Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee aficionados out there ! Coffee subscriptions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one many here have with good reviews https://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Encore-Conical-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B007F183LK/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1JSNRUT2O6689&keywords=burr+coffee+grinder&qid=1561917454&s=gateway&sprefix=burr%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-7

mine, seems great

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Grinder-Electronic-Continuously-Adjustable/dp/B0043095WW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=burr+coffee+grinder+bodum&qid=1561917475&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

Comment

https://www.ranciliogroup.com/5-Rancilio-Dosing-Grinders-MD_80-40-ROCKY--ROCKY-ROCKY_SD_

Comment

Black rifle coffee co (BRCC) subscription. Delicious.

Comment

No fancy grinders or machines here, coffee mug and teaspoon to measure out a teaspoon of instant coffee and sugar and creamer. Add hot water. Of course at work free coffee is available.

Comment

Sorry I'm late to this thread, there have been good suggestions so far.

I too have a Moccamaster and a Barataza Encore I love for daily morning drip.    In the past I've also had a Bonavita that I loved as well, but had the 5 cup smaller model that wasn't great when we had a big group so ended up getting the Mochamaster.  For travel I use a hand crank burr grinder (Porlex mini).

I also have a Gaggia Classic with a Sylvia wand for espresso, but those regular espresso days are few and far between with three little kids now.

Anyway....

I strongly recommend the Baratza Encore and any SCAA certified drip machine (Breville, Moccamaster, etc) as a good burr grinder/drip combo.  I think fresh beans and grinder make up about 90% of the quality of taste though.  Most burr grinders in the $80-140 range (Baratza -preferred IMO-, Bodum, Oxo) are OK with the exception of the Cuisinart line which I think produce inferior grind consistency and too many fines.

For beans I recommend you get them with a "roasted on" date and try to drink within 6 weeks max of roast.  If you live somewhere with a higher end grocery store like Whole Foods or Earth Fare or Wegman's should be able to find regional roasters like Counter Culture, Stumptown, La Colombe, Verve, Heart, etc.  Subscription services in my experience are a little more pricey as usually I can find sales at my local grocers.  Dollar for dollar online sales I think are best at Happymug.com.

Comment

5 mins? I get up early for coffee.

I am the only person in my house that drinks coffee. Others drink tea. So I will have to make all that effort for just one cup for one person. If I make a 8 cup or even 4 cup coffee the rest will go to waste.

So instant coffee it is.

Comment

5 mins? I get up early for coffee. 
                Click to expand…

I am the only person in my house that drinks coffee. Others drink tea. So I will have to make all that effort for just one cup for one person. If I make a 8 cup or even 4 cup coffee the rest will go to waste.

So instant coffee it is.

Kamban.  My dear, lost soul.  If you are ever at my home, I will show you that a two-shot mug of espresso with steamed milk is to instant coffee as a 30 year old scotch is to eating barley cereal.  The ingredients might be the same, but....

If I recall correctly, you do not partake of spirits, but perhaps you get the idea?

Comment

Kamban. My dear, lost soul. If you are ever at my home, I will show you that a two-shot mug of espresso with steamed milk is to instant coffee as a 30 year old scotch is to eating barley cereal. The ingredients might be the same, but….

Actually as an Indian from the Southern part of the country where coffee is grown and actively consumed I used to drink coffee made from freshly ground means and then made into "filter coffee". I still have the metal container to make the strong espresso like liquid but just don't have much time except on occasional weekends.

If I recall correctly, you do not partake of spirits, but perhaps you get the idea?

I do take spirits but am a bit of a snob ?. No blended whisky or bourbon for me. Only single malt. I don't care much for age or cask strength as long it is >10 years old aged.

And occasional gin/tonic and margarita when the temps soar. Never liked rum or Vodka.

Comment

If you like fresh roasted coffee, try roasting your own.  I've been doing it for a year now, started with a popcorn popper (I'm serious ) and now have a Behmor.  Also have a Baratza Virtuoso and do a pour over (Hario) every morning.

The Behmor has paid for itself. Green beans are about 4-5$ a pound, and roast down 30% of water weight. So ends up being about 6$ a pound for fresh roasted coffee. Not as good as professional roasters; however, comes close and can't beat the price. I roast about 1/2 a lb every week.

Comment

If you like fresh roasted coffee, try roasting your own.  I’ve been doing it for a year now, started with a popcorn popper (I’m serious ) and now have a Behmor.  Also have a Baratza Virtuoso and do a pour over (Hario) every morning.

The Behmor has paid for itself. Green beans are about 4-5$ a pound, and roast down 30% of water weight. So ends up being about 6$ a pound for fresh roasted coffee. Not as good as professional roasters; however, comes close and can’t beat the price. I roast about 1/2 a lb every week.

This seems pretty cool.

Click to expand…

So instant coffee it is.

Me too, but I drink 6-8 cups myself. Its not for everyone.

Comment

I mean 1 cup is actually 2 cups and I drink 2 so that's 4.....
                        Then there's lunch......

Comment

I have no bean suggestions, but scored a Franke Flair commerical espresso machine on craigslist. It's rated for 20,000 cups per year, so borderline adequate for my needs. :-)

Comment

I started on a Bonavita machine, but switched to a Chemex in med school, I really couldn’t imagine going back to a machine after doing a manual pour over for so long.

For coffee subscriptions I recommend tradecoffee.com

You can choose your favorite roaster, type of roast or flavor profile.

They have all the major third wave roasters.

Comment

People actually drink instant coffee?  I thought the only purpose of instant was for people who do not normally drink coffee to have "Coffee" available when they have guests over who do drink it.

I can operate a keurig while holding a child or 2 so that is what I use for now otherwise I would not get morning coffee.  Keurig at the office.  Folgers black silk k cups is actually not too bad.   I cannot wait to get back to better stuff.  Maybe in a few years...

Comment

People actually drink instant coffee?  I thought the only purpose of instant was for people who do not normally drink coffee to have “Coffee” available when they have guests over who do drink it.

Not sure which part of this is more alarming. That people would drink instant or that it would only be reserved to give to guests.

Comment

Working...
                                X