$32 of UBTI in my Solo 401k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $32 of UBTI in my Solo 401k

One of the debt funds in my solo 401k spit out $32 in UBTI this year. UBTI is not captured on the individual return. You have to file as a tax exempt organization through form 990T and efile with special IRS approved software. On the IRS website it says the filing threshold is $1000, and the tax would only be about $3, so I assume I am off the hook. I hope that California will not come after me either for $3 (8.84%), though I suppose anything is possible.

Do any of the experts here think I will have a problem if I ignore the $32 in UBTI?
    Last edited by Lithium; 04-07-2022, 05:32 PM.

If it’s an investment in your 401k, why would any of the dividends, interest, capital gains, etc be taxable currently? I guess I don’t understand how it would matter if it’s from a debt fund, but interested to hear from more knowledgeable folks (calling out Spiritrider here).

Comment

UBTI and UDFI are types of taxable income on tax-exempt entities and tax-advantaged retirement accounts.

For an individual these only apply to alternative invests such as certain debt instruments and real estate in self-directed retirement accounts.

Comment

This is a real estate debt fund. I was under the impression it would not generate UBTI when I invested in it, as the sponsors purportedly do not use leverage, so this was an unpleasant surprise.

Comment

My understanding is that UBIT applies to IRAs but not 401k’s. No guesses about a California grab, but I think it’s safe to say you can ignore it.
          Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory and ignorant advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

The UBTI and UDFI rules for 401k plans reduce but do not eliminate UBIT for certain circumstances.

Comment

Working...
            X