Senate treatment of selling shares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate treatment of selling shares

Why has no one mentioned this horrible part of their tax plan on this site?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/11/20/senate-tax-bill-ends-this-stock-sale-strategy.html

The loss of the ability to use Specific ID in taxable accounts would basically all but eliminate the ability to tax loss harvest, among other tax management strategies.  :x

You mean in a thread like this one?

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/topic/senate-tax-bill-proposes-eliminating-ability-to-tax-loss-harvest-for-individuals/

Nobody likes to see "their loophole" go away it turns out, but the only way to really simplify the tax code is to eliminate loopholes and lower tax rates. Wouldn't it be awesome if there were no standard deduction, no itemized deductions, no credits and you had tax brackets that were like 5% on first $100K, $15% on 2nd $100K, 25% on 3rd $100K, and 33% after that?

You could do your taxes on a post-card.

But when you only drop some deductions and keep others, there are going to be winners and losers.

Let's wait until the final law and then sort out what our new tax strategies will be.
    Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

You mean in a thread like this one?

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/forums/topic/senate-tax-bill-proposes-eliminating-ability-to-tax-loss-harvest-for-individuals/

Nobody likes to see “their loophole” go away it turns out, but the only way to really simplify the tax code is to eliminate loopholes and lower tax rates. Wouldn’t it be awesome if there were no standard deduction, no itemized deductions, no credits and you had tax brackets that were like 5% on first $100K, $15% on 2nd $100K, 25% on 3rd $100K, and 33% after that?

You could do your taxes on a post-card.

But when you only drop some deductions and keep others, there are going to be winners and losers.

Let’s wait until the final law and then sort out what our new tax strategies will be.

Check the time stamp of the initial posts on these two threads. At least give me credit for posting first.  

Comment

Check the time stamp of the initial posts on these two threads. At least give me credit for posting first

Huh?

You posted on 11/20. The other thread started 11/18. What Am I missing.

Comment

Check the time stamp of the initial posts on these two threads. At least give me credit for posting first 
          Click to expand…

Huh?

You posted on 11/20. The other thread started 11/18. What Am I missing.

A time machine?

Comment

Oops. You got me. My bad. I'll just try to quietly walk away without embarrassing myself further.

Comment

Oops. You got me. My bad. I’ll just try to quietly walk away without embarrassing myself further.

Don't worry. All in good fun  

Comment

Working...
              X