Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1099 Question

Hi everyone,

Love the forum. I have a quick question on how to handle the 1099-Misc income from my sign-on bonus from last year. I signed with a practice in 2015 and received an initial sign-on bonus and a monthly stipend as I finish my fellowship. I received a 1099-Misc and when I went to add it into turbo tax, turbo tax continued to ask me about my business and if I had any business related expenses to deduct. I don't have a business and the only expenses I could think to deduct would be my licensing, dea and society fees. Am I missing something? Should I be doing something different with this income? It seems like I have to pay self-employment tax on this money in addition to just the income at my marginal rate which sort of stinks. Thanks for your help

It doesnt really matter on the tax front as you no doubt have hit the limit anyways so you'll have paid the max employment taxes. I dont know what to say about turbotax, but Ive never had a bonus, so maybe someone has done it. Sometimes turbo tax can be annoying with certain things. Like how it continues to tell me how its working on my refund between segments when I know they can easily teach the software to recognize the giant number at the top and not rub it in the whole time.

Comment

Check this out if not already

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/tax-savings-for-residents/

Also I assume you did not set up a retirement plan for the 1099 income.  I believe it is too late to do so but something to consider in the future if you continue to have 1099s.

Comment

Check this out if not already

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/tax-savings-for-residents/

Also I assume you did not set up a retirement plan for the 1099 income.  I believe it is too late to do so but something to consider in the future if you continue to have 1099s.

Not too late to do a SEP-IRA.
        Helping those who wear the white coat get a fair shake on Wall Street since 2011

Comment

Working...
        X