Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does the tooth fairy give your kids per tooth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew for awhile but my parents didn't "come out" and tell me santa didn't exist until I was 14! My brother was 11 which might have explained why they took so long to tell us. If you have more than 2 kids how do you tell the older ones when they are, say, 10, if you have young kids who are 5 or 6? I don't think you can trust the older ones to keep their mouths shut

Comment

I knew for awhile but my parents didn’t “come out” and tell me santa didn’t exist until I was 14! My brother was 11 which might have explained why they took so long to tell us. If you have more than 2 kids how do you tell the older ones when they are, say, 10, if you have young kids who are 5 or 6? I don’t think you can trust the older ones to keep their mouths shut

we did tell the older one (5 year gap) to keep his mouth shut and he did.

it's the friends you have to watch.  always some blabber mouth.

Comment

"Okay okay Santa is not real, but if you tell your brother he is getting your presents."

That worked for me when I was a kid.

Comment

My oldest gets nothing, which is what he deserves!

It's amazing how much an older shares with younger sibling. You might have to resort to a "Confidentiality Agreement" with a negotiated payment. On the other hand, positive rewards might motivate the kid to keep using his brain. No reason to "punish" for using the brain, purely counter productive. One time bonus, but keep it quiet.

Comment

I remember a group of us in 6th grade bursting the bubble of one of our classmates who still believed in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, AND the Easter bunny. She didn’t believe us and then she cried. I still feel a little guilty about it, but it was time…we were all 12-13

I still get ribbed about believing in Santa Claus at 12. I would find a way to let the kid know just not to be humiliated by friends, younger siblings, and anyone else who hears the story at a gathering. When my younger sister brings it up (I’m 62), I still feel like a dummy. From one who has been there, better to get it over with than inflict a lifetime of shaming?. Regardless, my sister is still my best friend.
            Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I remember a group of us in 6th grade bursting the bubble of one of our classmates who still believed in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy, AND the Easter bunny. She didn’t believe us and then she cried. I still feel a little guilty about it, but it was time…we were all 12-13
              Click to expand…

I still get ribbed about believing in Santa Claus at 12. I would find a way to let the kid know just not to be humiliated by friends, younger siblings, and anyone else who hears the story at a gathering. When my younger sister brings it up (I’m 62), I still feel like a dummy. From one who has been there, better to get it over with than inflict a lifetime of shaming?. Regardless, my sister is still my best friend.

So who ultimately told you?

Yeah, sorry to be that kid (or one of those kids--it was a group intervention).  We felt really bad when she started crying.  Her mom was mad at us too.  She was an only child of very protective and indulgent (in my young opinion at the time) parents.   Better in 6th grade than in 7th--7th graders are the cruelest!

Comment

Click to expand…

I still get ribbed about believing in Santa Claus at 12. I would find a way to let the kid know just not to be humiliated by friends, younger siblings, and anyone else who hears the story at a gathering. When my younger sister brings it up (I’m 62), I still feel like a dummy. From one who has been there, better to get it over with than inflict a lifetime of shaming. Regardless, my sister is still my best friend.
                Click to expand…

So who ultimately told you?

Yeah, sorry to be that kid (or one of those kids–it was a group intervention).  We felt really bad when she started crying.  Her mom was mad at us too.  She was an only child of very protective and indulgent (in my young opinion at the time) parents.   Better in 6th grade than in 7th–7th graders are the cruelest!

My “little” sister lol. She’s the best, has taught me a lot about life in general, being open to new ideas and situations (she and her wife are amazing and I love them dearly) and just, in general, helping me grow as a person. We disagree on politics and crap like that but we both have mellowed and realize that it’s ok and actually a way to grow - that people don’t have to agree to to have discussions and to care deeply about each other, but to accept that their position is not necessarily the only truth. Yes, there are some black and whites, but there are many more in-betweens than I was willing to absorb when I was was at the early stage of maturation.

More than you asked. Might be the wine ?.
                Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I remember it being unbelievable at around 6. Still like the presents but had no illusion where the presents were coming from.

Comment

We never did the tooth fairy, Santa, Easter bunny, etc. We were told from the earliest age that Santa Clause was fake, that there would be no Christmas trees since Canaanites did that, that Halloween was the Celtic pagan holiday of Samhain, Easter was really Pascha and the bunny was a symbol of Ostara the Germanic fertility goddess, etc.

Yeah....good times!

Comment

You must have been a lot of fun for your elementary school classmates.

Comment

We never did the tooth fairy, Santa, Easter bunny, etc. We were told from the earliest age that Santa Clause was fake, that there would be no Christmas trees since Canaanites did that, that Halloween was the Celtic pagan holiday of Samhain, Easter was really Pascha and the bunny was a symbol of Ostara the Germanic fertility goddess, etc.

Yeah….good times!

The big question will be how to you incorporate that "non traditional" experience going forward with your current/future family.  Did you feel that your experience was a positive one and would do the same or similar with your kids or did it cause more harm then good and you will take a more traditional approach?

Comment

My 11 y/o just googled "Is Santa Real?". The answer was that he was dead but lived 1000+ years. Would ask Siri, but would look weird in front of my kid.

Comment

Originally posted by burritos View Post
                            My 11 y/o just googled "Is Santa Real?". The answer was that he was dead but lived 1000+ years. Would ask Siri, but would look weird in front of my kid.
                            ha ha, this year my child has insisted that Santa is just dad. I tried to do a Pascal's wager type of discussion, I think I got back some ground. I also showed her the CNN/Fauci Santa vaccination clip [highly recommended for any kid-at-heart parent]; she kept her cards close to the chest on that one, so I'm not sure of the result.

also had a RogueDad-esque type of Tooth Fairy revelation this year. at one point during a random tirade, it was revealed that a tooth had been lost--without telling anybody--and that proved that dad was the TF. I tried to point out the fallacy in her experimental method, but my heart just wasn't in it.

Comment

Originally posted by G View Post

ha ha, this year my child has insisted that Santa is just dad. I tried to do a Pascal's wager type of discussion, I think I got back some ground. I also showed her the CNN/Fauci Santa vaccination clip [highly recommended for any kid-at-heart parent]; she kept her cards close to the chest on that one, so I'm not sure of the result.

also had a RogueDad-esque type of Tooth Fairy revelation this year. at one point during a random tirade, it was revealed that a tooth had been lost--without telling anybody--and that proved that dad was the TF. I tried to point out the fallacy in her experimental method, but my heart just wasn't in it.
                              When I was a kid I did the same thing. So now I have a jar or my baby teeth rather then a bunch of quarters. I am not sure who the winner is...

Comment

My boys received $1 for each tooth. I've had my patients give their kids absurd amounts of money for these teeth.

Comment

Working...
                                X