Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qualified Business Income, big difference 2019 vs 2020, did I make a mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualified Business Income, big difference 2019 vs 2020, did I make a mistake?

This year I'm doing my own taxes on TT as I lost faith in my CPA over random issues (Backdoor Roth, Capital loss carryovers, i401k etc etc). As I'm wrapping up my return, I noticed a big difference between my QBI from 2019 versus 2020. My business income is essentially 1099 income from taking call. In 2019 it was roughly $100k and 2020 it was $91k. In 2019 after business deductions, my net profit was $90k and in 2020 it was $85k.

My confusion is where my QBI calculation is done. I used TT and the same business code was used as 2019 by my CPA. What I found strange was that my 2019 QBI came out to $65k whereas my QBI in 2020 was calculated as $37.5k. I've compared both forms and all numbers are similar except the QBI... Am I making a mistake? I'm sure I'm not providing all the necessary info, please let me know if I'm missing something

No idea but, based on limited info provided, I d/n see how you got those QBI #s in either yr. Did you also have K1’s with 199a pass-through?

Really don’t recommend DIY w/that much 1099, but it’s your party. There is another option - use a qualified and very experienced (in this area) CPA.
    Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

I agree, insufficient information.

The self-employed QBI and the QBI deduction is reduced by any (1/2 SE tax, self-employed health insurance and pre-tax employer retirement plan) deductions.

Then the QBI and the QBI deduction is subject to phaseout based on taxable income.

Comment

I had a W-2 income that was roughly equal to last year's (about $360k) and my 1099 was a few thousand less this year as i noted above. No other income streams. I did contribute the max amount to an i401k both 2019 and 2020. The only different thing i can see on form 8995 is the actual QBI on line 2. I dug trough all the forms and realized that there is a SSTB reduction made on my 2020 form that reduces the QBI down to $37.5. If that is correct, then was my 2019 since it did not have that reduction box checked??

again, I engaged in no other "business" other than being an on call physician

Comment

Check your taxable income and QBI MFJ phaseout bottom (2019 = $321,400, 2020 = $326,600). The (taxable income > phaseout bottom) / $100k = the phaseout percentage.

Unless 2019 and 2020 were wildly different, it is probably likely that the 2019 return is incorrect and will have to be amended.

Comment

Yep that’s what appears to be the problem. Thanks! Another thing my old CPA screwed up on :/

Comment

Working...
            X