Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student loan interest deduction and grandfathering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student loan interest deduction and grandfathering?

I got a little excited this morning while listening to the podcast because I refinanced student loans last month and thus will be able to deduct all the interest this year, even if student loan interest deductions go away in the future.

Then I realized that like many changes in the tax code, I might have been grandfathered in, so my rejoicing might have been premature. I can't figure this out from google. Does anyone know whether the student loan interest deduction changes (if passed) will include grandfathering?

NB: I'm still happy I refinanced at a lower rate and will be paying off my loans rather than waiting for PSLF.

I got a little excited this morning while listening to the podcast because I refinanced student loans last month and thus will be able to deduct all the interest this year, even if student loan interest deductions go away in the future.

Then I realized that like many changes in the tax code, I might have been grandfathered in, so my rejoicing might have been premature. I can’t figure this out from google. Does anyone know whether the student loan interest deduction changes (if passed) will include grandfathering?

NB: I’m still happy I refinanced at a lower rate and will be paying off my loans rather than waiting for PSLF.

How many years do you have left in residency? For most physicians, as soon as you make attending's salary the deduction would have gone away anyway.

Comment

I have 1.5 more years in residency and another expected 3 in fellowship. (And I'm actually hoping to pay off debt during training. Before refinancing that was in order to claim deductions, but now it's more about moving the power to significantly accumulate earlier.)

Comment

No, there will be no such thing as "grandfathering" any sort of tax deduction.  That would defeat the purpose of getting rid of it no?  They're getting rid of these deductions to raise money for their corporate tax rate decrease.  If they get rid of it, it's gone for everyone.  But, it wouldn't affect you as an attending anyway because you'd be making too much.

Comment

If @hightower is right, it seems really advantageous for residents to refinance before 2018 to squeeze the last little bit of student loan interest deduction out before it disappears.

Comment

Working...
          X