How to block robocalls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to block robocalls?

It seems that there is an endless amount of robocalls coming to my cell phone - usually several per day. I always block the number after it goes through and never pick up the phone for a number I don't recognized, but was wondering if anybody else found good suggestions for reducing/stopping the influx of calls. A quick google search showed there are some 3rd party apps and services that are supposed to help, but I haven't tried any of them out yet. Any suggestions/services that people have found to be effective?

I would vote for any politician who has a solution to this problem.

I am so tired of hearing from Jane about my business line of credit.  And Sarah from credit card services.  At least give me a real person I can yell at!

https://youtu.be/hllDWSbuDsQ

Comment

Lordosis chances are you already have:

https://www.collins.senate.gov/newsroom/senate-passes-bill-co-sponsored-collins-king-crack-down-illegal-robocalls

Comment

I have the same issue. Some days seem especially terrible. I thought I read an article that the government is supposed to be cracking down more on them but we shall see. I never answer any call unless I specifically know the person.

Comment

Prevention is the best cure. If you are an owner or contractor, register your corp with a fake number (or change to a fake next time you renew).

It's not like the state govt you register with ever calls you anyways, your address is correct for tax info and corp renewal forms, and your accountant and ppl who matter have your real number. In the event of a serious matter where they call the fake number due to the registry having that, they'd just mail or email you something anyways. No big deal.

I also have learned to give fake number at the gym, grocery, magazines, oil change, etc etc. Almost anything with a renewal or future recursion purchase potential will try to call and text you marketing stuff these days (esp if the sales people are commissioned). It's just my way of saying "don't call me, I'll call you." You still get some spam email and mailings, but that is less disruptive... at least they aren't calling or selling your real # if they don't have it.

Comment

I keep putting them on the block list on the iPhone. Don't answer, don't call back. If you call back, they acknowledge it as a real person and will not let you breathe. Just keep ignoring and the wave will pass in my experience.

Sometimes, if I am not doing anything meaningful, I speak with the machine for usually 30 seconds and when they feel that I've fallen for a bait, they transfer me to a real person. I keep spamming them and it is very much fun. I have spoken with social security administration about my retirement benefits, I have spoken with IRS and also with some Lab24 company that was giving me free genetic testing to detect "all cancers". It feels gratifying to waste the spammer's time for 15-20 min. I think I will make a youtube videos, there are several out there and many of them are really entertaining.

Comment

Semi-related: there’s a Reddit dedicated to scambaiting and I love it. Last year, my co-fellow and I would troll these calls late in the afternoon when our work was done. It was fantastic

Comment

@ENTdoc. Who was the 1 jerk to vote against?

Comment

For my personal cell, I've used Hiya (app on Android) for the last four years or so. Seems to do a decent job, but it used to also ID all calls back when it was the white pages app and now that's a premium feature.

I'll second what ICB said - don't give out your real number without a fight. All it takes is one place selling that info and you're now on the call list for everyone. I use a Google voice number as the contact for all my businesses. Takes care of 99.9% of all spam and still transcribes to email the legit calls from customers. May be something to think about.
                  I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

I am always afraid to use a blocking app because I use my cell for call.  People seem to always find new numbers at the hospital to call me from and I cannot account for them all.  I would hate to miss a critical call.

Comment

I am always afraid to use a blocking app because I use my cell for call.  People seem to always find new numbers at the hospital to call me from and I cannot account for them all.  I would hate to miss a critical call.

Valid concern and one I had as well ( for personal reasons, not call :P ).

Hiya (not sure about the others) doesn't automatically block the calls unless they've already been flagged by me for blocking.  What it does do is pop up a "This is a telemarketer", "This is a fraud" alert when the number calls.  That allows me to quickly ignore the call.  Was a happy middle ground for me.
                      I should have been a pair of ragged claws. Scuttling across the floors of silent seas.

Comment

Working...
                      X