This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who needs 100+ guns?

I'll start off by saying I don't own a gun, but am not opposed to it.  I recently had a conversation with an acquaintance who revealed they own over 100+ guns.  I couldn't figure out why anyone would need that many, but they made the point that to them, guns were sort of an investment as a they hold value or increase in value over time.  Does the forum have any input on this?  I suppose if Crixus finally predicts the future, maybe 100+ guns will be more valuable than all the gold he/she has.  As an aside, I thought to myself that it would be a fun little game to see how many threads we can reference Crixus in.

We have guns but not 100+

Our local gun store also tells us they’re an investment that we could place in a trust and hand down to our heirs

I’m sure guns can appreciate in value but I also thought it was akin to buying whole life insurance because the whole life insurance salesperson said it would be a good idea

Comment

As long as we stick to the investment aspect of it and not turn it into a political reason for owning or not owning 100+ guns, I am OK.

Comment

I think people get obsessed with stuff and become collectors. There are people who own 100+ guitars and make the same argument about future value.  I think it's just a rationalization for collecting 100+ of your favorite items though.  I have a few guns and a few guitars and I might get a couple more of each. Though I probably only "need" zero to one of each.

Comment

The guy who sold me my E.T dolls told me they would be going up too.

Comment

My father-in-law is a huge collector.  I'd imagine he has 200+, and while I don't know much about them, he has quite the collection.  Sure, some may increase in value, but not likely much if you account for inflation.

Comment

I’ll start off by saying I don’t own a gun, but am not opposed to it.  I recently had a conversation with an acquaintance who revealed they own over 100+ guns.  I couldn’t figure out why anyone would need that many, but they made the point that to them, guns were sort of an investment as a they hold value or increase in value over time.  Does the forum have any input on this?  I suppose if Crixus finally predicts the future, maybe 100+ guns will be more valuable than all the gold he/she has.  As an aside, I thought to myself that it would be a fun little game to see how many threads we can reference Crixus in.

I see it as no different than any other hobby that involves collecting stuff.  It's a form of hoarding.  I was briefly into guns and collected probably around a dozen or so.  It's just fun to see all the different types and try out all the different ammo.  That's really all it is for most gun collectors.  I sold most of my collection and now only have 2 and rarely even look at them.

Comment

Our local gun store also tells us they’re an investment that we could place in a trust and hand down to our heirs

I’m sure guns can appreciate in value but I also thought it was akin to buying whole life insurance because the whole life insurance salesperson said it would be a good idea

For some reason a lot of gun collectors believe they are making an investment.  The truth is that very few guns appreciate in value over time.  And very few appreciate enough to actually keep up with inflation.  More realistically they maintain maybe 60-80% of their value over time if I had to guess, assuming they are high quality and well cared for.  Not exactly an investment when the rate of return is -20 to -40%%, lol.

If you've ever watched the show American Pickers, you hear these "collectors" say all the time that their stuff was an investment.  But, really it's just an excuse to remain a hoarder.  Most of the people you see on that show are hoarders and they have a very hard time selling anything.  What ends up happening is they hold on to most of their stuff letting it rot outside or in buildings until they die and then their family gets stuck with it and has to sell it for basically nothing to get rid of it.  Again, not a very sound investment.

Comment

Fatlittlepig is in favor of repeal of 2nd amend. Time for country to modernize.

Comment

Fatlittlepig is in favor of repeal of 2nd amend. Time for country to modernize.

Was hoping to keep politics out of the discussion.  Maybe this should have been about a collection of POGS instead of guns.

Comment

Not a collector, but I've known several who collected for different reasons:

- History lovers who enjoy owning/firing the types of guns that were used at Little Big Horn, The Battle of the Bulge, Hamburger Hill, etc.

- Hunters who want a different caliber for every animal/situation.

- Militia-types who stock up fearing legal changes that would render them unable to ever buy more.

- Artistic-types who think guns (especially wood stocks) are beautiful.  I knew a guy in this camp who had 700, almost none of which he had fired.

