No announcement yet.

Buying new work desk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although if your plan is to buy premium, might as well do it when there is a 40% discount.

I can’t justify a home office, but I sure wish I could have deducted my Stickley desk and bookcase.

Is there a flat 40% tax deduction on items?

Comment

No, I was just assuming you'd be taking income out of the top bracket.

Comment

Kind of unrelated to the tax question but a great life hack for me was getting rid of my office/desk and getting a nice laptop.

Forces you to:

• push everything the cloud (I use evernote and recycle all paper)

• not accumulate junk in drawers

Now my office is mobile, plus we have another guest room.

Comment

No junk drawers?!

Now I know how folks felt when copernicus disclosed his idea.

Comment

No junk drawers?!

Now I know how folks felt when copernicus disclosed his idea.

not zero, fewer....

Comment

We got these great standing desks from here:
              https://www.autonomous.ai/product/standing-desk

Under $300 and I love the function. My husband is a software engineer and works from home alot so "requires" a standing desk and two screens . . . I just think they look good and they keep the cords under pretty good control.

Comment

Here is our set up

Comment

I work at a computer all day long. I splurged on an Aeron chair last year, and it is way more comfortable than any of the $50-300 chairs I've used before from Staples or Sam's Club. It was worth the $1k to save my butt and back. It has made me money since I'm able to work longer than with my old chairs.

Comment

@iglord, if you don't sit all day would the Aeron still get your endorsement?

Comment

Yes, you can deduct it if it is 100% business use. But I would assume you will get many years of use out of it; buy what you want. But if you're trying to make a profit, it would make sense not to spend (over the long term) more than you make on fancy stuff. Then the question or ordinary and reasonable comes in - is the desk for personal use, too? For a one-time purchase, I don't see a problem with it.

What you also should know, however, is that if you don't do any more IC work in the future and you convert the desk to "personal" use, you will have to deal with depreciation recapture, assuming you expensed it all in the 1st year.
                      Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
                      X