Buying new work desk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying new work desk

i need to buy a work desk to hold a computer I will only be using for my 1099 job. There is no more space on my home desk.

can I splurge and buy one of those $500 standing desks and deduct the cost since I use it only for work?  CAn I get a fancy aileron chair too?

Yes.   For my   1099 job I  deducted the cost of a new chair for my home desk top. My accountant agreed.

Comment

Yes. But is the fancy chair just decoration?

Comment

Maybe a stupid question, but what prevents me from going out and buying the most expensive desk and chair I can find?

if I will make a total $1000 in 1099 income this year can I buy a $2000 chair for a net loss?

A whole separate room in my house will be devoted to this 1099 job so carpet, shelves, etc are all fully tax deductible?

Comment

edited below

Comment

Yes. But is the fancy chair just decoration?

No for comfort while I work.

Comment

wait, so you stand on the chair?

Comment

wait, so you stand on the chair?

Sorry I meant those electric desks that go up and down between sitting and standing height for better health.

Comment

A whole separate room in my house will be devoted to this 1099 job so carpet, shelves, etc are all fully tax deductible?

You have described a home office deduction.  This is different than an equipment purchase.  Home office deductions are rarely worth the hassle;  later having to repay at the time of your home sale.

Comment

You have described a home office deduction.  This is different than an equipment purchase.  Home office deductions are rarely worth the hassle;  later having to repay at the time of your home sale.

So it's better to use this room for work and other stuff too?

Comment

hehe just kidding around.

smarter folks will chime in re: deduction to the point of loss, but I think it all depends on reasonableness, and at some point your business will need to turn a profit.

Comment

Slightly derailing your thread, but are these expensive office chairs really worth the price?

Comment

Never spend $1 to save $0.50 if you don't have to.

Comment

You are still the one paying for it. So I would not spend more just to get a bigger tax deduction, you are still spending more. As Johanna would say, don't let the tax tail wag the dog.

Comment

Although if your plan is to buy premium, might as well do it when there is a 40% discount.

I can't justify a home office, but I sure wish I could have deducted my Stickley desk and bookcase.

Comment

Working...
                              X