20% deduction on pass-through income in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20% deduction on pass-through income in 2018

I understand that the new tax law has 20% deduction on pass-through income.

I had invested some money in real estate and have since sold the property and made a small margin out of it. This income would be counted towards 2018. Does this 'extra' non-clinical income from my RE endeavors qualify for this 20% deduction? Since it was only one property, I have not formed a LLC on this one. Is LLC mandatory to receive 20% deduction on this types of RE income? (I know LLC advantages from litigation perspective but this question is purely for tax purposes).

Thanks in advance.

For tax purposes, you do not need an LLC. As long as you report income on schedule E, it is potentially eligible for the deduction, subject to the income-based limitations discussed in excruciating depth elsewhere. It is important to note that figuring the deduction is on a "per entity" basis, which means that even if you make >$415k taxable income from doctoring, you can still potentially take the deduction on your rental income, it just would be subject to the "25% W2 wages +2.5% unadjusted basis" limitation. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
    X