X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fatlittlepig
    replied
    2nd amend is a curse on our country. I can imagine Washington and Jefferson waking up in 2018 and seeing AR15s being sold and just laughing at how stupid this country has become.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleeyes
    replied
    Don’t think PVC piping is actively out murdering people.

Leave a comment:

• Panscan
    replied
    should we remove all PVC pipe from the country as well?

Leave a comment:

• Peds
    replied

This country is messed up. Guns everywhere.

might be the best line youve written....

Leave a comment:

• fatlittlepig
    replied

I just checked in with my father, who still belongs to the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, where some nut job shot and killed 8 people this morning. Thankfully, he was not there this morning. Sadly, other worshipers were, and he probably knows one or more of those who perished. Maybe some of those would still be alive if there were fewer guns floating around and not so easily acquired by maniacs. EOM

This country is messed up. Guns everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Panscan
    replied
    media needs to stop publicizing the shooter's story and trying to draw sympathy for them. they clearly want attention, do not give it to them.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied

Thankfully, he was not there this morning. Sadly, other worshipers were, and he probably knows one or more of those who perished.

Prayers be with your father and his friends.

Leave a comment:

• VagabondMD
    replied
    I just checked in with my father, who still belongs to the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, where some nut job shot and killed 8 people this morning. Thankfully, he was not there this morning. Sadly, other worshipers were, and he probably knows one or more of those who perished. Maybe some of those would still be alive if there were fewer guns floating around and not so easily acquired by maniacs. EOM

Edit: The death toll is up to 11 people now, people who were minding their own business and lawfully worshipping.

Leave a comment:

• Dreamgiver
    replied

I’ll start off by saying I don’t own a gun, but am not opposed to it.  I recently had a conversation with an acquaintance who revealed they own over 100+ guns.  I couldn’t figure out why anyone would need that many, but they made the point that to them, guns were sort of an investment as a they hold value or increase in value over time.  Does the forum have any input on this?  I suppose if Crixus finally predicts the future, maybe 100+ guns will be more valuable than all the gold he/she has.  As an aside, I thought to myself that it would be a fun little game to see how many threads we can reference Crixus in.
    Click to expand…

someone who owns 100 guns, there is something wrong there.

I think there is a problem with someone having millions of $$$ in their net worth. Who needs all that money? I say cap it at a couple hundred thousand.

Leave a comment:

• Craigy
    replied

Yours is the most practical advice. Benign neglect works for a lot of things. I guess I was overthinking this. I’m guessing “gun trust” was dreamt up by a member of the ABA and is of recent vintage and all about billable hours. And various classes of guns go in and out of legislative fashion. Remember when under Clinton AR-15’s were banned. Then various jurisdictions banned banana clips. Now I think legislation is pending to get suppressors out of the class 3 “machine gun” type list so the tide is turning.

edit: I hate racking up attorney bills and avoid at every turn. We’ve got revocable trust but I think I’ll just chuck the guns into the personal affects part of the will and make lists as to what would be more thoughtful for each child. ie. our son can handle 40, 45 cal and 12 gauge whereas daughter gets the 9 mm.s, 380s, 20 gauge etc. Son gets AR-15 so he can dress it up like a Barbie doll.

Benign neglect is a no-go on NFA items.

10 years in federal prison is the penalty.

Leave a comment:

• InsureIncome
    replied
    The tax stamp follows the purchaser. If you purchased personally, then the tax stamp is yours personally. If you set up a NFA trust and the trust purchased, then the tax stamp follows the trust, and the trustee can then add or substitute trustees without additional paperwork, which is the benefit of the trust. Transferring an NFA item to a trust, if not originally purchased by the trust, requires a new tax stamp.

As for benign neglect, the ATF will not coming looking for the tax stamp, but whoever possesses the NFA item should be able to present a tax stamp on demand or be in violation of the law. And that's the wild card. Any legitimate law enforcement search (of your heir's home or car) that discovers an NFA item could become a very expensive legal dilemma (felony).

Ignorance of the law may seem like a benign excuse until the ignorant admits something he shouldn't have.

Ask yourself, is this a probable situation? Local law enforcement pulls over your heir for speeding home from the shooting range, and notices a bunch of guns and ammo on the back seat (which is also a violation). And your heir, nervous in the presence of law enforcement, innocently and ignorantly, blurts out how cool his newly inherited NFA items are.

What's a tax stamp? will not be a reasonable defense.

Leave a comment:

• Hatton
    replied
    One person's antique is another one's used furniture.

Leave a comment:

• Tim
    replied

I only have 2 guns. They are not valuable. I have a houseful of antiques. I acquired them by going to auctions out in rural areas. What are they worth.? No idea. I love bidding at auctions and only quit when I could not stuff any more into my house. I too have watched American Pickers. I am not that bad…yet.

Antique Lovers!

I inherited a beautiful antique 1890's handcarved walnut bedroom set with a 7 foot headboard. I had memories of sleeping in Grandpa's room in the summers with the windows open on the farm, listening to the Cardinal's game and memories of summer weeks spent on the family farm. That was the "keepsake" that was going to be "worth something" in the future. Anyone interested IM me and we can make a deal!

One mans trash is another mans treasure!

PS. Move quickly, the wife has been bugging me to let her use the room for her art studio for 30 years.

This is the typical fate of collectibles and memorabilia. One mans treasure is another mans trash!

Leave a comment:

• PhotonsRGR8
    replied
    Yours is the most practical advice. Benign neglect works for a lot of things. I guess I was overthinking this. I'm guessing "gun trust" was dreamt up by a member of the ABA and is of recent vintage and all about billable hours. And various classes of guns go in and out of legislative fashion. Remember when under Clinton AR-15's were banned. Then various jurisdictions banned banana clips. Now I think legislation is pending to get suppressors out of the class 3 "machine gun" type list so the tide is turning.

edit: I hate racking up attorney bills and avoid at every turn. We've got revocable trust but I think I'll just chuck the guns into the personal affects part of the will and make lists as to what would be more thoughtful for each child. ie. our son can handle 40, 45 cal and 12 gauge whereas daughter gets the 9 mm.s, 380s, 20 gauge etc. Son gets AR-15 so he can dress it up like a Barbie doll.

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied

My limited understanding is by setting up a gun trust and making the kids co-trustees, we don’t go through the completely ridiculous fed tax/doc stamp rigamarole, paying 200$ again etc. From reading online the gun trust approach is described as pretty idiot proof, inexpensive and if I’ve got to involve an attorney for a few bucks more to cross the Ts and dot the I’s it might be worth it. Haven’t done it so asking if the forum has. I don’t have an arsenal. I’ve got maybe a dozen, 3 of which required Fed Tax/Doc stamp, sheriff signature on application and extraordinary patience.

Ugh...my plan was to just kind of ignore things.  If I ever get around to a revocable trust, I was wondering if I could toss in there; but again I'll probably just do the benign neglect approach.

When you die: Are you telling me that somebody is going to come to your kids's doors asking for them to turn over said items?  (I have little confidence in our federal government being that efficient/proficient.)  Are you telling me that your kids have to pay for another tax stamp?  (I mean, isn't that kind of like paying import duties on your Chinese goods and then having to pay again?)

Such a ludicrous system that we have....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X