Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENT Doc
    replied
    Hatton, that’s pretty funny. That’s where we vacationed for years and is where my father would like to have everyone come back to next Summer. He deserves it. Screw it! :-)

Leave a comment:

• WorkingToFish
    replied
    My parents are at this point in their lives. My dad recently retired from a long, stressful, yet lucrative career (not in medicine) that has enabled him to take our family on big trips, essentially all expenses paid for. Last year we went to Disney and had the time of our lives with all the kids running around like maniacs in a huge house and at all the Disney parks. To be totally cliche, it was magical to see the happiness on my parents faces to know they were able to provide an experience their children and grandchildren will never forget. And for that reason, I look forward to doing the same when I am at their point in my life.

Thanks for sharing this!

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied
    My Dad rented a house for a couple of years in Duck, NC on the outer banks.  Looks similar.  Great time with my 2 brothers and their kids all in the same house.

Leave a comment:

• trebizond
    replied
    Concur on both Charleston and the general principles you lay out. I will say I have never regretted any vacation taken in nature, especially with my other family members. Sunrise at Acadia, the redwood forests, the waterfalls of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Yosemite, etc. all unforgettable and worth every penny.

Leave a comment:

• ENT Doc
    replied
    Nice house. Timely post. Trying to arrange a week in NC next year with family who I haven’t vacationed with all together in nearly 2 decades. Rental price was high, but the opportunity cost was much, much higher. Sometimes you just have to say screw it and not be a slave to your income.

Leave a comment:

• q-school
    replied
    Have fun! You picked a great place to start a new family tradition.

Leave a comment:

• jfoxcpacfp
    started a topic Charleston, SC - My Screw It experience

Charleston, SC - My Screw It experience

Am finally on my Screw it - time to spend vacation with the next 2 generations. It is even better than I expected - probably the best beach property available in Charleston, SC (sitting on Folly Beach with a private boardwalk leading directly to the sand). This house (linking in case anyone else plans a family trip to this area in the future) has 3 stories, both families have their own floor with mine in the middle. All rooms face the ocean. Kids are ecstatic. I am sitting here listening to little feet patter around on the floor above me and hearing little baby squeaks from the floor below as I sit propped up in bed watching people dog-walking and exercising on the (for now) lonely beach. It is lovely and peaceful.

It ain’t cheap. When I count up the costs, it will be at least $15k for only 1 week out of my life. It will be worth it - I’m already thinking about reserving the house for this time next year so the kids and all the cousins will have the delicious anticipation of talking about it and planning for next time. We’ll see when we get closer to the end of the week (we just arrived yesterday). But I just wanted to share - I already know our “screw it” experience is well worth the cost. We won’t have anything tangible to go home to, but we will have something better that won’t rust, or be outgrown, or become a spending regret.

Writing this to encourage those of you who can afford to screw it on a family experience who are holding back - imagine yourself looking back over your life with a huge net worth that you wish you had enjoyed more while you had the time to do it. Don’t spend frivolously and without purpose, of course, but with consideration of what is important each day on this journey of life. This is not a round trip, my friends. If you can’t afford it now, this is the reason you are working so hard. Keep that in mind on the tough days and plan for your future Screw It.
Working...
X