Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jfoxcpacfp
    replied
    Yes, you can deduct it if it is 100% business use. But I would assume you will get many years of use out of it; buy what you want. But if you're trying to make a profit, it would make sense not to spend (over the long term) more than you make on fancy stuff. Then the question or ordinary and reasonable comes in - is the desk for personal use, too? For a one-time purchase, I don't see a problem with it.

What you also should know, however, is that if you don't do any more IC work in the future and you convert the desk to "personal" use, you will have to deal with depreciation recapture, assuming you expensed it all in the 1st year.

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied
    @iglord, if you don't sit all day would the Aeron still get your endorsement?

Leave a comment:

• iglord
    replied
    I work at a computer all day long. I splurged on an Aeron chair last year, and it is way more comfortable than any of the $50-300 chairs I've used before from Staples or Sam's Club. It was worth the $1k to save my butt and back. It has made me money since I'm able to work longer than with my old chairs.

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied
    Here is our set up

Leave a comment:

• wideopenspaces
    replied
    We got these great standing desks from here:
    https://www.autonomous.ai/product/standing-desk

Under $300 and I love the function. My husband is a software engineer and works from home alot so "requires" a standing desk and two screens . . . I just think they look good and they keep the cords under pretty good control.

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied

No junk drawers?!

Now I know how folks felt when copernicus disclosed his idea.

not zero, fewer....

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied
    No junk drawers?!

Now I know how folks felt when copernicus disclosed his idea.

Leave a comment:

• MPMD
    replied
    Kind of unrelated to the tax question but a great life hack for me was getting rid of my office/desk and getting a nice laptop.

Forces you to:

• push everything the cloud (I use evernote and recycle all paper)

• not accumulate junk in drawers

Now my office is mobile, plus we have another guest room.

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied
    No, I was just assuming you'd be taking income out of the top bracket.

Leave a comment:

• I Find This Humerus
    replied

Although if your plan is to buy premium, might as well do it when there is a 40% discount.

I can’t justify a home office, but I sure wish I could have deducted my Stickley desk and bookcase.

Is there a flat 40% tax deduction on items?

Leave a comment:

• G
    replied
    Although if your plan is to buy premium, might as well do it when there is a 40% discount.

I can't justify a home office, but I sure wish I could have deducted my Stickley desk and bookcase.

Leave a comment:

• Dreamgiver
    replied
    You are still the one paying for it. So I would not spend more just to get a bigger tax deduction, you are still spending more. As Johanna would say, don't let the tax tail wag the dog.

Leave a comment:

• CordMcNally
    replied
    Never spend $1 to save $0.50 if you don't have to.

Leave a comment:

• childay
    replied
    Slightly derailing your thread, but are these expensive office chairs really worth the price?

Leave a comment:

• jacoavlu
    replied
    hehe just kidding around.

smarter folks will chime in re: deduction to the point of loss, but I think it all depends on reasonableness, and at some point your business will need to turn a profit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X