Professional association vs LLC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional association vs LLC?

Hello all. ER Doctor Independent contractor here. Was going to make an LLC with a professional for my 1099 work with a group. They recommended becoming a Professional association (PA).
    I live in Texas and mainly wanted to make the LLC to be taxed as an S Corp as it saves me about $5k in taxes a year with my distributions. What would you all recommend I do? Continue with the LLC or is there anything special to bring a PA? Thanks so much.

My understanding is they are basically the same thing.  I believe PA can also be taxed as an s-corp.  There is some state variability in terminology.  There is also PLLC in some states for instance..  Perhaps someone in TX will weigh in.

Comment

The main difference between PLLCs and PAs in Texas is that PAs are limited to doctors and PLLCs encompass other professionals who must have a license to operate in TX (CPAs, for example). You can elect s-status with either so it's not going to really make a difference. You are hearing "PA" because that is what most TX doctors are familiar with. Just continue with the PLLC (not LLC) if you've already started the process .
      Working to protect good doctors from bad advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
      X