use of PAs - Whistleblower radiology lawsuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improper Use of PAs - Whistleblower radiology lawsuit

https://www.wcpo.com/news/i-team/whistleblower-lawsuit-accuses-proscan-of-fraud-misdiagnosing-patient-mris

Dude.

I almost hope there are some exculpatory details missing from that story, bc the way it reads it sounds like some people need to go to jail for the rest of their lives.

Would be very curious to see how discovery plays out about how PAs were hired and trained. I mean you'd pretty much as a PA need to just be willing to sign up for a scam.

Comment

some of that is certainly sensationalized - they very well may have PAs or RAs dictating but hopefully and likely they have radiologists staffing much like happens in an academic center, where residents and fellows read cases and are "staffed out" with final report signature (and responsibility) by staff. I would say having PAs or RAs prelim read any films would be unusual in my limited experience.

That's a lot of volume but not impossible for an efficient teleradiology shop.

Also the part where a normal vein was "mistaken" for a spinal tumor is actually not uncommon, where a prominent vessel flow void or CSF flow artifact produces a false positive.

The spinal injury miss sounds serious but show me a radiologist who's never missed a serious even life threatening finding. We all remember our bad misses.

If I had to bet, this goes nowhere.

Comment

I'd like to read the actual lawsuit if anyone can find it

Comment

Doesn't matter if this goes nowhere...eventually.  Would you hire them to read your scans right now?

Comment

I doubt the person has multiple life threatening spine findings and someone called it normal, that would seem very strange. Maybe they missed a bunch of protrusions or narrowing, I doubt they're calling something with an epidural abscess normal

and jaco the complaint is that it wasn't like an academic center where the attendings reviews the cases, the allegation is they were blanket signed,.

Comment

If these are all freestanding centers then they're not going to be scanning ED patients. Yes we see strokes on outpatient MRs rarely but by sheer number the amount of scans which have a possible life threatening abnormality but the patient is out in the wild and being scanned as an outpatient is very small

Comment

Doesn’t matter if this goes nowhere…eventually.  Would you hire them to read your scans right now?

An Ortho group buys the cheapest possible magnet to scan their patients, contracts with ProScan (or some other crappy tele group) at rates less than the professional fee, bills globally and profits big time.

Who cares if they're using PAs? Who cares what the radiologist or PA says on the report? I'm not going to read it anyway. I've already made up my mind on what I'm gonna do.

We have an MRI, we gotta pay for it (and my vacation properties).

Comment

Doesn’t matter if this goes nowhere…eventually.  Would you hire them to read your scans right now?
                  Click to expand…

An Ortho group buys the cheapest possible magnet to scan their patients, contracts with ProScan (or some other crappy tele group) at rates less than the professional fee, bills globally and profits big time.

Who cares if they’re using PAs? Who cares what the radiologist or PA says on the report? I’m not going to read it anyway. I’ve already made up my mind on what I’m gonna do.

We have an MRI, we gotta pay for it (and my vacation properties).

Well for people who care about practicing good medicine it matters.  Why contract out at all if it makes no difference?  If you are required to then I'd highlight a few things.  The radiology company is supposed to be executing a job to the best of their ability, regardless of if you look at the scan or not.  Second, you're not perfect.  And neither are they.  You'll miss things, and they will.  Y'all are human.  And when the day comes that you miss something it would be ideal to consult the read of the person who is specifically trained to do that job so the patient can receive the ideal care.

Comment

and jaco the complaint is that it wasn’t like an academic center where the attendings reviews the cases, the allegation is they were blanket signed,.

I get what the complaint and allegation is, that's why I said "hopefully and likely they have radiologists staffing".

I'm not in a position to hire them. They're my competition. There's lots of low quality teleradiology out there, it's surprising what some referring docs, hospitals, and imaging centers will tolerate. Sadly, those referrers and patients often don't know any better.

An Ortho group buys the cheapest possible magnet... Who cares if they’re using PAs?...

this hasn't been my limited experience; to the contrary, ortho docs often are the most demanding for high quality reads

Pomeranz who's the head of Proscan is a super intelligent doc.

Comment

If the United States sues you (even if it's by proxy of whistelblowers), things don't tend to go well. The burden of proof needed for the most powerful country in the world to sue a small (relative to the other issues the country has) radiology company must be overwhelming.

Comment

Is there a program that trains PAs to read diagnsotics?

The only legitimate use of PAs I've seen is doing the barium studies and some light IR procedures.

Comment

You mean two weeks of shadowing doesn’t make them experts ?

Comment

There are radiology assistants and radiology trained physician assistants. We had a former at my training institution and the latter at the current practice. They mostly do diagnostic fluoro and some light IR (nephrostograms with access already there, GJ exchanges). The two I worked with are very good at what they do.

They aren't trained to do what we do. They'll admit that.

I hope this practice goes down. It's bad for radiologists, bad for medicine, bad for patients.

Comment

As a non radiologist, I think the field is ripe for innovation. With increasing detailed scans, it’s no wonder someone could miss something having to go through hundreds of slices of images, irrespective of their level of training. I am looking forward to the day when someone develops an ai to read everything and put an arrow next to the abnormality for the radiologist to confirm. Not sure why it hasn’t been invented/widely implemented yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X