Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, there is a point at which it becomes hoarding.  Suppose everybody has a different opinion where that point is at.

As for investment, I disagree with the comment above about inflation.  Just the opposite, most will keep up with inflation, but there is that immediate depreciation when you walk out the door, similar to a car or a Rolex.

Most people who don't ski wouldn't imagine you need more than a pair of skis.  Well, I have skis for "all-around" resort, early season resort, early season back country, deep powder, deep powder BC, BC approach...and luckily I don't cross-country ski .  Anyway, I make the same comparison with guns.

Comment

I’ll start off by saying I don’t own a gun, but am not opposed to it.  I recently had a conversation with an acquaintance who revealed they own over 100+ guns.  I couldn’t figure out why anyone would need that many, but they made the point that to them, guns were sort of an investment as a they hold value or increase in value over time.  Does the forum have any input on this?  I suppose if Crixus finally predicts the future, maybe 100+ guns will be more valuable than all the gold he/she has.  As an aside, I thought to myself that it would be a fun little game to see how many threads we can reference Crixus in.

someone who owns 100 guns, there is something wrong there.

Comment

I would love to have 100 guns! Do I "need" them? Of course not, I can only shoot one or two at a time.

Comment

Nobody needs it, but I'd love to have it.

There are definitely many investment-grade firearms.  However I'd say they're more a store of value than real appreciating assets.  Most are not going to keep up with the market.  And most things you walk into a dealer and buy new are not going to appreciate at all.  But they're better, more useful than gold bullion.

The other big drawback, investment wise, is that they're not very liquid.  Selling off a big collection, one pistol or rifle at a time, is going to be a PIA.  If you sell in bulk to a dealer or another collector, you're going to have to sell at a discount.

That said, you can make a killing if the political winds change.  Buying little magazines for $10 or $20 each can suddenly turn into $100 and $200 "investments" if congress passes a new law.  But again, liquidating them and actually realizing that gain is a challenge.

Personally I've tried to make it a point to not collect things in general.  It just takes up too much space.  But right now I've got a lot of space dedicated to firearms.   :lol:

Comment

Fatlittlepig is in favor of repeal of 2nd amend. Time for country to modernize.
            Click to expand…

Was hoping to keep politics out of the discussion.  Maybe this should have been about a collection of POGS instead of guns.

Saying "who needs 100 guns" is inherently political.

I imagine WCI forum will be a pretty civil discussion though.

Comment

As a recovering collector (of another genre, rare gold coins specifically), I completely understand the mindset. In order to make money in your collection, you have to think as a dealer/investor. I suspect that there are many inefficiencies in the gun market that can be exploited by someone who is knowledgeable, with a reputation, with the right contacts, etc. But most probably lose money on this "investment". Once I learned this for myself, I jettisoned the collection.

That said, if you enjoy owning 100 guns, 100 gold coins, 100 road bikes, 100 bottles of First Growth Bordeaux, 100 beanie babies, or 100 Mickey Mantle baseball cards, and it is not otherwise interfering with your path to financial independence, go for it!

Comment

I'd always held the view of collectors, of any sort, as miserable narrowly-focused fetishists... I used to like writing instruments, but I never collected them for the sake of collecting them, I wanted what I considered to be supremely functional. Then I got into certain kinds of rugs from tribes in the Caucasus and Afghanistan, and I came to recognize some of those material-accumulation/fetishistic impulses in myself. For example, seeing a particularly attractive and fine Shirvan rug and thinking, this is different enough from the common design that I'd like to have this kind in addition to the usual type.

Ah well, 'nothing human is alien to me'.

Comment

Click to expand…

Was hoping to keep politics out of the discussion.  Maybe this should have been about a collection of POGS instead of guns.
                  Click to expand…

Saying “who needs 100 guns” is inherently political.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Yep sounds like something which applies to 2018. LOL.

this stuff was written when our country was young and vulnerable. Without a large military we needed a method to mobilize people with arms. strange to see physicians who are trained to protect sanctity of life not "get it". gun violence is out of control.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

this stuff was written when our country was young and vulnerable. Without a large military we needed a method to mobilize people with arms. strange to see physicians who are trained to protect sanctity of life not “get it”. gun violence is out of control.

Keep poking and someone may bite.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

this stuff was written when our country was young and vulnerable. Without a large military we needed a method to mobilize people with arms. strange to see physicians who are trained to protect sanctity of life not “get it”. gun violence is out of control.

Click to expand…

I'm close to biting, but I know he's just a troll looking for a fight, so I'll resist

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I’m close to biting, but I know he’s just a troll looking for a fight, so I’ll resist

nah not looking for a fight, just expressing a correct opinion.

Comment

My wife has a 100 shoes(or at least it seems like it). If I were to verbalize that within hearing distance of her, 100 guns would not be able to protect me.

Comment

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

Click to expand…

I’m close to biting, but I know he’s just a troll looking for a fight, so I’ll resist
                            Click to expand…

nah not looking for a fight, just expressing a correct opinion.

This is as much an oxymoron as "alternative facts."
                            I sometimes have trouble reading private messages on the forum. I can also be contacted at [email protected]

Comment

In 1988, I purchased a new Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum revolver for $300. Today on Gunbroker.com, I found a used "like-new-in-the-box" GP100 for sale for $575. A new 2018 GP100 lists for $689. It is exactly the same gun, nothing has changed in 30 years.

Excluding sales tax, shipping and transfer fees (background check), the internal rate of return on this investment has been 2.19%, less than inflation. Had I invested that $300 instead, I could have bought three new guns today (and ammunition too).

Admittedly, a GP100 is not a collectible, it is as ubiquitous as a hammer, but the lost opportunity cost is hard to defend.

Comment

Admittedly, a GP100 is not a collectible, it is as ubiquitous as a hammer, but the lost opportunity cost is hard to defend.

That's just it.  There ARE firearms which qualify as genuine collectibles, but they aren't the ones most people own.  (Just like the original art most people buy which will never appreciate in value, but which does brighten up the walls nicely.  Only a minority of current artists will achieve the stature of Van Gogh or Picasso, and the math insures most of us will not have purchased any of their works before they become really famous.)

The only good reason to own collectibles is the sheer enjoyment you get from owning and adding to the collection.  Any monetary appreciation is fortuitous.

Comment

Working...
                                X