No announcement yet.

Tax deduction for job interview travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax deduction for job interview travel?

I am a 4th year resident with w2 as well as 1099 moonlighting income for the year of 2020. During that year I did some traveling related to job interviews and site visits. I am wondering if I am able to write off travel such as flights, car rental, air bnb expenses related to these trips. Additionally it seems to me that I would only be able to write off the portion that was strictly for business. For example, I flew to Hawaii and was there for 5 days, three of which were strictly business. Could I deduct 3/5 of the ticket cost, all or none of it?

Per this post:
    https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/ta...for-residents/
    it seems like I should be able to do so but it was written in 2014 so I don't know if this still applies.

Finally for one more complication, I have a separate business account, but did not use this to purchase the tickets due to lack of foresight. If I am able to write this off, would a transfer for the exact amount from my business to personal account make this more legit, or am I simply out of luck.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I believe that deduction ended in 2017 or 2018?

Comment

“Are Job Search Expenses Deductible in 2020? Job-search expenses are no longer deductible for tax years 2018 through 2025 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress signed into law on December 22, 2017 – as the 2% miscellaneous deduction will be removed.”
      Even moving expenses were eliminated. Taxable income even if reimbursed.

By the way, the standard deduction was raised.
      ”The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) increased the standard deduction from $6,500 to $12,000 for individual filers, from $13,000 to $24,000 for joint returns, and from $9,550 to $18,000 for heads of household in 2018. As before, the amounts are indexed annually for inflation.”

You had to itemize to get reimbursed business expense. Don’t feel bad, you never got both.

Comment

I appreciate the input! I suppose it is just one less thing to worry about.

Comment

Tim is correct, if the expenses are for a W2 position. The account you wrote the check from is irrelevant, fwiw.
          Our passion is protecting clients and others from predatory advisors. Fox & Co CPAs, Fox & Co Wealth Mgmt. 270-247-6087

Comment

Working...
          X