I don't know of any who owned guns primarily as an investment (though they may have justified them to their spouses as such!).  But, having a few might be a bit more helpful than the equivalent worth of gold bars or VTSMX in the case of financial collapse.

Comment

I had a patient last night with many guns hidden all around the house. Hasn't been out of the basement in years, unfortunately. Hopefully he'll get the help he needs in the psych ward.
                        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Not a collector, but I’ve known several who collected for different reasons:

– History lovers who enjoy owning/firing the types of guns that were used at Little Big Horn, The Battle of the Bulge, Hamburger Hill, etc.

– Hunters who want a different caliber for every animal/situation.

– Militia-types who stock up fearing legal changes that would render them unable to ever buy more.

– Artistic-types who think guns (especially wood stocks) are beautiful.  I knew a guy in this camp who had 700, almost none of which he had fired.

I don’t know of any who owned guns primarily as an investment (though they may have justified them to their spouses as such!).  But, having a few might be a bit more helpful than the equivalent worth of gold bars or VTSMX in the case of financial collapse.

My father is a combination of #1 and #4 on your list (mostly #4).  Collecting firearms isn't all that different from collecting coins or stamps, really - the same motivations drive any collector.  Guns just take up more room and are scarier to some people than other collectibles (as well as being a bit harder for the heirs to sell off once the collector passes).

Comment

Click to expand…

For some reason a lot of gun collectors believe they are making an investment.  The truth is that very few guns appreciate in value over time.  And very few appreciate enough to actually keep up with inflation.  More realistically they maintain maybe 60-80% of their value over time if I had to guess, assuming they are high quality and well cared for.  Not exactly an investment when the rate of return is -20 to -40%%, lol.

If you’ve ever watched the show American Pickers, you hear these “collectors” say all the time that their stuff was an investment.  But, really it’s just an excuse to remain a hoarder.  Most of the people you see on that show are hoarders and they have a very hard time selling anything.  What ends up happening is they hold on to most of their stuff letting it rot outside or in buildings until they die and then their family gets stuck with it and has to sell it for basically nothing to get rid of it.  Again, not a very sound investment.

As a lifelong shooter and hunter I think you're spot on about this. Used guns are cheaper than new ones. It's a mechanical product that wears down over time (albeit slowly and often not in a major way). The other thing about this is that much like vehicles guns are being updated every year (not much tbh) and mass produced at a high quality/low price point. It's difficult for me to imagine a gun made in 2018 appreciating in the same way it's difficult for me to imagine a car made in 2018 appreciating. What appreciation might be seen could be related to future laws in which well-made restricted models (e.g. AR platform) could become coveted. Interestingly this happened with some ammo a few years back, .22LR became scarce and expensive due to fear of restriction. You used to be able to buy a "brick" of 22 (1000 rds) for like $10, not sure you can do that anymore.

I own several guns, all functional to a purpose. If I get to my ideal/desired steady state I can't imagine wanting to own more than a dozen. I do think some people who don't understand guns can become pretty confused rapidly on how task-specific most gun models are (you can't duck hunt with your deer rifle) and would probably look at some reasonable sporting collections as frightening arsenals.

Being peripherally involved in this culture I can tell you that marketing is a key factor here, especially now everything is obsession with tactical nonsense. I was in Cabelas the other day for some hunting gear (this is just outside of Chicago, not exactly the deep South) and they have a whole section dedicated to tactical gear. The US is slap full of guys who probably couldn't run a mile if a bear was chasing them who are geared up to clear an embassy and awash in the fantasy of same. It's genius marketing I have to give the manufacturers that credit.

Comment

My husband is a history buff who buys serviceable historical rifles.  He looks for guns that were actually used in the civil war, WW1 and WW2. He has French dueling guns, Henrys, and another one from 1600s France with bone inlays. He takes them out shooting targets, so they must be serviceable; finding ammo is a challenge. He loves the provenance hunt. His dealer is a Russian guy who primarily sells US guns to Belgium and French buyers.  Financially, our son will inherit them, so any appreciation will be on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X